Translate

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Chicken Taco Salad

Apologies in advance for there being no picture for this recipe.  I had been running around all day using my phone and it was dead as a doornail. I did not remember to charge it until I grabbed it to take a quick photo of the dish. No dice, and I was hungry so we ate it all. Just use your imagination and imagine a large bowl filled with chopped lettuce and kale, topped with all the ingredients below.

Chopped lettuce (About 4 cups. I used iceberg and romaine because that is what I had)
Chopped kale (about a cup after chopping)
1/2 carton cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 small onion in paper thin slices, separated into rings
1/2 bell pepper cut in thin strips
1/2 cup black beans
guacamole (optional)
3 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
Layer in 2 large bowls. then top with  the taco chicken

Taco Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut in small pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
taco seasoning
Sauté the chicken pieces  in a medium skillet in the olive oil until they are halfway cooked. Then sprinkle then with taco seasoning. Use about 1/2 of a seasoning envelope. Stir well and cook until the chicken is completely done. Let the chicken cool for a few minutes then put it on top of the cheese. Pour the  cilantro lime dressing over the chicken.

Cilantro lime dressing
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Mix well and pour over the salads.Serve, eat and enjoy.

I intended to serve tortilla chips with TheHub's salad but I forgot them. He liked it perfectly fine without them. Of course, it is a gozillion degrees still and a salad dinner was a perfect way to end a hot, hot day.

This makes a salad dinner for 2. Other than a glass of white wine we had nothing else with the meal and we both left the table very full. This is going to be a for sure addition to our meal rotation. We are even going to try it without the chicken since it is supposed to continue being butt hot into next week.

26 comments:

  1. Not for me. Even the vegetarian version. I hate, loathe, despise coriander/cilantro leaves. I happily use the seeds but but can't cope with the taste of the leaves, which overwhelm any dish they are added to.
    I am glad you enjoyed it, and hope the weather cools down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cilantro is not for everyone. One of my sons tastes "soap"when he eats cilantro and cannot abide it. On the other hand, I love it and the seeds too.

      Delete
    2. I have the gene that's activated too. Us Cilantro-phobes have, on Chromosome 11, a receptor gene called OR6A2 that binds with the aldehydes in cilantro so we taste soap or dirt when we eat it. It affects up to 20% of the human race.
      But otherwise your recipe sounds lovely.....

      I prefer to use Cumin as a result, since eating what tastes like Ivory enhances no dish! lolz

      Delete
    3. My sister must have OR6A2 because she doesn't like cilantro at all.

      Delete
    4. If I tasted dirt or soap I would avoid it at all costs. I am just one of the lucky ones I guess.

      Delete
  2. It sounds delicious. But, send some of your heat this way! It is getting cooler and I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be considered a cold snap here this morning. It is 10 am and only 90 right now.

      Delete
  3. It's unusual year for heat. It has gotten into the 90's almost every day on our trip which is highly unusual for October. Soon enough I'll be complaining about the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I will be complaining of the cold this year. I can always put on more clothes, but you can only take off just so many and then that decency thing is violated.

      Delete
  4. i love the recipe its great how you make it easy for us thanks definitely going to try it out :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If2r_6JbNDA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious, especially the dressing. I'm definitely going to have to try that as I usually just add ranch dressing to a taco salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some leftover cilantro and think I will make more of the dressing to use on mixed greens.

      Delete
  6. This sounds so good and refreshing, Anne. We are still having temps in the high 90s, so this will be a good dinner to make this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty and fast, plus it did not heat up the oven!

      Delete
  7. Yum, this sounds good - I will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth trying and will be in our regular rotation.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It was good, quick and so simple. Plus it is still nearly 100 here so salads rule.

      Delete
  9. I am so glad I have 6 chicken breasts, cooked, cold and ready to eat however we please along with potatoes. We eat few potatoes and eat even less if we have potatoes. It is almost 4 pm and 99F here, same place as you live. Yes, we have tomatoes and lettuce to make this a cool dinner tonight.

    Your dinner sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We will definitely try this. We eat a lot of taco salad (using seasoned ground beef) at our house. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.