Translate

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Mock Cornbread

I have been on the keto bandwagon for a while now. I would like to say I have been diligent, but that would be a big fat lie. Now it is time for me to get crackin' and stay keto faithful . (Mostly because I threw out all my fall/winter duds that were too big and I have ordered several new pieces one size smaller than my current size. It would be very nice if all of them will fit by the time true cooler weather arrives.

Sunday I did a lot of advance cooking. The caregivers were at Mom's with no gap in time, so I could go to her house at my leisure rather than when I had to be there. It was great to be able to get some things done that I needed to get done without serious interruptions. Since it is October and we had a slight break in the weather I decided to make some chili. (It really is still to hot for it, but I wanted some) I have gotten used to making a huge batch of beanless chili, then adding beans to half of it, and tiny cauliflower flowerets to mine. TheHub would probably eat it with cauliflower if I asked him to, but splitting it is easy enough, especially since I was asking him to do the almost unthinkable__eat keto "cornbread".

I will admit I was skeptical about this dish, but tried it anyway. It does contain one ingredient I have never heard of before, and I could only find it online. I decided to give it a try and purchased my first ever bottle of cornbread extract. I am posting a link to this stuff here * though I did lessen my risk when I bought it. Amazon had a pack of ten flavorings that included the cornbread stuff. I figured even if it was horrid I had nine other flavoring options and not all of them could be horrible.



1 1/2 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon cornbread extract
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

















Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder,  onion powder, and salt.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in eggs, sour cream, butter, cornbread extract and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Pour into a well greased pan. I used an 8x8 metal cake pan. Cook for 20 minutes until top is golden brown and cooked through.

Now TheHub and I are both originally from Alabama, we grew up eating what the rest of you call soul food, but we always just called it dinner. Cornbread has always been mandatory with so many of our meals, and I have tried about 5 different keto recipes. All of it looked like cornbread and even felt mostly like cornbread, but fell miles short when it came to the taste. This stuff is nearly spot on, in fact, TheHub had 3 pieces with his chili last night.  I froze the remaining bread and will pull it out and warm it up when we have something else than demands cornbread.  If you are doing keto give this a whirl. It was a fantastic, and I will only change one thing next time. I will make this in mini muffin pans so that every single bite will have some of that delicious crunchy edges . It is making me hungry all over again, just writing about it.

The Pig has collards on sale this week. Collards cornbread and sliced tomatoes might be just what the doctor ordered!

* I have no affiliation with Amazon. This is just where I found it and like it enough to recommend it to others.

23 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found a keto cornbread recipe that both you and your husband found to be acceptable. I've never heard of cornbread extract, but, it's wonderful that it is available! I didn't grow up eating corn bread and the first couple of times I tried it, I didn't like it! But, over the years, I've grown to like it, especially when I make it, myself, although I am aware of the fact that what I make, following the recipe on the back of the box of corn meal, is probably a sweeter and lighter version than authentic cornbread! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that there is any such thing as authentic cornbread, as much as there are regional favorites. This was very much like traditional southern cornbread.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for finding a keto version of something which is obviously a staple. A big hooray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the keto knock off recipes are what we call "almost good" This one was really tasty.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am finding all kinds of things I never knew existed

      Delete
  4. Wow! Cornbread extract. What will they think of next? Seriously, though, a cornbread that is so low-carb -- that must be great. My own cornbread tastes a bit more like cake. I modeled my own recipe off of the Marie Callendar restaurant cornbread, which borders on cake with texture. So, not at all low-carb or anywhere near keto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am southern and we eat a dense unsweetened cornbread. This had almost the same consistency I am used to, and tasted almost the same.

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I don't eat beans I chili, so I am ahead on that one. I rarely eat cornbread and not with chili. I do see recipes that call for almond flour that I might try. Cornbread extract? I grew up eating cornbread, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have cornbread often and now we can keep having it.

      Delete
  6. It sounds so wrong but if the taste was good, good for you. What were you other flavorings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberry, Fuji Apple, Corn Bread, Pound Cake, Cinnamon Danish Swirl, Coconut, Vanilla Cupcake,Pumpkin Spice, Maple Syrup and Carrot Cake. I might try to make a fake pumpkin spice latte tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. I have eaten corn bread only once, and didn’t really like it. I have a friend who is trying to go keto, I’ll show her this recipe. Thanks Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that such an extract exists.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. I have been stunned at the different flavors that are out there and available.

      Delete
  9. Are you doing strict keto, or just trying recipes? I have trouble finding items with no carbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most days I do strict keto. This cornbread falls in the strict realm, but occasionally I do lazy keto. Then about 2 times a month I abandon keto and eat whatever sounds really good that day.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Had no idea about the extract and will check it out. Good for your keto diet! Have to try this recipe soon since we're cornbread lovers, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make it use mini muffins instead of a pan or skillet. The crunchy outside is what really picks up the corn meal taste and you might as well give your taste buds a treat.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.