Translate

Monday, October 21, 2019

It's a Mouthful

After several weeks of no meal planning I returned to my usual planning and then changing what I had planned. The following is what I had planned:

1. Soup and bread (either keto cornbread or dinner rolls)
2. Keto pork stew over broccoli
3. Leftover Brazilian, tossed salad
4. Sesame chicken over rice or cauli rice, asparagus
5. Philly cheesesteak one pot dish
6. Corn dogs , coleslaw
7. Chili, keto cornbread, cucumber slices

Monday: Happy Birthday to TheHub, whose birthday I promptly forgot until early afternoon. As usual I get to start my day going to Mom's house where there is a time gap in her home care. When her daytime caregiver got there I had to run a few errands for her and had just enough time to come home, shower and dress to take her to a dentist appointment. She wanted to stop by Walmart and look at things (thank you Walmart for having a wheeled seated cart so I could push her around the store without her being in a wheelchair. She refuses to sit in a wheelchair, even though it would make her life much easier) I got home remember the birthday and made plans for us to go celebrate.
Inexpensive Mexican dinner (Fajitas without the rice, beans or tortillas are keto. Hurrah)

Tuesday: Except for my morning at Mom's I spent the day doing food prep in one fashion or another. I did actual prep with a lot of beef. The Pig had a super deal on ground chuck and pork tenderloins. I bought about 15 pounds of chuck and 5 tenderloins. Sine the tenderloins are cryovac  sealed all I had to do was find space in the freezer for them. I browned 3 pounds of the chuck and put it in freezer bags, made chili, spaghetti sauce, picadillo, meat loaf, froze hamburger patties, but all of that needed a place in the freezer. Uh oh! I wound up taking things out, rearranging and taking some things out that needed to be used right away, both to clear space and because they had been frozen a good while. That lead to a whole other round of cooking. In addition to the stuff in the freezer, I now have a couple of soups made, 2 jars of veggie stock, blueberries for a buckle or pie, and 2 veggie casseroles in the auxiliary refrigerator. Somebody at this house has got to do some serious eating. After also doing a thorough refrigerator inventory, the only thing I am buying for groceries this week is a rack of lamb that Aldi has on sale. I am unsure if I will get one or two but I will butcher the rack and put it in meal size serving bags. Then on a night I need something quick I can take them out of the freezer  to thaw and throw them on the grill.
Leftover Brazilian (TheHub) Leftover pumpkin soup (me)

Wednesday: As usual I got up and went to Mom's house right out of the chute. I left her house to go to my Wednesday class but felt really bad, so I came home, read and rested for a little bit. Afterward I put Mom's new rollator together , which I hope will make taking her out of the house a little easier.
TheHub decided to come home rather than go to the dinner meeting, but he did not let me know he was coming until about 5. No dinner was planned so he ate leftover soup and I ate a fake potato soup I had made Tuesday while I was in a cooking frenzy.
Soup, garlic bread (TheHub), keto cornbread (me)

Thursday: I called for a non-keto day. I began the day at Mom's as usual then headed home to do a task I abhor, but it has to be done annually. It was defrost the upright freezer day. Yuck! While I was defrosting I found a DiGiorno's pizza and decided it would be our dinner. (I am sure the keto cops will be at my door with a warrant or fine for not maintaining strict keto, but such is life.) I wanted to get rid of it rather than have to place it back in the freezer. In fact I also ate some crappy frozen meal for lunch just to get rid of it too! Both were less than stellar.
DiGiorno's pepperoni pizza, tossed salad

Friday: We had planned to go to the lake Friday afternoon but TheHub was buried in work so we opted to stay home. I had cooked dinner as soon as I got back from my daily morning duty at Mom's, because I had no idea the work issue would appear. We like to have something that just needs a quick heat and serve when we go Friday evening. The only restaurant closer than 15 miles away allows smoking, so we have never eaten there, which means we eat in the cabin. TheHub really wanted to go somewhere and have a drink. Instead I actually made him a martini (I never do that but his day was horrible and I decided to be nice instead of our norm, which is if you want something to drink, fix it yourself) We sat on the porch then warmed up the stuff I made earlier.
Philly cheesesteak one pan dish, coleslaw

Saturday: This was an odd day. TheHub and Son2 go to Alabama home football games together and DIL2 and Shelby, the dog, come spend time with me.We watch the game, I cook and then we  eat and talk. This time the game Saturday was not until 8 pm.  DIL2 had texted me that they had some leftover chicken and veggies and she was bringing it.  Game day and no cooking? Fabulous! And the food___it was delicious. And being with Dil and Shelby was wonderful!
Coq au vin, coleslaw, keto cornbread

Sunday: TheHub  got home from the ballgame at about 1:30 am. The late night  following a hellacious week of work caused a major crash.  He spent the brunt of the day reading, then went with me to Aldi. We stopped on the way home at an overlook to watch the sun go down. After it set the sky to the southwest of us looked like pink cotton candy. It was really gorgeous. We came home loaded with produce and decided on a simple dinner.
Egg roll in a bowl ( Earlier in the week I had browned ground chuck and just tossed it in a skillet with sesame oil, a bag of coleslaw mix, a chopped onion and some seasonings.)

And this is what is planned  for the week: It may or may not happen but we will eat (and occasionally overeat)

1. Keto German pork roast, cabbage, asparagus, mashed potatoes or cauli mash
2. Leftover roast, collards keto corn muffins
3. Spaghetti sauce with noodles or zoodles, tossed salad
4. (Anniversary Dinner) Pan seared scallops, asparagus, tossed salad,  potatoes (we are going out to celebrate the week after, but will have this on the actual day, unless TheHub goes to the Alabama game. If he does we might have this on Sunday.We have had so many anniversaries that I am OK either way)
5. Some type of soup with salad
6. Hot chicken salad, spinach, rolls or keto rolls
7. Sausage appetizer tray, tossed salad
 

18 comments:

  1. Happy (belated) birthday to your husband! Glad you were able to go out to dinner to celebrate. The rest of your week's dinners sound pretty good, too, even if you weren't able to go to the lake place. Next week's meal plans sound good, too, and hope you both have a lovely anniversary dinner!

    On the menu for this week's dinners, here, are: leftovers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had an event we would be eating nothing but leftovers!

      Delete
  2. It sounds as though there were no mother emergencies which is a good thing. I can no longer eat coleslaw, so even reading it makes me hungry for it. I answered your question on my last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Mom emergencies is a great, not good thing! I think you confused me with a different Anne

      Delete
  3. A very, very busy week (for a change). I am glad that there were some highlights. And v sorry that the food you ate rather than put back in the freezer was less than stellar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is food and does not have to be wonderful to do its job. However I will not be buying a frozen pizza again anytime soon.

      Delete
  4. So far this week we've had potato soup with grilled cheese on crusty bread, I need to make something different for today, and have pork BBQ sandwiches lined up for today. Spaghetti, loaded baked potatoes, taco soup, and chicken will round out the week here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all sounds good. Spaghetti is one of my go-to's and is one of TheHub's favorite meals.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to your husband and Happy Anniversary too!

    I'm really working to clear out my freezer, but lean ground beef was on sale yesterday so of course I had to pick up a package. Not 15 pounds by any stretch of the imagination though.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your Hubby, he sounds like a great guy. Aren't daughter in laws wonderful? I am trying so hard to eat the freezer down and then boom it is full again. How does that happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub is a good egg and most of the time is pretty agreeable. My Dil's are all wonderful women and I am so blessed they chose my sons!
      I am not sure how the freezer boom happens to you, but in the past 2 weeks I have bought 5 pork tenderloins, a pork loin, 1 London broil and over 20 pounds of ground chuck. Plus I am going to pick up a couple of packs of boneless skinless chicken thighs tomorrow. I have this compulsion when prices are at their lowest to overstock the freezer.

      Delete
  7. Birthdays and anniversaries and a clean freezer. Sounds like congrats are in order at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainly for the freezer. TheHub and I have both had lots of birthdays and anniversaries!

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday to your husband!
    I started reading your post while I had a short break at work, and had to stop because it started to make me hungry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Of course as the week has progressed I have gone way off the plan.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.