Translate

Sunday, April 19, 2020

"Fine" Dining Quarantine Style

Ok this was the official list of dining possibilities for the past week. As usual it did not happen exactly, but that is fine. Even though life is moving slowly these days, it is still moving and things as well as desires change. Although none of this was "Fine Dining" in the traditional sense, the meals were perfectly fine. 

What was planned:
1. Hamburger helper, broccoli
2. Navy bean salad, garlic toast. green beans
3. Tuna patty , coleslaw, green beans
4. Grilled chicken over couscous, Brussels sprouts
5. Tiki Masala over rice, broccoli
6. Grilled mahi mahi burgers, faro/cucumber salad
7. Take out from somewhere

What really happened
Monday: It was a blah type of day. I think the isolation is really getting the best of me, so I decided at the least I could experiment in the kitchen . If I couldn't go outside and play with my friends I could at least play with my food.
Tuna patty, coleslaw, green beans

Tuesday: Tuesday was a laundry kind of day with a side of Indian subcontinent. 
Chicken Tiki Masala, broccoli

Wednesday:  Who ever knew staying confined could be so difficult. When the going gets tough, the tough find a cake mix in the back of the pantry and make cake.
White bean salad, cornbread, German Chocolate dump cake

Thursday: Another lake house pantry clean out item gone!
Hamburger helper with added onions, mushrooms and broccoli, tossed salad

Friday: We went to the lake place to check on it, grab some remaining pantry items there, and grabbed take out on the way home
Costa's baked ziti, tossed salad

Saturday: We were both going a little stir crazy, so we went out to eat for lunch, which is a current metaphor for picking up a couple of sandwiches at a drive through, parking at a private garden and eating in the car overlooking hostas and irises. Since we ate late we were not terribly hungry for dinner. Fortunately I found a well hidden bag in the freezer.
Potstickers with dipping sauce, cucumber, onion, radish and tomato salad

Sunday: The day began with rain and ended with more rain. Lots and lots of rain! We decided to have breakfast together and then just nosh on leftovers for the rest of the day, so I guess the meal I will count is actually our morning meal.
Toast, bacon, eggs, coffee.  Oh and I found another cake mix and some cherries in the freezer. Cherry dump cake might have happened!

Planned for The New Week and yes I am laying off Keto one more week to use stuff
1. Black beans and rice, coleslaw, cornbread
2. Fettuccine with Alfredo sauce, green salad, asparagus
3. Smoked sausage, with cabbage and potatoes
4. Grilled brined chicken, brussels sprouts, sliced tomatoes, rice
5. Hamburger helper with peppers, zucchini and onions added, coleslaw, 
6. Loaded nachos and a side salad
7. Loaded baked potatoes, broccoli



Stuff I had on hand that was used:  (This is really for my benefit, feel free to skip it or read it if you want.)
I have decided to keep a list of the food items I used to make meals, or baked items including anything I consume during the day that is outside of my usual meal prep just to keep my inventory straight. 
I am a coffee for breakfast kind of gal and generally eat only leftovers for the mid-day meal, so those are already accounted for in the list.  My snacks are either something leftover or some fruit. (BTW cookies or a piece of cake from the freezer are made from supplies I used prior to starting this so they will not be listed  even if they were eaten and enjoyed.  I am a threat to freeze things just to get them out of my line of fire, but  that has not stopped me from grabbing the occasional piece of the snicker doodle cake. Especially after I found zapping it for 25 seconds makes a perfect and perfectly warm snack. Gotta go back to keto living soon or I will not fit through the front door when quarantine is over.)


From the freezer:
1 mini pizza (lunch)
1 boneless chicken breast
1 pack ground chuck
Ralston whole wheat cereal (No idea why I ever bought this)
Bag of Trader Joe's potstickers
Bag frozen cherries
2 servings ice cream
5 slices cooked bacon
4 slices sliced Italian bread


 From the pantry
1 can albacore tuna
1 can French style green beans (gross, bought by mistake and now gone forever)
1 cup oatmeal 
Tiki Masala dinner mix (Lake Place rescue)
coffee (lots of coffee, but I still have 4 unopened bags in the freezer)
4 family size tea bags
sucralose
flour
1 cup navy beans
1 Jiffy corn muffin mix (Lake place rescue)
1/2 German Chocolate cake mix (Lake place rescue)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 bag chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut
flour
sugar
seasonings
mayonnaise
olive oil
red wine vingeagr
Hamburger Helper (Lake place rescue)
1/2 (wish) cup popcorn
1/2 yellow cake mix (Lake place rescue)
soy sauce
sesame oil


Produce
1 large bag coleslaw mix
6 tangerines
1 huge bunch broccoli
remains of the bag of spinach (1/3 maybe)
12 radishes
1/2 red onion
2 cups baby carrots
1 yellow onion
1 carton mushrooms
1 romaine heart
20ish cherry tomatoes
1 tomato
2 cucumbers
handful scallions

Eggs and Dairy
6 eggs
butter

Bought for this weeks meals:
nothing, but TheHub did buy some ice cream

Depending on the weather, I have a large instacart order ready to place Monday or Tuesday. I have very little produce left: a few carrots, radishes, 1/2 cucumber, a few scallions, a little coleslaw, 1/2 pound asparagus, a couple of tangerines,  a couple of potatoes, and lots of onions so I am stocking up on produce. I should be buying enough to last at least 2 more weeks.
I have no bread, other than 4 slices of Italian bread in the freezer, so that is on the list too
And snacks__we need some snack type foods. Getting tired of popcorn
I still have a boatload of proteins in the freezer, along with butter,  and cheese and a drawer full of frozen veggies, but I might get one more carton of eggs.




17 comments:

  1. He is a good shopper if he brings home ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he needed some and I have not been buying it for several months

      Delete
  2. Good luck.
    I will confess to being surprised that you have cake mix in the cupboard. My mother brought me up to believe that was truly lazy and this is one of her dictims that I have taken on board. Mind you we rarely get cake (and there may be a link.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept a lot of things at the lake that I did not keep at the house. Now I am trying to use them just to get rid of them

      Delete
    2. I'm smiling at Elephant's Child's mom's decree of cake mixes as truly lazy. Well, that would be me as I am lost always have one on hand since I discovered how versatile they are to make a quick batch of cookies, desert bars, and of course, a cake. Will they ever taste as good as form scratch? Likely not, but I'm not picturing my nephews turning a slice down.

      Delete
    3. I am not above using a cake mix either, obviously since I had 3 of them at the lake. I am also not above having Pillsbury refrigerator pie crusts. I keep 2 boxes of them in the freezer at all times, probably because I am lazy but they are as good as I can make from scratch and infinitely easier.

      Delete
  3. You are doing a fantastic job of cooking from your pantry (actually, two pantries) and coming up with some great dinner menus. You have also been experimenting with recipes for your son who needs to cook from a smaller sized pantry. Those recipes have turned out to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far they have been successful, but there are bound to be some that don't work at all.

      Delete
  4. I love the series you are doing on cooking for your Son and DIL in NYC. I need to get beans soaking for both old fashion baked beans and want to try the bean salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made old fashioned baked beans. Our traditional southern version is highly sweetened and nothing like what my Father in Law remembered from his boyhood growing up outside Boston.

      Delete
  5. It's almost impossible to get a delivery slot here, so we've still been buying produce at Costco. M waits in the giant line, and we try to buy enough. Once you get in, he reports that it's actually really civilized, with lots of spacing & everyone in gloves & masks. Our fridges (we have two) are full to bursting, so hopefully we can go a little longer without going back this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my regular fridge and a smaller one in the laundry room. Hopefully after this delivery I will have it filled with produce again

      Delete
  6. I am enjoying reading what you are making, plan to make, what you are using up, etc. Ha, ha, I have the makings of a dump cake (apple pie filling and cake mix) in the pantry, right now, but, for some strange reason, what I keep craving are savory snacks, not sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the off keto weeks I go overboard on the sweet stuff. One more week off to clear out a few more foods and then it's back to keto

      Delete
  7. I had been snacking on popcorn, but then I heard others were avoiding it in case they break a tooth or get a hull stuck in their gums because dentists are closed except for emergencies. My husband has a toothache that keeps him up at night, but that's not considered an emergency because he's not bleeding or having his breathing obstructed. The dentist told hime to use fluorine mouthwash until he's allowed to open the office.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.