Translate

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Quarantine Cooking__Tuna Patties

I have mentioned that I am trying different ways of making foods that are traditionally on hand so that I can share the results with Son3 and DIL3 and anyone else who is trying to make their available foods go as far as possible while sequestering in the home.

This "recipe',  and I use that term lightly even though I did take the time to actually measure what I put in the bowl, is pretty easy and straight forward using minimal ingredients for a little bit of a change to a food item nearly everyone has on hand.

Tuna Patties
1 can albacore solid pack tuna, drained*
1/3 cup canned creamed corn, or 1/4 cup whole kernel corn
2 tablespoons flour (if using niblet corn increase the flour to 3 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon dijon or whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (1/4 teaspoon vinegar if you have no lemon juice)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon savory or herb of choice (optional)

In a small bowl break the tuna apart  with a fork. Then stir in the flour and baking powder and mix together. Next add the remaining ingredients and blend well.
Grease a skillet or griddle pan with nonstick spray, melted butter, ghee, or oil. When the pan is hot (medium high heat setting) spoon the tuna mixture onto the surface much like you would for a pancake. Wait until the patty is set (4 or 5 minutes ) then gently turn it. Lower the heat a little and cook until it is totally done (about 5 -6 more minutes)

Place on a plate,  top with a dollop of tartar sauce and serve. This made enough for two generous portions but could serve 4 if you had a substantial side dish.


Quick and easy tartar sauce
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon minced onion
1 teaspoon minced pickles (dill or sweet, your choice)
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
Mix all together in a small bowl

This was  tasty and really did not have an overpowering tuna taste. It was a quick and very easy main dish which is seriously economic using ingredients that nearly everyone has on hand.  I will make it again  and  I am also going to try the same basic recipe (without the corn) the next time we have leftover mashed potatoes using southwestern spices. For that I will leave off the tartar sauce and add a dollop of salsa and sour cream instead.

We are all in this together, and I have a couple of ideas to try later in the week. I am so grateful TheHub is more than willing to be  my partner and taste tester in this venture.



* I am sure standard chuck light tuna would also work, but I would use two cans instead of one.

26 comments:

  1. That is basically my take on tuna/salmon croquettes, but I never like tartar sauce. Maybe it will give people an idea of what else can be done with a can of tuna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up eating salmon croquettes, but we only had tuna as tuna salad or fresh tuna steaks. My salmon croquettes are pretty different from this, and it is not something we eat more than once a year. We much prefer just a piece of salmon on occasion.

      Delete
  2. My grandmother would make these with canned mackerel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never eaten canned mackerel. I guess I need to add it to my pantry

      Delete
  3. Oh that is my kind of meal. I just love tuna so that could a recipe for tomorrow! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound simple and good.
    I suspect I would add some chilli, but the joy of recipes like this one is that they are readily 'tweakable'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every recipe in the world is merely a suggestion!

      Delete
  5. Those tuna patties sound good! I have made something similar with canned salmon and leftover spicy potatoes, mixed together. According to my daughter, who tried to do the same using leftover mashed potatoes, it doesn't have the same good taste as when made with the spicy potatoes! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tuna patties - hubby does not unfortunately. I also love a good tuna melt (due to taste and the 5 minutes prep/cook/to face time. Next time he has salmon I am going to fix me some (I hate salmon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like salmon in small doses. I will admit a fondness for a tuna melt occasionally too!

      Delete
  7. Yum, fishcakes are such economical goodies to make and taste great. I am building up to making some of these and will add some cooked surplus potato I think. thanks for the reminder and a great recipe. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just throwing out ideas for a quick accessible meal. Enjoy the ones you make!

      Delete
  8. I love salmon patties but rarely make them as my kids didn't care for them. I may have to try again. Tonight though I'm making your hotdog hash with a few changes. I didn't have peppers or mushrooms (the latter I never have - not a fan) so I used radish instead of the pepper since it has a peppery taste. I used a mixture of spices (Mrs. Dash spicy) plus chili and garlic powder. It smells delicious! I am going to top it with a fried egg for some moisture and I expect my son will add cheese.

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the hash. I love it when people add their own flair, because recipes are meant to be changed and improved!

      Delete
  9. these look very tasty Anne. I too am going thru my pantry and freezer to hunt up oddments for quarantine cooking:) The things i've found... keep well
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am mainly trying to limit the number of times I have to go to the store, so using staples differently helps.

      Delete
  10. I wouldn't have thought of the corn. I've made a version but yours sound better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good - we will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty and something different to do with a can of tuna.

      Delete
  12. I have never put creamed corn into tuna cakes. Just so happens that I found a can in the pantry, so I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had either, but it worked. But then again I had never had a tuna patty until Monday.

      Delete
  13. I made this for lunch today and it was great. We both enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.