Translate

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

TheThirteenth Week of Joys

Since 2020 began I have been keeping up with my daily joys. My aim is to reread all these joys that occur throughout the year on New Year's Eve so I can see how many truly good things happen regularly. (You know, those things that are really good but just don't stay front and center of the vault otherwise know as our brain) Little did I know when I started this project that there would be such a disturbance in the force.
This begins another week of being at home and my biggest single joy is technology that makes this isolation so much more bearable. I cannot imagine how hard it would be if we were not able to connect face to face with our friends and family members even though some of the the distances are vast. Since we are looking down the pipe at another month (at least) of this, I imagine we are all going to become more and more dependent on it.

Wednesday: I woke at the crack of dawn so I could get a shower, put on decent clothes and a dab of makeup. I wanted to be at the grocery store the minute it opened, and even by getting there just 5 minutes after 7, the lot was full!?!  Walking through the store I noticed they were out of many different things, (no toilet paper, paper towels or napkins) and according to an employee they had no idea when they would get any more in.  The produce aisles had about 1/2 the usual amount with some items being completely sold out, and the meat counter was virtually wiped out. I did manage to find one beautiful porterhouse steak and we always share one anyway so it was our dinner.
The sky was blue, it was warm and the dogwoods and azaleas were in full bloom.  The temps were warm enough that I could wash the screened porch to get rid of most of the pollen opening the potential for eating outside during the week. (OK it was really just depollenization, round one, but at least the floor is no longer yellow, and we can sit out there in the evening.)

Thursday: I had a surprise Zoom* video call with the participants of Independence Place. What incredible joy to see their faces and hear their voices. They loved getting to "see and visit" with each other. I plan to join some future calls if I am invited.

Friday:  I really and truly have no clue what happened when or where on Friday. I know I had some fun FaceTime visits with Pip, but other than that I really don't remember what I did. I just know other than going to Mom's I was here__at home__doing nothing special.


Saturday: We headed to the lake to show the house. While there, we loaded up a huge amount of food to bring home. I had non idea I had taken so many things there and since they serve no purpose if we are not spending time there, I figured it might as well come home and be used here. So I got to view the lake and watch the boats going up and down, got to see the herons, and scored a huge amount of food. We left later than we planned so we stopped at one of our favorite bbq joints and picked up some really good food for dinner.

Sunday: We started the morning watching our church sermon which was streamed via Facebook. Then we went about the day doing some odds and ends until early evening. Our Sunday School class decided to try to have a group visit using Webex.  It was not totally successful, but was a way to be in touch even though we could not see several of the participating members.  At least we could hear them. I think we are a bunch of technidiots!

Monday: I suppose the most joyful thing I did was a huge catch up on laundry, plus I got the remaining winter clothes changed over. There are no more cold weather duds lingering in my closet or drawers and for that I am very glad. TheHub is almost through with his seasonal wardrobe changes too. I still have not swapped my comforter and shams for their summer counterparts and will probably wait until mid April, just in case we have one more cold snap.

Tuesday: Well wouldn't you know it. The day after I finished swapping out my clothes, the temps dropped. Fortunately for me the only place I ever really have to go is to Mom's so sweat pants, tee shirts and a jacket will suffice for as many days as necessary. I guess that is what I get for being ahead of the game!
Honestly the day was a little lackluster for the most part until the evening. Son2 set up a game night via the Zoom app  so we could see and hear each other and used JackTV.com to play the actual games.
Son2, DIL2, Son3, DIL3, and I played a couple of games while talking among ourselves. It was a fun way to feel a little less isolated, but my sons are super competitive. I have no idea who they get it from! Son1 and DIL1 were also invited to join in, but the time difference did not work for them. It is just as well since he is as competitive as the other 2 and it would have become an evening straight out of Hunger Games where only one could survive.
Son2 may had sent up a cheesy selfie in a victory pose with the title 3X CHAMP underneath it.  Yeah, he has s big target on his back!


On a different note, I am looking for book recommendations, along with any good Netflix or Amazon Prime movie or series.  I am a threat to take my tablet wherever in the house I am working and mostly listen to a show or series just glancing at it occasionally. I need something good to binge since I seem to have time right now. (I can even hear/see shows from my closet so there is no excuse for me not cleaning it)
If you listened to the podcast S-Town, I would highly recommend Tiger King (Netflix). It was a train wreck I could not quit listening to/watching. There is nothing wonderful about the people in it, or the subject matter, or even the quality of the production yet I was hooked and binged over 2 days. I will just use a few words and let your imaginations run wild: peroxide, tattoos, piercings, amputees, missing teeth, big cats, and a freak on a leash. If that doesn't cause a reaction of some sort or another, then you just can be neither enticed nor repulsed (or possibly both)
Another interesting series is Undone (Amazon Prime). It looks like it was filmed digitally then had an animation filter applied to it. The story is a little far fetched but was still fun to watch. I am not sure if it will be on another season or if it is a one and done thing. If so it ended a little differently than I thought it would,  but I have seen enough things in my life to know sometimes things just end.

*Zoom is a wonderful way to have multi people in on the same chat. I can see it being a sanity saver during the coming weeks.  It is free and really can connect a group with minimal effort!


22 comments:

  1. Yes zoom is great - even the paid platform is so much easier than the old one we used to use and way cheaper too (I realize you can get it for free but for business we pay $20 for it - there are some features that we need that the paid version gives). Hubby had a virtual cocktail happy hour with one of our companies we work with the last 2 Friday afternoons, gives everyone a chance to laugh and not talk about business which they normally do. We used it for a family call last week, it was nice to see siblings interacting together when they don't normally call one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what a wonderful app it is. Like usual I am always a little late to the party, but really enjoy it once I get there. I hope we will have a lot more games since we have at least another month of this new lifestyle. Maybe we could have a blog meet and greet?

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you are running short of things at the market. So far I only see shortages in toilet paper. although we can go to our mill to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I am still ok with everything except fresh produce here. I am having to run out much more than necessary for Mom though.

      Delete
  3. Walmart in Bessemer had plenty of tp. People were walking by and not getting any. Actually, the aisle was empty except for me and a guy who was browsing, it appeared. I can imagine three boys being competitive all on their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find toilet paper anywhere over here, and I probably won't venture to Bessemer unless I get desperate! Desperation knows no boundaries!

      Delete
  4. Yes, we have shortges as well, but darned if I am going to order (I do not go myself) once a week, I have plenty in the house to make with whatever I can find. Of course as I said, nary a clorox wipe, or lysol spray or paper towel. I will do Zoom for my retirement meeup on Monday for the first time-try it for the forty minutes and if we like it then I will happily upgrade, ya know. I tend to enjoy the good cop shows and variety shows. If you like science fiction even a teeny bit (its really more an adventure thriller than Sci fi) I really recomment the expanse. I just finished Altered Carbon and am off to the Valhalla Murders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like sci fi, more than a little bit! Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  5. We liked the first season of Virgin River, and are currently watching Ozark ( which is rather dark) -- both are on Netfix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get into Ozark but never did. I will check out Virgin River

      Delete
  6. I am going to have to explore Zoom (and am definitely a technoidiot).
    Hooray for finding splashes of joy. They really do make a difference don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If zoom is easy enough for me to figure out, it is easy enough for anybody!

      Delete
  7. I've been hearing about Tiger King in several places, so I may have to check it out. Same thing for Zoom and I read that it has beaten Skype already. Pretty neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger King is bizarre to say the least, but I watched and could not stop watching. If I were not bound to the house I probably would never have looked at it.

      Delete
  8. I have heard about Tiger King but based on my daughter's description and yours I'll pass. I'm not help with Netflix as I've yet to find anything I'll watch on it. I guess I'm too used to the cable television programming or I haven't given Netflix enough of an opportunity.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Netflix because it is extremely totable. I can move my tablet from room to room while I work and stay amused at the same time. Plus most shows you really don't have to watch and can just listen to the brunt of the show.

      Delete
  9. I believe my daughter's workplace uses Zoom for meetings and so forth during this period of working from home. But, I've never used it.

    I like your list of joys, at least, the ones you remembered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I am going to have to start writing them days asnthey happen or at least the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have started watching the old (2000) sci-fi show, Firefly. We missed it the first time around. It only lasted one season, but many say it's the best sci-fi show ever made. I'm not a sci-fi person, but I find the characters quite compelling. We got it through Amazon Prime, but we had to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to stick with the free options for right now. Life changed on a dime didn't it!

      Delete
    2. It's the first thing we've ever paid for, but my husband really wanted to see it.

      Delete
  12. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.