Translate

Monday, April 13, 2020

Quarantine Dining Out__In The Kitchen

Once again I am doing this post filled with meal possibilities for the week along with recounting what did and did not happen with the meal plan for last week. And true to my very spontaneous self what was planned and what really happened didn't coincide. I guess we will see what happens or doesn't happen this week.

What was originally planned for the past week:
1. Chopped salad, rolls or keto rolls
2. Pasta or zoodles with Alfredo sauce, broccoli, roll or keto roll
3. Leftover pork tenderloin, green beans, wilted spinach salad, rolls or keto rolls
4. Grilled halibut steaks, tossed salad, baked potato or caulimash
5. Taco salad, corn chips (or none) keto cornbread
6. Hot dog hash, coleslaw
7. Easter meal, Stuffed boneless leg of lamb, rice, asparagus (? I think I have some frozen) , salad, something lemony for dessert.

And what really happened:
Monday: As I continued on the no food waste quest I scoured the fridge to decide on the meal for the night. I knew I had the tenderloin and had deglazed the roasting pan and included the liquid when I refrigerated the leftover pork. While I was poking around I found about 3/4 cup if leftover potatoes hanging out  too. Mushrooms were  part of the grocery delivery from the week before, so our dinner almost planned itself. 
Leftover diced pork tenderloin with onions and mushrooms over leftover mashed potatoes (or over nothing) wilted spinach salad.

Tuesday: After talking with Son3 I decided to experiment with a meal made with items he had on hand, just to change up the flavors and traditional format a little.
Hot dog hash, made with potatoes (or cauliflower for a keto version), lettuce wedge

Wednesday: Last week when I was looking through the freezer I found a package of taco meat. 
Taco salad

Thursday: I was just not feeling it, so TheHub and I decided to take a quick ride and grab something.   Captain D's takeout

Friday: Friday's I have to be at Mom's both in the mornings and the afternoons to fill in the gaps with the sitters. When I got home in the early evening I decided I wanted something that would be very quick for dinner, so I pulled a small package of ground chuck from the freezer.
Sloppy Joe's over buns or ultra low carb bread,  lettuce cukes and bell pepper salad

Saturday: We decided to ride around just a little for a change of scenery. While we were riding we passed our favorite Thai joint. It is literally the definition of a joint. Its previous incarnation was as a gas station and not one of those nice convenience store type gas stations either. It was just a hole in the wall gas station with chips, candy bars, cigarettes, soft drinks and beer types of places. I am not sure how they managed to turn such a small, kind of seedy place into its current state of deliciousness. Though it does have about 8 small tables inside, it is not a place most people dine in and even before Covid the majority of their business was take out. So we opted to eat an early dinner, ordered, and  brought it home.
Blue Pacific Take Out

Sunday:  I had planned on having a boneless leg of lamb for Easter, in fact, it was bought specifically for Easter. But that was pre-corona when I thought we would be having family over to celebrate. I  then planned to just go ahead and cook it for the two of us, until I took it out of the freezer and realized how big it was. So, it went back into the freezer and I came up with a more reasonable plan for just two people.
Baked chicken thighs, dressing (It's a southern thing like cornbread stuffing but it is baked in a pan and is much better) asparagus.

What was used from the freezer
1 pack taco meat
3 hotdogs
1 small pack ground chuck
1 hamburger bun
2 slices low carb bread
1 pack chicken

From the pantry
Other than seasonings, olive oil, vinegars, mayo, mustard, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce no pantry foods were used except for 1 pack of cornbread mix

Produce used for dinners
1/2 cauliflower
1 1/2  onions
1 rib celery
1 small bell pepper
2  hearts of romaine lettuce
1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1 tomato
1/2 cucumber
3/4 bag spinach
1/2 pound asparagus

Added to the freezer: Nothing!

Next week is going to be a non-keto week. Going into the week I have 2 avocados, carrots, coleslaw mix, I head of cabbage, 1 head broccoli, 1 cucumber, 1 romaine heart,  1/2 lb. asparagus, 1/2 stalk celery , a smattering of cherry tomatoes, and some radishes,  We have a lot of foods that can be used for meals, but they are not keto compliant. Since things do not seem to be lessening, using some of them could mean at least one additional week before I have to go to the store or have groceries delivered.  I may need a little more produce, but I can most likely get by with the veggies in the freezer. If I feel the need/want for salad fixings there are a couple of produce stands who are taking phone orders and providing curbside delivery. I love the idea of not having to get out of the car to get fresh food. (Also one of the stands sells Cookie Fix cookie dough! Worth every penny!)

And what I planned for the coming week:
1. Hamburger helper, broccoli
2. Navy bean salad, garlic toast. green beans
3. Tuna patty , coleslaw, green beans
4. Grilled chicken over couscous, Brussels sprouts
5. Tiki Masala over rice, broccoli
6. Grilled mahi mahi burgers, faro/cucumber salad
7. Take out from somewhere

Hope you have a great week and don't cook up anything you can't get out of!

24 comments:

  1. I finally gave in and we did 1 takeout on Friday night as hubby was losing it (I had held firm and we hadn't had anything other than home cooked since March 12 and that was a Costco hotdog - does that really count?). Now I think we will limit it to once a month but plan so it is something tasty and local instead of chain food. Thinking maybe a donair next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I would count a Costco hotdog. We are going to do takeout weekly just as a sanity break because it requires riding to pick it up.

      Delete
  2. Yum. We are having chicken tikka masala tonight (made it in the crockpot yesterday) & it's keto friendly. We're serving it over non keto rice, although my husband will have it over cauliflower rice. I can't resist the rice he makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to be off keto for the week. I am going to eat rice, noodles and beans!

      Delete
    2. Ooh-Tika masla recipe please! I don't have a a good crock pot recipe and that sounds really good.

      Delete
  3. Good food for sure! I get you with the lamb, I cooked a ham yesterday for the 2 of us, ham sandwich for lunch today, then froze a lot for bean soup, and gave some to the kids to take home. Catfish tonight and yellow rice for Bill, veggies for me. I'm trying that no food waste also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I have tossed about 1/8 head of lettuce and some soup that got pushed back in the fridge and that is all, but I hated losing even that

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your flexibility. And ingenuity.
    I made a big, big vegie curry. Tweaked for difference it will form a lot of meals this week. Himself made what we call a 'mince mess' which can (and will) be repurposed into cottage pie, sphag bol and various other meals. We will head out for some fresh produce today. What we can find will dictate what we eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flexibility, yes, Ingenuity, not so much! I really am just trying to use what is available while having minimal waste.

      Delete
  6. I love Thai food. In fact it's really big in Geneva, although you can get most anything in Geneva. Oh just thinking of Thai take-out (not that that's possible - nor "take-out" anything here) just makes my mouth water. Still, I don't do a bad impersonation of Thai cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Thai. That and Cuban/Dominican are my favorites.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you did very well, as usual, in using up what you have on hand. The Thai take out sounds ideal! I probably won't need to cook, this week, since I have what I've already cooked AND one of my friends brought me dinner, last night and she served me enough food for several days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat food from a friend can you? TheHub does not like to eat leftovers, so I try to have different meals nightly even if it is only reforming leftovers into something "new" and different.

      Delete
  8. Your menu sounds yummy! I love the flexibility in your meal planning. I made our menu plan but Bill overrode me tonight and said he was getting Wendy's as I cooked a huge homemade meal and dessert yesterday and we returned to doing schooling today and that I looked exhausted. I am not going to argue with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never argue with anyone who wanted me to not cook and brought food home!

      Delete
  9. I may need to do take out as I am sick to death of meal planning and cooking. If we do, I'll be sure to put half a portion away as I always over eat food I don't cook. My meal plan is already out of whack and it's been one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My meal plan never goes according to plan, but at least it is a direction or suggestion. I am going to plan one takeout night every week for as long as this lasts.

      Delete
  10. Anne,
    Being flexible is important as always. I did not get all of the Easter dinner fixed, but things are ready to go and planned for all week, all starring sliced ham and vegetables we have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, did you get the pink plastic bag with coupons and ads?

      Delete
    2. I did not get any coupons this week. I have a gigantic ham in the freezer but I am waiting until we can have people around the table before I cook it.

      Delete
  11. I am struggling to cook meals every night though I did put together a pot of chili, a meatloaf, hamburger patties, a potato salad and a quinoa salad this weekend. So there's lots of food to make meals from, and my son is quite capable of making something for himself. I think I'm ready for a take-out meal! Then maybe I'll get my desire to cook back.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to cook so the cooking is not a big issue for me. I struggle with the cleaning up afterward!

      Delete
  12. a fellow has been arrested here in australia, since he kept sneaking out of the hotel quarantine he was meant to be following. Wow! how life has changed! keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.