Translate

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Quarantine Cooking Dessert Using Leftovers

The other night I made some fettuccine Alfredo and had a bunch of fettuccine left over. I also had about a third of an 8 ounce block of cream cheese and some almost questionable sour cream in the fridge. It only made sense to use them for something and what would be better than an almost kugel.
I had no cottage cheese so it was not going to be a true one, but who cared?

A kugel is a Jewish noodle dish that is traditionally served on the Sabbath or on the holidays. A real one has egg noodles, cottage cheese, sugar, sour cream, eggs and milk and often has raisins or grated apples. Mine was no where near traditional, especially since I was using cream cheese instead of the cottage variety, but all I was trying to do was create a dessert using stuff I had on hand  that needed to be used.



1 1/2- 2 cups noodles (I did not measure but it was close to this amount)



1/3 cup cream cheese (softened, in my world it means nuke it for about 15 seconds)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup whole milk  or half and half ( I used heavy cream cut with water because I had no milk 3/4 cream to 1/4 water)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 pinches cardamom

First  grease a small baking pan. 6x6 is
I grabbed my kitchen shears and cut the fettuccine into lengths approximately the length of egg noodles and placed them in the bottom of the pan. Next prepare the custard.
Mix the softened cream cheese with the sour cream add the sugar and blend well. Stir in the eggs and mix together then add the milk or cream the extract and the spices. Whisk  until it is smooth, pour over the noodles and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.

Unlike a traditional kugel, I dd not have enough noodles for the custard to barely cover, so I had no tell-tale noodles on the surface of the dessert. I just had a smooth custard layer. It was fine with us, but might offend someone who makes this regularly. My aim was to create a delicious interpretation   rather than authentic dish.

And boy, was this ever good. I should have let it sit so it would firm up a little and I could have cut it into nice neat squares, but we ate it as soon as it came out of the oven and enjoyed every bit of its piping hot deliciousness.  Squares? No way! I spooned it into bowls so we really had blobs of deliciousness, but it was great. So good that TheHub had 2 1/2 bowls of it.

I am putting this in our dessert rotation, which is about to come almost to an end because next week I start back on the keto lifestyle. I seem to be an all or nothing type of gal and I will either eat sweets daily or have none at all. My jeans say I need to go back to being a no sugar or grains at all gal.

Anyway, if you want a cheap, tasty, easy dessert this might be for you. (Especially if you cook too much pasta)

26 comments:

  1. I have never had a kugel, but your version looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good. Sadly my trousers are shrieking that moderation is esssential. So later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moderation is not my friend. I am an all or nothing type guy so after Sunday Keto becomes my best friend again.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever eaten kugel! It sounds interesting! But, I don't have any cream cheese or cottage cheese or sour cream! LOL. However, I do have the makings of a baked custard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really just using leftovers and what I had on hand. I imagine any custard recipe would work

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is good! This was nowhere near a traditional one and it was still very good.

      Delete
  5. I've only had kugel once-and it was so tasty. For me, you add sugar, cream, and cheese to anything and I'll probably gobble it up. I love those flavors together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I have the urge to make rice pudding....have 40 lbs of rice (bought in January, my usual 1.5 - 2 year supply) so theres that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had 40 pounds of rice, I would make rice pudding too!

      Delete
  7. I had never heard of kugel, nor indeed any dessert using pasta. I am SO going to try this. Thanks Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good, though I did not follow a true recipe. It still worked so I was fine with it.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yeah, I have been enjoying them the last two weeks. It is time to hop back on the keto train.

      Delete
  9. kinda like a hot cheesecake, then?
    I'd like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have enough cream cheese to make it taste quite like that, so I guess it was like a hot soft almost cheesecake tasting dish. It was really tasty and I will definitely do it again.

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness! You're a miracle worker! that sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anne. Ivy here and I gotta tell you, I love what you did here. I love it bc it's fun and that's the thing that I enjoy about creating dishes. Inspired post. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am being so specific about using every little bit of food that it is getting kind of comical. Who knows what we will eat on any give day, or how I manage to "pad" our dishes. I have always liked playing with food so this current situation is right up my alley.

      Delete
    2. Me too, Anne. I'm enjoying things. No complaints about food on my side.

      Delete
  12. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.