Translate

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Snicker Doodle Cake

We are under a shelter in place order now, as are a lot of you. That means staying at home except for the necessities, which also means making our available food stretch as far between grocery visits as possible. It really does no good to shelter in place if we are running to the store every day or two, so we all need to be conserving our at home food resources, and aiming for as close to zero food waste as possible.
I do have a very well stocked pantry and can go for quite a while without having to go to the store, but I also want to use many of my items sparingly. Take eggs for instance! I maintain a keto diet 6 days a week, including one day of fasting. When I make my keto dinner rolls recipe, (I freeze them and use them one at a time if needed to round a meal out) it takes 5 eggs. Yikes! That is a lot of eggs for one recipe, but I will make them every two or three weeks because it makes it easier for me to maintain the keto way of eating. Using that many in one recipe; however, does lead me to try and conserve them wherever I can.
On Sundays I take a day off Keto and always want something desserty that day. For this week I was thinking of making a cake, but that would require a couple or three eggs, plus milk and butter. I was just not willing to dive into my egg stash for a snack cake. And though I love chocolate, I was in the mood for something a little different. Whoo hoo!

Snicker Doodle Wacky Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter (you can leave this out without affecting the quality of the cake)
1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons oil (olive oil has too heavy of a flavor for this)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (can substitute white vinegar or red wine vinegar)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup water

Cinnamon sugar for topping
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray. Put all the dry ingredients in the pan and mix them  to combine. It is easiest to combine them with a fork. Make 3 wells in the dry mix and pour the oil in one, the vanilla in the 2nd and the vinegar in the third, then pour the water over everything and stir together until well blended (Use the same fork)

Pop it into the oven and bake for for about 35 minutes.  When you take it out sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top of the hot cake.  Eat it warm as is, or let it cool and enjoy it with a dab of whipped cream, ice cream, caramel sauce, or Cool Whip. You can actually have it any way you like, with anything you have on hand. The best thing about this cake is that it is perfectly tasty all by itself and uses minimal ingredients for a tasty dessert. If you are hungry for something sweet and want to conserve ingredients give this a try.

I found a carton of Cool Whip TheHub had bought to put on top of berries. A dollop of it made a very nice topping for the cake. This is for him, but tomorrow I am having a piece!

18 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds good.
    Just at the moment flour AND eggs are in short supply so I will hold off.
    I promised you this update some time ago.
    My blog friend's book about strategies which may help in caring for people with dementia is out. It is called Dancing with Dementia and you can find a post about it and links about where to buy it HERE..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on your post yesterday but just did not reply. Yesterday was a doozie

      Delete
    2. I am sorry to hear that. I remember those days well.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, thank you for this recipe! Good to have an eggless cake recipe (I read one that used mayo, instead of eggs and oil, but, I don't have mayo and I don't want to substitute Miracle Whip, as I need that for my egg salads and tuna salads!). I don't have cream of tartar, but, I can substitute lemon juice or extra white vinegar (don't have apple cider vinegar). Although, what I keep craving are savory snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tremendous sweet tooth so I am looking for easy simple ingredient things to make for Sundays during this isolated period.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I have all the ingredients! No icecream ir whipped cream, but maybe will add to my fresh food run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since today is my non keto day, I had a piece with coffee for breakfast. It was delicious with nothing else on it

      Delete
  4. We finally found some flour to buy, so this may get a try. Sounds easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy and very good. You really don't need to top it with anything else either!

      Delete
  5. Your cake looks great! I love recipes that most people have the ingredients already. And instead of cream we have icecream! I made a cherry cobbler the other day but it is long gone between 3 adults/2 households. I bought 20 lbs of flour back in January (usual purchase, not hoarding) and am so glad I did. The only thing I don't have a lot of is white sugar but have brown and icing as backups. I've used icing sugar before as a substitute, just use less as it is so bloody sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to do a series of quarantine recipes for things most people will have access to that won't dig too deeply into available resources.
      You are right abut substituting icing sugar and reducing the amounts a bit. You could probably use all brown or even some molasses and it would just be a denser cake.

      Delete
  6. Ho, baby! I am going to have to give this a go! I love to play in my kitchen, and this seems like exactly the sort of thing DH would love. I don't have vegetable oil though--I banished from my house years ago. I do have coconut oil, olive oil, and pounds and pounds of Kerrygold butter. Staples...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep no veggie oils either. I used expeller pressed grapeseed oil and it worked well. I think I would try coconut oil or melted butter.

      Delete
  7. I'd like to make this cake but do you think it would work without the cinnamon as I'm not a great fan of it. Or would it be too bland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work with lemon extract, or cardamom or just about any other flavor. Almond extract instead of vanilla? I think you could do any number of flavors including chocolate

      Delete
  8. I have a snicker doodle cake recipe from The Cake Doctor. It's very different from yours, but also delicious. I understand the love of sweets.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about people who are not overly stocked with food and how hard this is going to be, so I am going to do a series of easy and limited ingredient foods. Naturally I started with what I love most__sweet stuff!

      Delete
  9. Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.