Translate

Monday, September 7, 2020

What's For Dinner?

I have been trying to make a meal plan every week and, to be honest,  I am unsuccessful cooking by plan nearly every week.  I try,  I fail, and we eat anyway.

And yes, I know this song is not technically about food, but just look at Saturday and you will see why it leapt into my brain!


This is what was planned for the week:
1. Crack slaw
2. Chicken Florentine over rice or caulirice, tossed salad
3. Peas, okra, cornbread, coleslaw
4. Hamburgers and fixings, tomato onion and cucumber salad
5. Grilled lamb chops, caulimash or regular mashed potatoes, broccoli
6. Seared scallops, tossed salad, baked potato (or none) rolls or keto rolls
7. Take out

And this is what really happened
Monday: We had enough okra from the garden to had a serving of air fryer okra each. I also a half bag of peas frozen.
Lady peas, okra, sliced tomatoes, sliced cakes

Tuesday: One thing you can take to the bank__I do take out very well!
Take out from Blue Pacific (because we love Thai)

Wednesday: I had a kind of lazy day and did a lot of piddling around. Since I had done little I pretty much was required by some moral code to keep from being a total sloth, to get my tail in the kitchen and cook, I fully intended to make chicken Florentine, but I had no spinach so I had to do a quick punt.
Chicken and broccoli over rice

Thursday: I had absolutely no intention of making this meal but a huge bag of okra was placed on TheHub's desk Wednesday afternoon by one of his co-workers.  I truly do appreciate her generosity and am trying to make every bit of food count. So I made some for dinner and froze a big pack of it. This winter it will be a very appreciated addition to a dinner.
Okra, corn on the cob, tomato slices

Friday:  We decided to go to the lake for part of the Labor Day weekend. I have said before when we go late on Friday I like to take something that only needs a quick reheating. A one pot dish is a bonus.
Crack slaw

Saturday: On his way home from work on Friday TheHub stopped at a grocery store near his office and picked up 2 slabs of ribs they cook nearly every spring and summer holiday. Saturday morning we woke early and drove to Clanton, about 20 minutes from the lake place. We were looking for a screened door for the porch. Struck out on that! But we did come home with mums, 3 shirts for me, house slippers for TheHub and 2 fried pies from Peach Park (Clanton's tourist trap for everything peach, plus local produce, ice cream, cobblers, and of course fried pies. We got one apple and one peach. Yum!)
BBQ ribs, tossed salad, baked beans, and fried pie ala mode

Sunday: I knew we would be getting back from the lake sometime Sunday and like we normally do, we were later than we had planned. Fortunately Friday while I was making crack slaw, I whipped up something for Sunday night. After I warmed it up for our dinner I realized I had enough to freeze for another meal. I love it when that happens!
Sloppy Joe's, pickles

So I did not hit the 50 percent mark! Life goes on and we were fed. Now on to a new plan for a new week, which there is a snowball in Hell's chance I will actually cook I may or may not follow.

1. Grilled scallops, tossed salad, potatoes of some kind
2. Bbq ribs, caulitato salad, green beans(/)
3. Grilled lamb chops, mashed potatoes, tossed salad
4. Tomato pie, wedge salad
5. Grilled burgers with fixings
6. Take out
7. Take out

Have a great week on plan, off plan, or with no plan at all!

21 comments:

  1. Well, you get fed anyway so, why plan? I am sure your pantry, fridge and freezer hold enough staples to whip up something easy and tasty. May be "tha plan" is not necessary? Just a thought. Yesterday, I cooked up a bunch of stuff and froze most of it. That helps a lot for, when I do not want to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally make a plan based on what I have either in the kitchen or freezer. I like having an idea even if I do go off the rails.

      Delete
  2. You hit a few! Hey, as long as nothing goes to waste because of you plan it really doesn't matter, It's nice to have a guideline in place even if you don't always stick with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it really is just a list of possibilities. I have a sneaking suspicion okra is going to happened this week because our okra plants have decided to really start producing now.

      Delete
  3. It is noon on a holiday, and nothing is thawed or put out to thaw in the freezer. Who plans? I should! I can thaw chicken in the water in the sink. I think we will have chicken, slaw, tomatoes, and zucchini. When I go to the market in Cullman on Saturday, I always get a fried pie. Last time, there was so little filling. But, the two bites of filling was really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pies at Peach Park are outstanding. We get them a couple of times a year.

      Delete
  4. I haven’t been able to stick to a meal plan, so don’t plan meals anymore. Your meals always sound delicious whether it’s planned or not. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan then change my mind, or the universe changes my mind for me. Some of our meals are good and some are just fodder, but we eat (too much) everyday.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for another week where everyone was bountifully fed. With or without a plan.
    I have been 'planning' a stirfry for days. Perhaps tonight. Or perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand maybe so, maybe not . Life is short and opportunities or desires change, almost mid-sentence!

      Delete
  6. Very nice of the coworker to put a bag of okra on his desk. The crack slaw sounds really good! I made Teriyaki Chicken for dinner today. I did have a nap right before that though, so I know what you mean about feeling like a sloth. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not normally a nap person and I did not just nap, I conked out complete with dreams.
      We do appreciate the okra, but we love it so it is always a welcome addition to our meals.

      Delete
  7. Everything, especially the fried pies, sounds delicious, whether planned or not! The important thing is you ate! The song made me feel hungry! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started this post that is the song that popped into my little pea brain so I ran with it!

      Delete
  8. It all sounds delicious, except maybe the okra. Not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. I got some on my produce delivery an tried to air fry it- ugh. Garbage disposal. I have a lot of veggies so going to see that I can do with them for tonight. I haven't made a weekly menu yet but someone needs to lose 10 pounds soon or their capris won't fit. I'm going to do my best to purge unhealthy foods out of the fridge freezer and pantry today. I hate to waste food but this is necessary.

      Delete
    2. I love okra, but I can't imagine eating it stir fried. Speaking of losing 10 pounds. I am beginning to feel and look like those covid memes.. It seems all I have done since March is cook and eat.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It is basically ground chuck that is cooked in a pan with garlic and ginger then had a ton of shredded cabbage, and whatever other shredded veggies you want (I use carrots, bell peppers, and onions always then shred whatever lonely veggie is in the crisper and add it too) Stir the slaw mix and cook until it is crisp tender, then stir in soy sauce or coconut aminos and sriracha to taste. Sometimes I add a splash of fish sauce , but sometimes I don't. We usually sprinkle some dried hot peppers over the top when we eat it, but we like hot stuff. It is a simple meal that is loaded with veggies and very filling.

      Delete
  10. I'm with R's Rue, I had never heard of crack slaw either so I've just looked it up. And wadda ya know, I have everything on hand - so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about as simple as anything you can ever make, tasty and quick.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.