Translate

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Tuesday 4 September

I am bored with covid and I am bored of staying in. I am still not going to go out and about other than an occasional run to the grocery store so I am looking for things (other than things like housework or yard work) to keep me connected with others while mostly self isolating. I found Tuesday 4 while I was visiting  Martha's blog, Seaside Simplicity. I decided I needed to play along and they very graciously are letting me.


                                                           But first a song, of course!

1.What memories does September bring back to you of school, autumn, songs, movies? Would you share with us?
September is the month I was born, so my earliest memories would have been birthday things. Then it became the start to each year for school. September meant a new binder, pencils, crayons and shoes. Clothes? As needed only, and since Mom made everything we wore there was no back to school shopping for us. Obviously the song I posted here was the first one I thought of. I was dating a really nice guy during my freshman year at college. In May I left and went home to a different city from where he lived. I would hum/ sing (mostly hummed because I really did not know the words)  this song over and over for a week or so after I left, until he called and said he would like to come for a visit. 
Though he is not a household name, some of you might recognize his nickname. I call him TheHub. 


2. September is the first of what are called the "ber" months. and the end of summer and beginning of autumn. Which do you enjoy more, summer or autumn and why?
When  I was a kid I enjoyed summer more and even when my sons were young I loved summer because they were free of the routines that bound us to home. 
Later fall became my favorite season. The weather is cooler but never cold here, there is much less humidity plus it is football season. Roll Tide, Roll!

3.Have you ever gone apple or pumpkin picking or gone into a corn maze? What was that like? 
There are a couple of pumpkin patches around here where I could go but why? I can buy a pumpkins within a mile of my house. I live in Alabama and even though there are some (very few) apple orchards, the apples that grow well here are not spectacular, so no I never have gone.  Ditto with a no on a corn maze.

4.Are fall weekends different for you than summer weekends? What do you enjoy in autumn?
Fall weekends mean college football games. In a normal fall TheHub and Son2 go to all the home games and I stay home and watch them on TV. This year they are doing things a little differently. The powers that be decided to only fill 20 % of the stadium seats. We had to option to purchase some (still unsure how they are deciding who gets tickets and who doesn't) but if you opted to not purchase them it would not affect your season tickets in the 2021 season and you would retain your same seats.  After several phone calls back and forth TheHub and Son2 decided they had rather wait until next year. Now if about 80 thousand other people will decide to forego their tickets the stadium will be good to go.
I also love Honeycrisp apples, chai, soup and some fall art festivals, which I am pretty sure will not be taking place this year.

26 comments:

  1. 1) My birthday is in September. I loved September because I went back to school that month. My youngest was born in September, too. Funny and tragic, I met my husband in September.Mama made all our clothes, too. But, the school supplies were like magic--crayons that smelled so good, paper, pencils...nothing else that I can remember.

    1) I love summer more. I was the only mother I knew that loved having kids home for three months. We had fun all summer long.

    3)There was a man who had apples in his yard and I went with a woman whose children i cared for. I hated it because the woman insisted I stay in the cold wind with my fever rising. So, it was not a good experience.

    4) I love summer better. Festivals would be my favorite thing to do and there were none since March, so I know they are being canceled for Fall, too. I am missing these. Football means more to Tommy than to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that song. So very lovely. I think summer was a favorite for me when I was in school.. but after I was out of school autumn became my favorite.
    I enjoyed reading your answers and learning some things about you.
    Thanks so much for joining in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday month! Great song, too! The school year started in January when I was going to school; I only knew about the academic year starting in September when I came here! I definitely prefer summer to autumn and I went apple picking, once, when I was in Wisconsin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go apple picking here at my house, but the blooming squirrels have other ideas about what should happen with the apples.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday month.
    September is Spring here, and I would have to be very, very jaded not to love her season. Summer is a different matter. Very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am old enough that Birthdays are appreciated because it beats the alternative, but I am past the celebration stage!
      Spring is beautiful!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday month. Happy September! Lovely Post!
    Allurerage
    Thetrendybride

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a heartwarming post! Just what I needed today. Fall is my favorite season too. I especially love it in New England with the foliage and the decorations and apple cider and pumpkin pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is great. Ours just comes a little later than most of the states, but the upside is our winters feel more like other's falls.

      Delete
  7. I'm a ber child with a November birthday as is my daughter in October and son in December. September makes me thin of new beginnings with the start of the school year, and getting a new pen and note pad even now is a highlight. Picking apples and pumpkins is a traditional with my family-love that about fll, but I do love the long days of summer. thanks for sharing this. I sure hope thing improve this winter. I want my daughter to be able to stay at school through to Thanksgiving, and when they go back in January, enjoy a more traditional college environment. I too am bored of staying home. My bike is my little salvation right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping things get back to some sort of normal, even though I think the norm has probably shifted a bit forever.

      Delete
  8. So glad you decided to play along with us!! I loved reading your answers and Happy Birthday month to you. Mine is today, will be having a little family time with social distancing which stinks but better than nothing at all. We are big football fans here too, both college and pro. Have a happy birthday month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Happy Birthday today then Martha. Enjoy the day even if you are socially distanced from your family!

      Delete
  9. Totally bored with covid, but it doesn't care. Alas. Going to be here awhile. Alas (again). Anyway, I do love fall -- my favorite season of the year. Cooler weather, and I like to make soups and stews and chili -- our typical fall diet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soups and stews but we only have them during cooler weather too. Since it is still in the 90's here, I have a bit of a wait until fall, but there are usually a couple of days in September when it cools enough to make us believe fall has arrived.

      Delete
  10. I will play...
    1) Happy: I used to love school. Fall was my New Year. I loved riding the wave of enthusiasm during fall semesters in college. Sadly, in Sept. of my freshman year, my beloved older sister died. September devastated me. Years later my first-born was born on the same day. (He is now with her.) I feel so close to them in September. The smell of late summer air makes me so hopeful.
    2) I like summer, because my kids are home, and I love the heat. But, Autumn is my favorite. I like the sights, the smells,the sound of the leaves, and the cozy evenings. I feel like Autumn makes.us happy to return home. Of course,I fell in love with the myth of Demeter and Persephone when my mother read it to me in kindergarten,so this feeling is nothing new.
    3) I have picked apples...at an orchard when we lived in New England, and on my own property here. We make an annual jaunt to a pumpkin patch, where the kids have to get the biggest pumpkin they can find, which it seems, always has to be clear at the end of the field. My eldest is meticulous about his choices. I LOATHE corn mazes4) Autumn weekends find us home more...dh will watch football, while the rest of us do other things. (I despise pro sports, and am not so fond of the monetization of college football either)..I usually stamp cards in the office where he is watching his stupid games, so we can spend time together. Kids would (and still do) file in and out until dinner. Sundays are usually a roast for dinner, then candles, a fire, and I might bake for the week. What do I love about Autumn? It is glorious season. But, it's also a short season . You see, the glory comes from the color, which comes from the lack of light, which means that tree's foliage is dying, only to return anew in spring. The idea makes me contemplative--always has, which was a good place for me to be at the start of a semester back in the day! Now, I just appreciate that we are able to be in a spot where we can admire the circle of life. I may not be a great parent..very lax...but my kids do, and always have gotten along well together. When the days are cooler, shorter and darker, and the remps. drive us inside in Autumn, we really ape the work they put into their relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *appreciate* the work they put into their relationships. Not ape...although, they do their fair share of aping one another...and us.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry September is a difficult month for you, but certainly understand why.
      Fall is gorgeous and, when it finally gets here, is such a relief from the oppressive summer heat and humidity.

      Delete
  11. I'm a September baby too and yep September always meant back to school and new pencils and notebooks - something I always loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention, being an end-September baby I always used to joke that I guess we all knew what our parents were up to on New Year's Eve don't we!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha about NYE! Kind like the late December babies and Lent!

      Delete
  12. What a nice post. I like your met the hubs story. I met mine junior year of college during Christmas break. We married as soon as I graduated- how about you? Both my daughters met their spouses in college too-one married at 24 and the other 27. I have always liked September too! Happy birthday- it was my late husband's birthday month also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday greeting. I am old and past the point of big celebrations, though TheHub and I decided we would go to the beach the weekend of my birthday. It will not be a real birthday celebration but will be a "get out of town when the beach is almost empty" type trip.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.