Translate

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Hoedown!



During my teen years if I was at home alone (or just at home with my sister ) and feeling blue there were a few songs that would immediately put a little bounce in my step. Dad's only real material pride and joy was his stereo system. He bought components way before it was the  cool thing to do, and had our house wired with speakers so you could hear music from every room in the house. He was not picky about letting us play our music on it, but he did have one silly rule. We could not raise the volume above 5, which was loud enough unless you were a teenager. We followed his rules for using it to a tee__until he and Mom went out. Then all bets were off and we would crank it up to 10 (the loudest it would go), sing and dance all over the house. You just had to be clever and  remember to turn it back down to 5 before they got home.

I had some struggles this week and I found myself playing music from my teen years to prop myself up. This is one of those songs that always made me happy. I am finding myself seriously in need of some socialization. I miss seeing my friends and I really miss going places and doing things. I am really struggling with all of this isolation.


Wednesday: Sally was not as destructive as she could have been All our family and friends who live on or near the coast were safe, with minimum damage, and that is a tru joy considering how horrible things could have been

Thursday: I found some important documents of Mom's that had been misplaced. There is an air of chaos in her house still. Even as we get it emptied it seems the less we have in it the more often things we need disappear.

Friday: My beloved sister and I worked at Mom's for a bit and had some really good conversations, and my cousin's son found a few more things he needed to help furnish his new kitchen. 

Saturday: I worked on some business of Mom's and completed it. Yay! TheHub had to go into the office for most of the day so he was working also. When he got home and I had finished what I was working on, we made a quick meal and socked in to watch a couple of episodes of The Americans.

Sunday: We began the morning by streaming church, followed by a WebEx Sunday school class. It is not the same, but it is so wonderful to see faces (even on a screen)  and to have a little virtual socialization. As soon as we were through we hopped in the car and drove to the lake.  The day was gorgeous and the ride down was just beautiful.

Monday:  We have an armadillo burrow and our lawn is slowly being torn apart, which is not joyful at all. The upside is Critter Gitters came out and set traps to capture said creature, then humanely release him/her elsewhere. I hope it is not a her because that means the potential that many smaller armadillos are burrowed also.

Tuesday: I was at Mom's house for a good part of the day, came home and did a few things around the house before getting dinner ready. I happened to look outside and saw one of the traps had been triggered. Yes, we had caught a critter.  When TheHub investigated (no I do not do animals in traps) instead of a possum on the half shell we heard a meow. We had trapped GrayGreg, our neighbors cat. Fortunately he was not trapped long and is completely fine, but we felt horrible about him being contained, even briefly.

So that end the joy list for a less than joyful week, but's I have said before there is joy every day, even if 
it is just joy that you did not harm the neighbors cat when you accidentally trapped it. Though now I wonder if we have freaked him out and he will no longer be our chipmunk controller. Time will tell and maybe he has a short memory.

Go have a wonderful week and look for those hidden joys. They are always there, hiding somewhere!

21 comments:

  1. My partner used to turn up the stereo inside so that he could hear it outside - while mowing the lawn.
    The walls and the windows used to shake. Aaargh.
    Hooray for joys, big, small and all points in between.
    And a big hooray on getting yet another piece of business completed - not just ticked off but crossed off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((HUGS))) Anne. Can you meet some of your friends for a socially distanced get together outside, in a garden or park or some place like that?

    I'm sure GrayGreg will be fine. He might avoid your garden for a day or two, but, he'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you are feeling so isolated. I agree with Bless, try to meet up and social distance outdoors somewhere. I was really down around July but bounced back after a couple weeks. Nothing has changed, I guess I've just surrendered to the fact that this is just how it's going to be for awhile. I'm so glad you are still finding Joy in each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I have to look hard for joy. I think it has been a combo punch of dealing with Mom's affairs and feeling isolated that has gotten me to this state. I know it will pass.

      Delete
  4. I read recently that any stressful situation, no matter how well you've been coping, has a rough spot around the 6th month. It apparently takes a couple of weeks to get back one's equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right! At this point I am lethargic and underwhelmed with everything. I know things will not be completely returning to normal for a while but am hopeful for a bit of normalcy.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if you are also succumbing to a new, if temporary Empty Nest syndrome on top of the social isolation. I'm sure it was a joy to have your son and daughter-in-law visit and stay for a few weeks, and now they are gone, you are back to your quietness again. I am sure I would feel that way-so I guess I am projecting my feelings to you. Sorry! I also read the 6 month stress gauge, and this is the 6th month of the official US widespread impact. I don't kow i that measn month 7 is supposed to be better. I sure hope they are not right aobu tthis only being the first 1/3 of the health crisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly , but I don't think it is that.
      I am just bored of living without our normal activities and outlets. I need live music and I need plays. And I miss going out to eat. Even though it is possible now, we (I mainly) still are not doing that either.

      Delete
  6. I am quite sure the lure of chipmunk will be overcome by GrayGreg. I loved that Miss Kitty like to hunt chipmunk in my yard. When a trap was set for feral cats, I warned neighbors about the chance of catching their cats. In thirty years, I only caught two cats, and they had not been in the trap for very long, thankfully. You can be sure GrayGreg will never go into a trap again. All it took was one foray into my trap to keep a cat away from it forever.

    I had a two-day sadness when I could not meet friends for a lunch at the park. But, I keep remembering why we do this distancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I know the chipmunks will call to him. I just want to catch this blasted armadillo and get the traps out of the yard.

      Delete
  7. Cats have pretty short memories especially when there is the lure of food or toys. I'm guessing GrayGreg likes to chase the chipmunks but has little luck catching them.

    Sorry to hear you're feeling quite isolated. I hope you're able to find ways to get to visit family and friends safely. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is actually an excellent hunter. Before he moved in we were overrun with chipmunks. When he first moved in we saw hime with his "catch" 6 days in a row. His human parents had a present every evening.

      Delete
  8. I'm up even earlier that usual- reading blogs and procrastinating. Yesterday I was doing yardwork and got stung 3 times by wasps- it hurt a bit but now my hand and foot are itching like crazy; hence the early AM! I have something really awesome to look forward to- my daughter and family moved to Atlanta in early August and I'm driving to see them soon yay. Soninlaw has been working remotely from home- tiny San Francisco apartment- and he decided he could change venues so sight unseen they bought a house and moved! I'm a little concerned about using public restrooms but I have to get out sometime and I'm going with my sis. I have only left my home maybe a dozen times since March 12th and it's been last Thanksgiving since I saw the daughter and grandkids. GD is 6 and homeschooled this year; GS just turned 2. Maybe you could plan a trip somewhere? It gives you something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting for you! I am not sure where you live, but for me__I can be in Atlanta in a couple of hours. I would love it if one of my sons and family moved there!
      We have to get a lot settled with Mom's house before we can do any trips other than run to the lake for the weekend.

      Delete
  9. For whatever reason, the name of the neighbor's cat (Gray Greg) made me chuckle. Glad to hear Greg is okay.

    I need more gratefulness in my life. It's something I work on every day, but forget during challenging moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you see him it is obvious why they call him that, but when I first heard it, it made me laugh too.

      Delete
  10. Gosh I hadn't realized you were still clearing out your mom's place. It's never-ending isn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.