Translate

Monday, August 31, 2020

Food That Didn't Happen


 (I know this song has nothing to do with meals or plans or anything else but it was the first song that popped into my pea brain when I began writing this post and was thinking about how I had changed the entire week's meals. Unfortunately for y'all, you are bound to my initial musical thought. Plus I do love this song!)


Once again I made a meal plan and did not stick to it at all, except for the take out thing. I seem to do take out very well. Too well! No idea why I plan and don't follow it. Maybe I am just too wishy washy, busy, or "frankly my dear I just don't give a . . . "

This is what I thought might happen:
1. Crack slaw
2. Chicken Florentine over rice or caulirice, tossed salad
3. Squash croquettes, green beans, sliced tomatoes
4. Hamburger patty, green beans, tomato onion and cucumber salad
5. Grilled lamb chops, caulimash or regular mashed potatoes, broccoli
6. Seared scallops, tossed salad, baked potato (or none) rolls or keto rolls
7. Take out

This is what actually happened: (You will notice except for take out, none of this happened)

Monday: I had cooked some squash and honestly meant to make squash croquettes but when it got time to cook dinner I was not in the mood for that many steps.
Squash casserole, leftover lady peas, dinner roll

Tuesday: I didn't cook, just because. If TheHub wanted to eat, he could have made grilled cheese or we could run pick something up.
Take out from La Fiesta tacos, taquitos, rice, beans and salad

Wednesday: We went to the lake to spend the night so I could meet the security system installer to upgrade the system. I needed a portable dinner  and did not really care if it was really good or not.
Stewed okra, Junky balls, coleslaw

Thursday: When we go to the lake I always grab something frozen to act as ice in my insulated bag. This time I grabbed a pack of cooked chicken, threw in some wild rice and packed some green beans I had cooked earlier.
Chicken and wild rice, green beans, tossed salad

Friday: I had not packed anything that sounded good to TheHub for Friday night. Instead of me grabbing something from town was his idea.
Take out from Granny's Kitchen in Columbiana, Al. (town nearest the lake place) Catfish, okra and green beans (me) Sausage and kraut, mashed potatoes and butterbeans (TheHub)

Saturday: We decided to leave the lake a little earlier than we had planned. It was raining cats and dogs there so why stay?  Additionally we had a few errands we could do between showers. Before we left we made a list of things we needed to restock the lake kitchen, so a shopping trip was in order. Plus there were a couple of other things we wanted to do in the near future so the near future turned into the present. We first went to a local produce market, then drove to Aldi for lake stuff. After that we tried to find a hot tub dealer (Though we had an address we never found it and decided they are selling out of a storage unit. That is just a little too sketchy for me.) Next we drove around a bit looking for a couple of other things, went to Publix, then decided hot dogs sounded pretty good for dinner. Well, TheHub did and as long as I wasn't cooking anything sounded fine to me.
Sneaky Pete's slaw dogs (me) regular dogs (TheHub)

Sunday: We were on the verge of doing take out for the fourth night of the week when the phone rang. I was having a long conversation with my cousin and started looking in the freezer to see if I could find something to make quickly. I found 3 small pizza crusts and threw a pizza together while I talked with her. If the pizza had not finished baking I might still be on the phone.
Veggie Pizza

Since I did not stick to my plan for last week and I still have most of the foods that were to be used then, I am modifying it just a tad and keeping basically the same meal plan.
1. Crack slaw
2. Chicken Florentine over rice or caulirice, tossed salad
3. Peas, okra, cornbread, coleslaw
4. Hamburgers and fixings, tomato onion and cucumber salad
5. Grilled lamb chops, caulimash or regular mashed potatoes, broccoli
6. Seared scallops, tossed salad, baked potato (or none) rolls or keto rolls
7. Take out


Will it happen? Probably not entirely, but some of it might!
Hope you all have a good week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

12 comments:

  1. Well it was a good plan anyway and now you still have everything on hand to possibly make it this week. I do pretty well sticking to my plan unless something unexpected comes up or I have more leftover than I thought I would. I'm sure not going to waste food just to stay on plan! Have a delicious week no matter what you make or don't :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not go hungry__quite the opposite! I was feeling more ambitious than I wanted to be last week. I guess I will see what happens this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I agree with you--as long as I do not have to cook, anything sounds just right. I am procrastinating about dinner tonight because nothing is thawed or produce cleaned. The storage unit does seem sketchy. Lots of businesses do use them for storage, but I would back off from buying a hot tub from a storage place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am not inclined to do business out of a storage unit.

      Delete
  4. One good thing about going off the plan one week is you don't have to come up with a new plan for the next week! Good luck with staying on plan this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No joke! Plus everything I need for the meals is right here./

      Delete
  5. I'm sure I've said this before, but at least you have somewhat of a plan. There are days when it's near dinner time and I haven't thought of anything. That's usually a breakfast for dinner night, eggs and bacon with toast. Luckily my son enjoys that type of meal as much as I do.

    Yeah, I probably would be a little suspicious of a hot tub dealer selling out of a storage unit.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with a plan this past week I looked in the fridge and waited for something magical to happen__It never did!

      Delete
  6. Good luck.
    I do like your flexibility.
    And how I wish that the other household resident here would agree to take-out. Which we call take away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we can get just about any type of take out in a very short radius, and all but the extremely fine dining establishments are still doing take away/out. I guess some weeks instead of cooking we are just putting money back in the economy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

      Delete
  7. None of the takeout is close enough to still be warm when we get home, so it loses a bunch of appeal. Not that we haven't take advantage, but it's more rare than I expected right now.

    We have been keeping more "easy prep" meals on hand, mostly due to the kitchen remodel, but also because it's a good diversion when I don't feel like cooking but takeout isn't a good fit. I'm also pushing my husband to grill more. Our grill wasn't available due to outside construction for most of the summer, so he's fallen behind his normal cooking cadence. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the grill is usable, it is time for him to step up to the plate!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.