Translate

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Joys for Week 44

As any of you who read this regularly know, I keep a list of my daily joys. The plan is to curl up on New Year's Eve with a cup of coffee or a nice adult beverage and re-read all the joys, large and small that happen every single day. 

Once again I feel compelled to tell you why I chose this song. This week while we were feeling the effects of Zeta, I would walk around the house singing. "No Phone, No Shows, Not Yet __I Ain't Got No Internet" 
So naturally when I started writing this post that was the only song that came into my knuckle head.


I found exactly how much I have come to rely on the conveniences that are part of my daily life. Although I had power and could do pretty much what I wanted to do, I would take my shower then ask "Alexa! What is the temperature?" Crickets!  Or "Alexa! Play Motown on the main group" Dead silence. And blogs! And my recipes that are so neatly stored in my bookmarks, were not accessible. Even though I did not really need them, just knowing I couldn't get to them bugged me.I could read your blogs through my phone, but I am not a clever enough texter to do much commenting. I tried with a couple before realizing my fumbling fingers are no match for the tiny keypad, unless I did my usual text responses, OK or thanks.

Now on to the joys for the week:

 Wednesday: I met with my painter to talk with him about doing some work at Mom's as we get closer and closer to putting it on the market. He is a very reasonably priced man whose crew does a very nice and careful job. There is a true joy finding a really nice man who cares about his crew, his clients, and his work.

Thursday: Zeta hit us from about 1 am until 4. I stayed awake the whole time watching the treetops spin, lightning flash and thunder boom. The lights flickered a bit and then everything except about 4 houses near me were in total darkness. My joy for the day was electricity, because I had it while everyone around me had none. We lost our tv, internet and phone services but I had lights and my refrigerator and freezer stayed cold.
Later in the day I met my sister at Mom's and we got two of her bathrooms deep cleaned (I am talking about the scrub brush in the grout clean) Not particularly joyful doing it, but extremely joyful to have it done.

Friday: Took care of some of Mom's lingering business, then had a long FaceTime visit with my favorite girl. She was very excited and wanted to share her Halloween plans and to talk about dragons.
Later TheHub and I watched a previously unopened DVD. Thank you, Denzil Washington, for providing us with a little entertainment. We enjoyed watching Man on Fire.

Saturday: Our services were still out, it was Halloween, ball game day, and a full moon ,so I put 70 candy bars (yes I am the big candy bar lady) in a tote, with a pair of tongs and a note to please be kind and just take one, then we took off for Son2' and DIL2's house to eat and watch the game (Roll Tide) I loved seeing how Mom's things have meshed with theirs, and loved being with them.
When we got back home all the candy was gone. I figure it lasted until the first group who came by without a parent got here.
About 10:30 which is 8:30 for my favorite girl, I had a long FaceTime call as she inventoried her Halloween loot! Reese cups for the win! I think she had about 12 of them, followed closely by KitKats!

Sunday: We received  a call Friday morning from a neighbor near the lake place and knew Zeta had left an ugly mark there. We could not go Friday because we had live wires across the yard and the driveway so there was no way to get into the house. They were still live Saturday morning and by the afternoon when they were taken care of, it was too close to the ballgame for us to go down just to survey the damage and make it back in time to watch it.  (Priorities, right). We went Sunday and found there were a lot of trees down but no structural damage to the house other than having the power lines to the house ripped out by fallen trees, and the screen door to the porch kind of shredded. Lucky!!!
I am also joyful that I learned long ago to empty the ice maker and turn it off before we leave. It's true that we lost everything in the freezer and refrigerator, but we kept very little down there and I did not have to deal with water from the ice maker pooled everywhere. 
When we got home I had another FaceTime visit with my favorite girl who was playing with her doll, Audrey. We decided Audrey was on a trip to Hawaii and riding in her boat (a rainbow striped sneaker).

Monday: I spent the day at home, mostly catching up on the laundry I did not do during the weekend. I know I have said my living room and dining room got a bit of a facelift by incorporating some of Mom's pieces with mine, which made me look at the den more critically. It is looking a bit sad and dated but I am not willing to buy new furniture. I have had the den sofa for about 30 years through one upholstering incarnation, but we plan to move sooner rather than later and have no idea what any new home will look like. I had rather wait until then to buy new or even have the current one redone again. (It really does have good bones) Instead I bought slipcovers for the couch and love seat and was able to get them fitted. I like the look but I have loose back cushions and the slipcover fits them oddly. After some critical thinking Monday, I decided to purchase an additional slipcover (for fabric) and make covers for the back cushions. They should look purposeful instead of a little wonky. So I guess my joy for the day is twofold. One is the simple joy of making a decision, and the other is inheriting Mom's sewing machine. (Which is an excellent one, and should make the sewing part so much easier. It is so much better than the one I had)

Tuesday: It is Election Day and I have the wonderful privilege of casting my vote. I was not thrilled by the choices, but still feel it is important to be a part of the process. Now that the die is cast, my hope is for some semblance of national unity. No matter what the outcome is I intend to be kind, live my life and love other people. 

My wish is for everyone to look for  and find joys every day. They are there! 

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad Zeta was kind to you - or as kind as that kind of storm ever can be - but not having electricity makes you appreciate just how much we take for granted doesn't it. And I hope people will be kind after this election, but sadly I seriously don't think that's going to happen. Good luck and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think kindness will be a part of the nation, but I can only do my part and I will be kind to everyone.

      Delete
  2. Glad Zeta didn't do more damage. What a pain to be without internet! I rely on it much more than I realize. And I can't type on my phone to save my life. Well, if I HAD to I'm sure I'd pick up the knack. Eventually. :-) I really prefer a computer keyboard -- much easier for my fat fingers to manipulate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize how much I use the internet, especially things I have bookmarked. Arthritis and texting are not friends.

      Delete
  3. The only way I can type on my phone is with a stylus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even try with a stylus. I do as little as possible.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that Zeta bypassed you and didn't do much damage. Thank you for your wonderful list of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful every single day. Even if I am in a bad mood and mad at the world I am grateful I have a safe place to be a piss pot.

      Delete
  5. I cannot type on my phone (and can only just read from it).
    I am glad that Zeta treated you relatively kindly. And love your joys.
    Kindness is a wonderful goal (and I need to start with my inadequate self). Thanks for the reminder.
    And hooray for joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can read from my phone if I am wearing my glasses. If not, well I can almost read but the words I read might be totally different than what is written.

      Delete
  6. I let my frustration out last night, not proud of how upset I was getting, and today I'm trying to be more stoic-not accepting necessarily with peace what happens, but knowing I need to be part of positive-not hate. I'm sorry you have amess a tthe cabin, but you sure found the positives. You talking about your granddaughters hau, reminds me of the sorting piles. Kit Kats were always a high count getter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lake place is ok. We have a ton of clean up to do but we will get it done slowly but surely.
      I was having severe chocolate cravings and wanted some of those KitKats!

      I refuse to be part of hatred. It is a choice, and my choice is to not choose it. It doesn't mean I have to agree or like everything, but I will not let it define who I am. I like/love people who believe differently than I do and will continue to.

      Delete
  7. Good to hear that your lake house didn't sustain too much damage. The visits with your granddaughter are so much fun! Eli still isn't good at telling me things, but he can run aound the house with the phone or IPad in his hand. I get dizzy!

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pip is older and good at communication and random FaceTime. I can always tell when her parents are busy because she will FT me at very odd times. She dances and spins and makes me dizzy.

      Delete
  8. So glad Zeta damage was minimal. And, I hear you - working on kindness, compassion & empathy, as well as taking care of myself. For me, that means practicing the aforementioned, but also learning how to handle challenging situations. Meditating, treating myself (and others) kindly, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned I have very little control over anything in the world other than myself, so I am actively trying to be kinder and nicer than normal. I am always kind, but not always nice!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad that Zeta didn't cause more damage. I don't have Alexa, but, I do rely on electricity, not to mention the internet! Oh, to have a rainbow striped boat and be on the way to Hawaii! :D Wonderful list of joys for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just striped, but stripes with glitter dots! What a grand boat!

      Delete
  10. So happy you missed the worst of the storm. I would love to ride on a sneaker boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come south and bring Sluggy with you. I will find us a sneaker boat!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.