Translate

Monday, November 30, 2020

A Week For Thanks and Christmas Card Reminder

This week came and went with the beginnings of the holiday season. Along with the season this year I expect no parties, concerts or any of the traditional holiday festivities. Instead I anticipate a holiday season filled with time at home and time for reflection. Maybe it is what the season should be about anyway. 





The meals that were or were not:
1. Crustless pizza, salad
2. Some kind of soup (totally uninspired right now)
3. Melt in your mouth chicken, spinach salad, mashed potatoes or caulimash
4. Sliced turkey from the deli, dressing (bought frozen), green bean casserole, cranberry relish, collards (cooked  a couple of months ago and frozen), pumpkin roll (from Aldi) pecan pie.
5. Something cooked on the grill with a salad (Pretty sure I have a steak in the freezer)
6. Iron Bowl *meal. Potentially hot dogs and snack foods
7.Take out

 Monday: I spent a good part of the day at Mom's while the painters were there. When I got home it was late and I needed/wanted something that did not take a long time to cook and was easy to make. We are still getting green beans from the garden and I had strung them Sunday night and cooked them early Monday morning, so I knew they would be our side dish.  Since I had thawed some chicken the meal was a no brainer
Melt in your mouth chicken/ green beans/ tomato slices

Tuesday: I was still at Mom's with the painters and did not get home until after 5. I was so thankful for cleaning the pantry last week and finding a bottle of white pizza sauce. The meal virtually planned itself.
No crust pizza bowl/ salad

Wednesday: I waited all day for the painters to call before they got to Mom's. I waited all day for nothing! Instead I put up the living room Christmas tree and did a bit of decorating in the dining room. When TheHub called to tell me he was on the way home and asked what was for dinner was the first time I even thought about food. So I made a quick phone call and he picked it up. Best 10 buck (for 2) meal around
Hot and sour soup and egg roll

Thursday: Turkey day and that is enough said about the first ever Thanksgiving we have spent totally by ourselves. It was relaxing and since I had bought prepared food it was easy.
Turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, cranberry relish, pumpkin roll


Friday: TheHub had a gift card to a new restaurant and we wanted to use it before it possibly went out of business thanks to Covid. Since it was for more than we could possibly eat in one meal, we bought 3 dinners (take out only because I will not go to restaurants right now)
Meat loaf over lima bean puree with Brussels sprouts, or  paneed chicken with broccolini  

Saturday: We ran a couple of quick errands and looked at a car for me then came home to settle in for ball games. For dinner we split the extra dinner we had bought the night before.
Beef filet with new potatoes, tossed salad

Sunday: We were either going to have to toss the turkey meal  leftovers or eat them for dinner.
Leftover turkey and dressing, tossed salad

 DIL3 and Son3 are heading this way mid December to ride out the holiday here instead of in the city. She has never spent Christmas in the states so I am blowing out the holiday decorations. This week is dedicated to bows and glitter. Meal prep is taking a backseat and the menu reflects it! 

And going into the week's possibilities:
1.Soup and cornbread
2. Turkey sandwiches, coleslaw
3. Chicken broccoli casserole, spinach salad
4. Philly cheesesteak casserole, tossed salad
5. Chili, cornbread, coleslaw
6. Hamburger patty, baked sweet potato, green beans
7. Veggie meal to be decided later. (I am just not feeling it right now)


The Christmas Card Exchange is Over Tonight. If you want to join in it is not too late If you emailed me and have not heard back, it means I did not get your email and please send it again to haljam27@gmail.com.  The rules are quite simple, You mail three cards to 3 different bloggers/blog readers, and get three in return. We hope you will join in the fun!
I am going to be emailing the contacts to everyone tomorrow night.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you enjoyed some nice meals last week. So nice that DIL3 and Son3 will be coming to spend some time with you. Have fun decorating and take some photos for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIL3 is in for a treat. Several treats - as are you.
    Sometimes bows and glitter are essentials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not like glitter and don't use it because it is the herpes of the Christmas world, but I am doing the shiny big blowout. My biggest mistake is keeping years and year worth of accumulated Christmas decor, because I seem to be finding a place for all of it.

      Delete
  3. How neat that you are still getting green beans from your garden, Anne. Your meals sound good. I like Hot and sour soup too. I made a vegetable soup yesterday and have enough for a couple of days. How exciting that DIL3 and Son3 are coming for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited they are going to be here to celebrate with us. I know she will miss being in Sweden so I am going to try and make it as festive as possible!

      Delete
  4. Wow green beans this time of year. I want pictures of your decorations, what do you mean by all out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean I am not leaving a stone unturned . I even have Christmas sheets and a comforter this year

      Delete
  5. Your meal plans always look good to me. :) How wonderful that your Son 3 and DIL3 are coming down to spend Christmas with you! Oh, I am sure your DIL3 will be in for a treat when she sees your decorated house! Do, please take some photos to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a really bad photographer, but I will take some and post them. Maybe I should do a pictorial advent countdown with one area each day!

      Delete
  6. I dealt with the last of the leftovers this morning, and have some easy to put together meals in the future. I hope your DIL loves your traditions and decorations and I am happy you will have the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she will miss her family home badly, so I hope I can soften the blow a bit by being extremely festive.

      Delete
  7. How lovely for your DIL to get to see her first US Christmas. It's pretty different from how they celebrate in Sweden I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope we can incorporate some of her traditional celebrations as well as ours!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.