Translate

Saturday, November 21, 2020

The Souffle That Wasn't




 I honestly had every intention of making a chili relleno soufflé, but as the late afternoon turned into evening and I had done nothing to prepare I decided to change tactics and make the same dish just in a different format. I was really just being lazy and did not want to lug the mixer out just to whip the egg whites.I also did not want to run to the store to grab some poblanos to char and peel. Instead we had a variation on a theme of what was planned


Lazy Anne's Chili Renello Casserole 

2 cans whole chilis
4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (like I  measured___NOT!)
4 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
2 eggs, beaten
1-2 tablespoons cream, or milk
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350
Brush a small baking dish with olive oil
Drain the chilis, cut them in half and cover the bottom of the pan with half of them
Sprinkle half of the cheese over the peppers
Add another layer of peppers followed by all but a couple of tablespoons of the remaining cheese
In a small bowl beat the two eggs, add the cream and the seasonings and blend well.
Pour it over the peppers and cheese.  Wait a couple of minutes for the egg stuff to find its way through the peppers and cheese. 
Pop it into the oven and let it bake about 25 minutes until it is set and browned. Remove form the oven and immediately sprinkle the remaining cheese over it. If needed stick it back in the over for one minute so it will be all melty and delicious. 
I probably should have let it set for a few minutes before cutting it, but of course I didn't. Top with salsa of your choosing and dig into some cheesy, slightly spicy deliciousness. . It was just enough for the tow of us, with nothing leftover, and was so good TheHub said he would like to have this often. Score one for the lazy cook who took the path of least resistance. As usual!

Give it a try, you might like it. And as long as you use a salsa with no sugar in it, this is also Keto. If you are not on a keto plan use any salsa you love and don't worry at all. If I had any, sour cream a dollop on top of the salsa would have been great.

I think during the holidays I am going to make yet another variation of this using chopped chilis and cooked bacon for a leisurely breakfast meal.  For breakfast I will probably make a fresh Pico de Gallo  instead of using salsa.

Remember, you still have time to join in the blogger Christmas card exchange. It's as simple as sending three and receiving three. There are no other rules! Just email haljam27@gmail.com to join in!

17 comments:

  1. Lazy is fine. Particularly when the deliciousness is retained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazy works here sometimes even if the end result is not delicious.

      Delete
  2. It sure sounds delicious even if it was made the lazy way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attempted to make "Australian dumplings" today, spent ages bubbling the dumplings away in a sugared syrup and the bloody things plopped all over the place so I poured it all into a large dish, stuck some praline on top and called it "dumpling pie". Only 10 trillion calories a slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dumpling pie is a wonderful thing. I can't tell you how many times I have screwed something up that had to be transformed into something else.

      Delete
  4. I think my children would enjoy that, me not so much as I'm not a big fan of a lot chilis. But it's always nice when things turn out without a lot of fuss.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These chilis were a little milder than I would have preferred, but it worked perfectly fine for us.

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious. I've copied it onto a recipe card to make sometime, calling it exactly as you do! Celie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of anything with the least bit of heat, but it is nice to transform a dish before you start for ease of making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. Fortunately we like heat in our food so it was great for us.

      Delete
  7. You simplified the recipe and came away with a winner! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.