Translate

Friday, November 6, 2020

What's Happening After Midnight

 


I don't know about the rest of you, but the lack of sunshine and the time change really affects my body, mood, outlook, and sleep patterns. Normally I stay up until dark thirty. My creative juices seem to go crazy after midnight and fortunately I have enough room in the house that I can do my thing without bothering TheHub's sleep. But for a couple of weeks after switching from daylight savings time to standard time, I fall asleep on the loveseat before 9, then wake about midnight and of course I can't get back to sleep. So now I am in the transition period and just woke from an uncomfortable, unintended nap raring to go. 

I decided midnight plus is a great time to process some ground chuck I bought. To get the really good sale price you have to purchase the family pack and because there is just the two of us eating, I get a minimum of four meals out of each pack. And since I bought 3 of them I had some serious processing. 

For most of it I just pack about 3/4 of a pound in freezer bags, flatten them out to remove any air and stick them in the freezer. But I like to have some prepared things on hand all the time. So I decided to go ahead and make beef chorizo. It needs to be refrigerated so all the flavors will marry before I put it in pint size bags for the freezer. Since I am making it anyway I might as well share the making part with you. I am not sharing pictures today tonight because it is nothing but spiced and seasoned raw beef right now and that is just not very exciting. The excitement part comes from eating something delicious later. It might not be pretty but it is delicious. 

You might ask why I make it rather than just buy it since I can find it at any store. It is made the same way whole hog sausage is made and I don't buy that either. I prefer to know the cuts I am eating. I am sure hog cheeks and salivary glands are perfectly edible, I just don't want to eat them. And because I am an ingredient checker I see things that I can't unsee. So I make my own, buy butcher made sausage, and only buy kosher hot dogs. Additionally I had rather use beef than pork for this mainly because I can buy really good ground chuck but I have to grind my own pork. Yeah, I admit it is the path of least resistance that drives my choice here.

2 pounds 80/20 ground chuck
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper (I use the already ground stuff)
5 tablespoons ancho chili powder (sometimes I use 2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder instead)
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (you need the acid but you won't taste the vinegar)

The best way to mix this is wearing food safe gloves and just mix and mix in a large bowl until everything is incorporated. Stuff it into a food safe bag and let it rest about 24 hours.  After that I cook it crumbled, let it cool then pack it into freezer bags for future use. It is delicious and adds so much flavor to so many dishes. Next week I plan on making a chili relleno soufflé  and will use some of it! 

Since I now have to clean the kitchen again anyway, I might as well make meatballs for Italian wedding soup. I will be so glad when my body adjusts to the new time! 


30 comments:

  1. Even thought we got an extra hour on Sunday, I'm still adjusting also. I'm going to bed at the same time by the clock, but waking up at least an hour earlier. I need routine and sleep for my body to function best, and I'm not there yet. I'd like to say that when I get up early, I'm doing something productive like making meatballs, but I can't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke than could not go back to sleep before 4. I can't stand this transition which happens every year.

      Delete
  2. I hate the time change but either way by midnight I'm out like a light! You sure were productive! I made a big pot of Italian wedding soup last week. It was so good that I'm ready to make another batch. Your beef chorizo sounds great too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not even make the soup, I just made to meatballs to freeze for the soup sometime later.

      Delete
  3. I'm so grateful we went to DST in the mid-60's so there are no time change issues here. My only problem is figuring out what time it is in the places that do change!

    I like the idea of making the chorizo - I'll have to bookmark this page and give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Tommy were not sleeping in his recliner all the time, I would be in the kitchen doing things! I am amazed that I am sleeping better since the time change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on the time change messing with my body (and mind). I like your use of the time. It is just after 3am here and I am wide awake. As you can tell, I am on the PC rather than being productive though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I spend lots of unproductive time late at night going down internet rabbit holes.

      Delete
  6. We could get work done together-same thing is happening to me, but lets say 7:00 falling asleep, well before 9! I love the recipe you provided-and I love stuffed chili's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be so happy when I adjust to this. I am a late night person but this waking then staying up until 4 or 5 has gotten ridiculous

      Delete
  7. I though I would return to night owl staus after moving but so far it hadnt happened. Still wandering towards the bedroom at 10 and getting up at seven. I wish summer time would be permanent time, evening darkness is depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand I cannot change the seasons or the amount of daylight any season has, but dark at 4:30 in the afternoon is just depressing.

      Delete
  8. I've been known to bake after midnight! I'm usually up until well into the wee hours of the morning, anyway. The time change hasn't made much of a difference in that respect for me. Your chorizo sounds wonderful. I don't have ancho chili powder, but, maybe I can substitute my regular chili powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any powered pepper would do except for regulation black pepper. Yep I bake late and do all sorts of things late, but usually without this evening nap.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, that sounds so good, Anne. My daughter loves chorizo, so I will have to make this for her. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that recipe. As I'm in cooking mode having my son here I'll definitely give that a go. It's odd that you talk about having to grind your own pork, I can't get it ground here. You CAN get it ready-ground in Switzerland (and in England) but here the butchers don't do it because it means changing the grinder. Net result, I rarely use ground pork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally I will buy some lean pork and grind my own but it is a rare occurrence. I think it is all about cleaning the grinder, but my local butcher says it is a state ? county? regulation that prohibits them from grinding it. However they grind and make their own pork sausages so I have some serious suspicions about that . I am a lot of things but stupid is not one of them!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the recipe. You and I jumped off the same star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wonky star in the outer limits of the universe that is not like the rest of the stars?

      Delete
  12. I've always been a morning person- here it is just 5 AM and I've already read emails and had breakfast. I do NOT like day light savings time because I like it light early but I'm all for not changing the clocks. Of course, when one gets up early, one goes to bed early- like around 8 PM for me. I read at least an hour in bed and pretty much sleep until 4 or 5 AM without getting up even once. My husband was a night owl but he often would fall asleep in a chair and then go strong at midnight- kind of like what you said, Anne! When I had babies, I'd nurse before I went to bed, DH would give the one bottle a day when they woke up around 11 and I was fine for the next feeding. PS I've never needed an alarm clock in my life LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I go to sleep early I wake in the middle of the night. I don't think I ever sleep more than 5 hours.

      Delete
  13. I don't seem to have that much trouble with a 1-hour change -- it's the election that has been robbing my sleep. I'm so relieved at yesterday's announcement!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is glad it is over. Now if DT will just exit gracefully (like I think that will actually happen)

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I seem to snap alive after midnight too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, I want to complement this site administrator for creating this platform I frequently get cold sores(which lasts for 5-6 days on my lips and its painful both physically and mentally) .. As a bodybuilder, I basically get outbreak due to the daily pressure and heat in the body.. Recently I stumbled upon my salvation. I found a herbal remedy to cure hsv completely, in just 4weeks ..

    I got to know about Dr Utu after seeing a lady's testimony online. I reached the doctor and I ordered for herpes herbal medicine. He sent the herbs to me and I started making use of them. In just 2days, the cold sores are cleared. 4weeks after medication, I went to the hospital for test of cold sores and it was completely NEGATIVE.

    By following every prescription, i was able to cure my cold sore in less than 4weeks. 100% natural herbs no after effect.
    Note: Please do let others know if this work for you.
    The doctor's email is drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    Note : follow all instructions accordingly..

    If you are sure that you have benefited from this African herbs be courageous to inform others.
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.