Translate

Monday, May 10, 2021

Geet?

I have seen this written often, usually making fun of a southern accent. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what it was until I said it out loud, and then of course I knew. 
Geet? 
Yes, we had collards and peas
Just in case some of you had no idea what that meant, Geet? = Did you eat?
Personally I never say "Geet?" but then I have no accent. It's the rest of you who talk funny! 



 The J.B.'s "Pass The Peas" featuring the trombone antics of Fred Wesley 

Even though I declared I was going to start going to different markets every other week, I did not make it to an ethnic grocery this week. In fact, I did buy food of any sort other than a quick stop at a produce stand. So I am going to have to begin my ethnic store explorations this week. I am still going to go to the Latin market first, mainly because I am out of a few things I usually buy there. Plus I really do like to shop their Peruvian section. I love Peruvian food but do not make it regularly and need to hone my skills.

Speaking of eating, this is what was planned for the week:
1.Takeout (that is a given)
2. Grilled steak, tossed salad
3. Gussied up grilled cheese, coleslaw
4. Chicken Tinga with guacamole, shredded lettuce
5. Smoked pork, coleslaw, caulitato salad
6. Some big salad meal or veggie meal (depends on what is available at the produce stand)
7. Shrimp scampi, tossed salad

And this is what actually happened as opposed to the plan:
Monday: I have been actively trying to use everything currently in the freezer before I get all my frozen stuff from my sister's freezer. (Secretly I hope she and BIL have used some of it) I had a small package meat I had smoked during the holidays and it needed to be used.
Pulled pork, coleslaw

Tuesday: There was a small package of ground chuck in the freezer, and for some reason I had about 5 bell peppers in the fridge. Dinner decided itself.
Philly cheesesteak casserole, coleslaw (had some leftover from Monday's dinner) 

Wednesday: Happy Cinco de Mayo using more of those bell peppers!
Fajitas with tortillas or over crumbled cauliflower

Thursday: TheHub had eaten a big lunch at one of those business luncheon things. I was hungry but did not really want to cook
Grilled cheese sandwiches on regular or keto bread, copious amounts of dill pickles

Friday: You know you have been to a particular curbside restaurant pickup too many times when you go late and the waitress who normally brings you your food is getting off work for the night, calls you by name, stops to talk to you,  tells you she was glad you did not get all the Cinco de Mayo madness, and tells you your order is still being prepared, and she will see you next week. 
Takeout La Fiesta

Saturday: We had some errands to run and ate lunch very late. Neither of us were hungry for dinner so we just grabbed something to nibble on.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich or 1/2 leftover grilled cheese on keto bread

Sunday: Son2 and DIL2 came over to eat Mother's Day Dinner in the late afternoon. It was a perfect day with perfect guests.
Grilled steak, asparagus, baked potato, croissants, tossed salad, grasshopper mousse

Which moves us to this week's possibilities:
1. Veggie meal (squash casserole, coleslaw, keto cornbread, lady peas)
2. Black and Blue salad
3. Grilled lamp chops, rice or caulirice, Brussels sprouts,
4. Chicken Tinga, shredded lettuce, tomato slices, guacamole
5. Grouper meuniere, green beans, salad
6. Take out
7. Toasted cheese, tomato and onion sandwiches, mixed greens
Wildcard meal could be something Peruvian if I find something enticing.

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

15 comments:

  1. When I was in Peru I was impressed by the fresh vegetables but to be honest I can't really think of anything "typically Peruvian" other than guinea pig!!! I have a picture of Steve somewhere nibbling into one - but not for me thanks. And I agree with you on the accent business - isn't it weird how everyone else speaks funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geet is pronounced Jeet here.
    Sadly I am an accent thief. If I spend long with anyone with a marked accent I acquire it. Embarrassingly I also pick up the stutter of a very good and long standing friend as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an accent thief also, but most of the folks I am around right now (small bubble) are all from around here and speak like me.

      Delete
  3. If you had spelled it "jeet," I would have understood. But, I never say it that way. I do understand when it is spoken. When I taught a Japanese mother and daughter to speak English, I taught them to understand but never use all sorts of words like "jeet." I did well with my lack of a dinner plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to follow your lack of plan. I am not a good rule follower so plan or no plan I don't stick to it!

      Delete
  4. What food is Fogo de Chao supposedly? Is that Peruvian? Maybe it's supposed to be Brazilian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing Fogo de Chao I know of is the Brazilian Steak House by the same name. (Or as we fondly call it "Parade O' Meat") It might well be some type of cooking but I don't know.

      Delete
  5. It all sounds good to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of it sounds fabulous, and I say Geet quite often...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't know Peruvian food at all and had to look up chicken tinga. I'm learning about new foods just reading your blog.
    Jeet I might understand but when I read geet I thought it had a hard g sound. I'm sure you'd think I have an accent, but I really don't, eh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Canada with all those nice round vowels and the little lift at the end of the words

      Delete
  8. I say Geet all of the time, too. However, it took me a minute to figure out what it was. I was saying it with a hard G instead of soft G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.