Translate

Monday, May 31, 2021

Memorial and Un-Memorable Vittles


I am sorry to subject you to this song, but I use the first tune that pops into my head. When I used the word vittles in the post title, my pea brain immediately went into cowboy mode. 

First of all, Happy Memorial Day to all in the states, and Happy               Monday to the rest of the world!

I know I had a meal plan for the week, but my plan and my actions so rarely coincide. This week was no exception! I had forgotten TheHub was going to be out a couple of nights when I made the plan and I am dang well not cooking for just me. If I had to cook for myself I would make one huge pot of something once a week and eat it every night until it was gone and then I would just cook another large pot of something else. Lather, rinse, repeat!

This is what I thought would happen:
1. Pasta salad or keto pasta salad
2. Meat sauce with spaghetti or zoodles, tossed salad*
3. Squash casserole, tomato slices, collards, keto cornbread
4. Fat head dough pizza crust with some sort of toppings*
5. Toasted cheese or BLT, Brussels sprouts *
6. Thai lettuce wraps
7. Taco salad


And this is what we really ate:
Monday: I had ground chuck seasoned with Italian seasonings in the freezer and a pint of mushrooms that needed to be used which made a spaghetti night critical.
Spaghetti sauce over noodles or cauliflower bits (zoodles just did not sound good) tossed salad

Tuesday: TheHub has been asking for pasta salad for weeks. Even though pasta is a no-go on the keto plan I caved and made it for him. 
Pasta salad or fake pasta salad (cauliflower salad)

Wednesday: At the last minute we decided to go out to eat in a real restaurant. It did take driving to 5 different ones before we found a place with very good food and a light enough crowd to accommodate my comfort level.
Taziki's salmon or pork loin, asparagus, greek salad 

Thursday: TheHub was on a fishing trip so I ate leftovers.
Something non memorable from a container in the fridge

Friday: TheHub was on his way home from the fishing trip but was not going to be here until late. I still had a doggy bag from Wednesday's restaurant meal.
Leftover pork tenderloin, asparagus

Saturday: We were out running some errands and wound up at the New York Butcher shop which is two doors down from Sexton Seafoods. Somehow or another we came home with lots of goodies Hmmm. That changed the weekend plans_ drastically. 
Grilled steak patties, brussels sprouts, tomato onion cucumber salad, keto toast

Sunday: When we were at Sexton's I was finally able to get what I needed to satiate my recent food itch. Sometimes a crazy expensive ingredient is worth it.
Crab cakes with remoulade sauce, tossed salad

Which now brings us to this week's plan (and I use that term loosely)
1. Pulled pork, caulitato salad, squash casserole, keto version of strawberry pretzel salad (which is a dessert!)
2. White bbq chicken, zucchini (lookout meal plan; the garden is on!) leftover caulitato salad 
3. Veggie meal dependent on what is available at the produce stand Tuesday. keto cornbread
4. Grilled steak, zucchini fries, tossed salad
5. Thai chicken lettuce wraps
6. Greek chicken skillet, sautéed yellow squash, tossed salad
7. Take out/eat out/ blt  (unsure at the moment)

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!



12 comments:

  1. All worked out well. Congrats on going to a restaurant to eat, and glad you were able to get your crab this time too. Here's to another great week of good eats - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will still be finicky about what restaurant I go into, but I have to get back to living outside of my house. I just hope the slightly under 50 percent of my state who remain unvaccinated will have some sort of epiphany and realize it is for everyones good to get a shot!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you - now that the garden is on, we'll need to be flexible! Glad you got your crab cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I got the crab too! I have been craving them for over a month and they were delicious!

      Delete
  3. It has been cooking and cleaning here, like crazy trying to keep up with these kids. Crab sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crab was delicious, but chasing grand babies sounds better!

      Delete
  4. I got crab or fish in some form or other on my trip to DELMARVA....except she crab soup, dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My radishes, lettuce, and peas are just up and my tomato and pepper plants will be planted tomorrow. I envy you the fresh garden produce already!

    Glad you got your crab cakes. My first taste was in New Orleans in December 2018 - can't get fresh stuff here so I'll have to wait for another opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I am fortunate. There are a couple of fish mongers here who have gulf seafood shipped via trucks daily so we can find things as long as they are in season. Right now it is red snapper season so I might but the plan with a snapper dinner

      Delete
  6. It all sounds good to me. Enjoyed the song clip, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the song too, but I am old enough to remember the show!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.