Translate

Monday, May 3, 2021

A Weak Week of Meals

Last week is read this post from the blog Sam, Coffee, Money, &Thyme. She was talking about exploring a different ethnic grocery store and her finds there which inspired me to do the same. At least every other week I plan on going to some of the wonderful markets around here and planning a meal each week using the items I find there. Since Cinco de Mayo is this week it just makes sense that I would start with a local Latin market. There is one fairly close to my house which is gigantic. I tend to go  shop there about 2 times a year, so I am due for a visit anyway. 


What was planned:
1. TheHub will be out of town so popcorn maybe?
2. TheHub will still be out of town so cereal perhaps?
3. Crab cakes with remoulade sauce, coleslaw, green beans, keto dinner rolls
4. Grilled tuna steaks,  broccoli, tossed salad, toast or rolls
5. Big salad meal (No clue yet what type)
6. Grilled burger with all the fixings, caulitato salad or some kind of chopped salad
7. Take-out

What was eaten:
Monday: While visiting with my cousins Monday, the one staying with our uncle brought containers of pulled pork that was leftover from their previous nights dinner. I was going to be the only one here for dinner and had already decided I was not going to cook. Luckily for me I did not have to eat just popcorn
Pulled pork sandwich 

Tuesday:  TheHub's flight was not getting in until later at night and there was no way I was going to cook. 
Cheese and crackers

Wednesday: It was a pretty day, in fact, a perfect day for firing up the grill.
Grilled tuna, roasted broccoli, cucumber slices and pickled radishes

Thursday: TheHub had specifically asked for a ball game meal. I assumed incorrectly that Alabama's women were playing a softball game he wanted to watch. For us a ball game meal is anything that can be scarfed down quickly since we do not eat our meals anywhere other than either the kitchen or dining room table. Stupid me! Instead we ate our hamburgers really fast so we could watch the NFL draft.
Hamburger with fixings (sans bun or not) cauliflower salad or chips

Friday: Earlier this week, my beloved sister and I were at Mom's doing a little sprucing up around her backyard patio. We had moved her gigantic rolling garbage bin to the backyard to make cleanup a little easier, so we could just toss debris in it then take it to her curb for the yard trash pickup. I found an old galvanized garbage can they used to collect yard waste filled with what I thought was pine straw, so I upended it into the bin. Only the first half was pine straw. The bottom half was some unidentified dark powdery residue that exploded into a cloud of gray. I have no idea what I accidently inhaled while emptying the can, but I have been coughing ever since. By Friday, I was feeling like a tank ran over me and nixed our plans for dining al fresco as our weekly date night.
Take out from La Fiesta...Chili poblano

Saturday: We had intended to have crab cakes Saturday night. I have been craving them for over a month but had just not made it happed, so late Saturday afternoon we headed to our local fish market to grab a pound of lump crabmeat__just at the time for a moratorium on crabbing so they can lay their eggs. I understand completely, but my mouth was disappointed. Crab cakes will have to wait for another few weeks. 
Neither of us had eaten and had planned to grab something on the way home from the store, but we had bought a pound of shrimp and had it steamed so we came home and ate shrimp and a tossed salad for a late lunch. When it was time for dinner neither of us was really hungry which changed dinner plans completely.
Keto toast or peanut butter filled pretzels

Sunday: A few weeks ago, I was buying groceries at The Pig and was looking through the spice section for dried chives when I spotted Captn' Anderson's seafood seasoning. It is one of our favorite restaurants when we go to the beach and the food there is always delicious, so I bought it. 
Because of our late lunch and no dinner Saturday night it made sense to cook what we had bought for that meal. The bonus was being able to use the seasoning I bought beforehand. 
Broiled tile fish, tossed salad



I have no affiliation with anything or anyone , so any product I recommend is simply something I have used and really enjoyed. If you don't have a store that stocks this bottle of deliciousness you can find it here.

And now for this weeks possible but not probably meals:
1.Takeout (that is a given)
2. Grilled steak, tossed salad
3. Gussied up grilled cheese, coleslaw
4. Chicken Tinga with guacamole, shredded lettuce
5. Smoked pork, coleslaw, caulitato salad
6. Some big salad meal or veggie meal (depends on what is available at the produce stand)
7. Shrimp scampi, tossed salad


Now go enjoy your week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.

32 comments:

  1. I like the peanut butter pretzel meal. I love those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So does TheHub. I have an ancient container for potato flour that I keep the pretzels in. I can always tell when he is getting something because the lid makes a peculiar "ding" when it is put back on.

      Delete
  2. Well, your menus sound delicious!
    I sometimes have cereal for dinner.
    Tonight I made hot sausage sandwiches in the crockpot
    They were delicious!
    I need to write down certain meals because I will totally forget about them and it will be 5 years before I make it agaon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget meals we really like also. I try to keep a rotation list (loosely keep) of our favorites but like most people we do a lot of the same old same old.

      Delete
  3. Exploring local ethnic markets sounds like a real treat. I recently did that when visiting my daughter, who lives in a much larger city where the choices are much bigger. I finally went to H-Mart, the pan-Asian supermarket, which is huge. You will have fun!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing a little research and found a few I did not even know existed. I think it will be very much fun.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great week other than inhaling some unknown substance. That's a little scary! We watched the draft too but I didn't do any special game food. Usually for games I do a little buffet and it's the one occasion that we just snack in font of the TV instead of sitting down at the table. Sorry you didn't get to have your crab cakes. I will sometimes buy the vacuumed sealed packaged crab at the grocery store if I'm desperate. It always freaks me out that it's refrigerated but has an expiration date 6 months from now but I go for it anyway just to scratch that itch lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can wait for the fresh lump crabmeat. The fish monger did tell me that the last he got was 40 bucks for the pound, so I can wait a lot longer!

      Delete
  5. Your coughing sounds nasty. I hope it is going away.
    We often cruise the aisles in Indian/Asian stores and have made some wonderful dishes from ingredients we have found there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do go to an Asian market fairly regularly, and there are a couple of others I like to go to on rare occasions but I thought it would be fun to just browse and cook instead of going with intention.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that black powdery stuff at the bottom of that trash can sounds nasty and scary! Hope you are feeling better, now! I used to grocery shop at the ethnic food markets all the time, before Covid. Now, I stick to the one supermarket that offers curbside pickup. Of course, I consider stuff like hamburgers and hot dogs as ethnic food! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love crabcakes too but crab meat is not sold here at all. Sigh... Sometimes I make fishcakes to satisfy the craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about making fishcakes too, but my mouth is set on crab. I can just wait!

      Delete
  8. Hope you're recovering from whatever you inhaled. I wonder what it might have been.

    I had crab for the first time in NOLA two years ago - it was good. We don't get a lot of fresh seafood here, and to be honest, the frozen stuff just doesn't cut it for me. When I get to visit Vancouver Island I eat a lot of fish to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no telling what was in the bottom of the can.
      I like frozen scallops fine, but prefer fresh seafood. The market in my area has it delivered fresh each morning.

      Delete
  9. Did you ever find out what was in that garbage can? Hope you're doing better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a pretty obnoxious cough, but I feel much better

      Delete
  10. I did go to an Hispanic store, but I just cannot walk well enough to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seafood. I used to eat at a place called The Fish Market, or something like that, when I would go to the Birmingham area, prepandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several Fish Markets around. The one in Southside is the best.

      Delete
  12. I hope your cough is gone. It sounds nasty.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your cough is better. I'm in the process of cleaning out my freezer for hurricane season. I don't have a generator so if the power goes out for a few days, I lose everything- you know that story! One year I foolishly had bought 3 turkey breasts and lost them all- never again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In two years time, we lost the contents of our freezer 3 different times during tornado season. I finally bought a small generator. It produces enough juice to power the freezer and a small fridge I have in the laundry room. Finger crossed, so far we have not needed it, but this reminds me to start it up just to make sure it is in working order.

      Delete
  14. I've been craving crab cakes too! For a lot longer than a month. I really should make an effort and prepare some. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I can buy crab I am making some. The shrimp did not satisfy my craving.

      Delete
  15. Don't even ASK what the 3 Musketeers here have been eating the past week! lol Cereal, popcorn and such sounds good. Maybe when I get home I can convince Hubs that every night is fend for yourself night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures! I want/need pictures! I am assuming lots of pastries and laughter!

      Delete
  16. I typically make crabcakes for a meal on our family summer vacation at the beach. I'll have to remember to do that for our last hurrah trip. I use a Sunset magazine recipe that is easy & you bake the crabcakes (a little healthier, but definitely easier cleanup) & serve with a remoulade/aioli. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had already decided to make them in the air fryer.( I am still not sure why they call it an air fryer when it is really just a super fast convention oven) I know in Oregon you get that wonderful Dungeness crab. We only have access to blue crab which is tasty but much smaller and much more labor intensive.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.