Translate

Monday, May 24, 2021

Summer is Here and We are Hungry

Every week I make a meal plan and then kind of ignore it because life or sheer laziness get in the way of the plan. This week was no exception!



This is what I planned:
1. Peruvian chicken with green sauce, potatoes (or not) tossed salad
2. Frikadellen (German hamburger patties) green beans, keto German "potato" salad
3. Chicken Tinga (3rd time's a charm?) shredded lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole
4. Sloppy Joes (ball game meal) coleslaw
5. Meat sauce over spaghetti or zoodles, tossed salad (TheHub's request meal)
6. Maurice salad
7. Take-out

This is what changed:
Monday: TheHub called about midday (which he never does) mentioning that he wanted to pick something up for dinner. I have no qualms about not cooking, but he has this wonderful way of letting you know what he is in the mood for without actually telling you. He started saying "I could pick up something from Captain D's or I could go to Purple Onion, or I could stop by Captain D's or I can call La Fiesta, or I can grab something from Captain D's.
Captain D's seafood platter

Tuesday: I was cleaning the fridge Monday  and found 2 portobello mushrooms that I had forgotten about. Since they had to be used, the plan was altered__again!
Stuffed portobello

Wednesday: I meant I was going to make the chicken tinga since it had been on the meal plan (unmade) for 3 weeks running.
 Chicken Tinga, coleslaw

Thursday: Tuesday I had run by The Pig to pick up some ground pork which meant I was bound to making the German hamburger no later than Thursday. This was the first time I had tried this recipe and it was really delicious. The consistency was more like a meatloaf patty than a traditional burger, but we were eating it as a patty anyway so it didn't matter.
Frikadellen, marinated tomato onion cucumber bell pepper salad

Friday: Ball game night! The first round of the regional softball tournament games began Friday. And if Alabama is playing a tournament game we will be watching.
Sloppy Joes on keto buns (shhh! Don't tell TheHub) lots of pickles

Saturday: Since the softball game was on early, we did not have to have a ball game dinner. Instead a different meal plan detour happened. The day was so gorgeous it screamed at us to use the grill for dinner. 
Sesame crusted grilled tuna steaks, asian coleslaw

Sunday: The day was another gorgeous day and would have been perfect for grilling.  We had watched softball during the afternoon, then TheHub watched the PGA tournament (Congrats to Phil Mickelson for being the oldest person ever to win it.) so we ate later than I would have liked to be cooking outside.  The meal was so good I am really glad I cooked inside even if it did heat up the kitchen.
Peruvian Chicken with green sauce, green beans, tossed salad

Summer is here now, so our meals will get a little lighter. This is the time of year we like to sit on the screened porch at night with a cold beverage listening to the crickets, katydids, and tree frogs. 

This is what is planned. Will it happen or not? Who knows!
1. Pasta salad or keto pasta salad
2. Meat sauce with spaghetti or zoodles, tossed salad*
3. Squash casserole, tomato slices, collards, keto cornbread
4. Fat head dough pizza crust with some sort of toppings*
5. Toasted cheese or BLT, Brussels sprouts *
6. Thai lettuce wraps
7. Taco salad


Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

* The asterisk is just for my personal benefit to make sure I use things that are lingering and need to be used this week
mushrooms
shredded parmesan
brussels sprouts
cauliflower
mozzarella 


 



25 comments:

  1. We keep getting teased about Summer coming. It might be on it's way but might only stay a minute or two before it is cold and rainy again. Loved singing along with Nat. Your weekly menus sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have hit HOT now and it will not let up until mid October!

      Delete
  2. If I tried to sit on my back porch right now I'd need a snorkel, so lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been gorgeous and hot. We could use a little rain. We have a screened porch so it is relatively mosquito free and has the added bonus of being able to use it during rain storms. I love sitting there when there are thunderstorms over the valley.

      Delete
  3. However things work out, it all sounds delicious - you ate well and will eat well again this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I am visiting my uncle, I do not have to worry about food. He prepares everything. He is a fan of Mediterranean food so, we are having all sorts of healthy food. Love this life! Whenever I go to visit my sister, I cannot get out of the kitchen. I guess I should stay put. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not get better than having someone make things for you! Happy visit and happy eating!

      Delete
  5. We have enough fresh asparagus to have it every day this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love asparagus. That would be a fantastic problem!

      Delete
  6. Well done you.
    I have been too tired to cook (and even to eat). Hopefully the coming week will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious!
    I would love to try the Peruvian chicken and German hamburger if you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe or link. Please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to post the chicken later the week
      for the burgers
      1 lb ground chuck
      1/3 lb ground pork
      2 slices plain white bread crumbled (stale bread works best)
      1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika (the hot kind)
      small bunch of parsley, chopped
      1 small red onion minced
      salt and pepper to taste 1/4 teaspoon each(?)
      1 egg
      1 tablespoon oil

      mix everything together well and form into balls. Put the oil into a non stick skillet and bring the temp to about med high. Put in the burger balls and cook for about one minute. Using a spatula, flatten them into burger shapes. Cook about 5 minutes on each side until done. I served ours with spicy whole grain mustard and it was delicious

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Sounds tasty!

      Delete
  8. Who is Maurice and why did you take his salad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maurice was a kid who lived down the block when I was young. He stole my "Build Me Up Buttercup" 45 and I vowed revenge!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like it was a good week, no matter whether you actually ate what you planned or not! Flexibility is the key!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I want to eat grilled cheese or blts outside. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than likely the BLTs will win. I found gorgeous tomatoes at our local produce market

      Delete
  11. We've been travelling so we've not been eating the best, so it's time to eat a little lighter now that we're home. I see a vegetable heavy week coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a fake pasta salad last night using cauliflower instead of pasta. Totally vegan, but not really that good.

      Delete
  12. Love your menu plans! I always get so many good ideas from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I rarely actually wind up sticking to the plan.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.