Translate

Monday, May 17, 2021

Plans Are Highly Overrated

And so begins a new week!  As usual I will make a meal plan and typical of me, most likely will abandon it along the way. Such is life in fast lane ! (Which I do not live, but it sounds better)



This is what was planned:
1. Veggie meal (squash casserole, coleslaw, keto cornbread, lady peas)
2. Black and Blue salad
3. Grilled lamp chops, rice or caulirice, Brussels sprouts,
4. Chicken Tinga, shredded lettuce, tomato slices, guacamole
5. Grouper meuniere, green beans, salad
6. Take out
7. Toasted cheese, tomato and onion sandwiches, mixed greens
Wildcard meal could be something Peruvian if I find something enticing.

And this is where life interfered and what really happened:
Monday: I had invited DIL2 and Son2 for Mother's Day lunch. I knew I had steaks in the freezer, but forgot my frozen stuff was still mostly in my sister's freezer. When I was rustling around in mine I found just 2 steaks. I also found a package with 5 frenched lamb chops, so I thawed them  and cooked them along with the steaks, just to make sure I had enough. What I did not realize was that one of the steaks was of Fred Flintstone's brontosaurus steak proportions. We had leftover steak and did not even touch the chops. Leftovers!
Grilled lamb chops, mixed veggies, Thai noodles (leftover from TheHub's lunch) or none

Tuesday: Our favorite produce stand is back in operation. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, they sell fresh picked produce from their farm and a couple of other farms further south that have formed a loose cooperative. And now I can look forward to buying from them weekly until the first frost late in the fall.
Squash casserole, green beans, coleslaw, tomato slices

Wednesday: Between storms, working at Mom's, and sheer laziness and forgetfulness, I finally made it to my sister's Wednesday to grab my frozen foods and move them back into my freezer. I had forgotten how much I had! I intended to go to the fish market and buy grouper, but while I was putting things back in my freezer I happened on a package of scallops. Menu change!
Pan seared scallops, baked potato (or none) cucumber tomato onion salad

Thursday: It was a ball game night so we planned an easy meal. We do not ever eat anywhere but the table so the food had to be simple and something that could be eaten quickly between games. Fortunately I can do simple very easily.
Toasted cheese sandwiches (essentially cheese toast with grilled onions and tomato slices)
pickled radishes, bag of chips or bag of fake keto "cheese puffs" 

Friday: According to those who are sport superstitious, you can't plan anything for any game except the one you are guaranteed. Since Alabama won on Thursday we had another softball game to watch! I had a huge hunk of steak leftover from Mother's Day that had to be used, and it had to be a meal that could be eaten in 20 minutes or less, because of my "eating only at a table" rule. Glad I had this planned for this week anyway!
Black and blue salad, toast (delicious smelling real toast or fake keto toast)

Saturday: Bless his heart! TheHub had been drooling for a hot dog dinner since Thursday. It is not my favorite meal, but sometimes I have to remember I am not the only one who eats here and, occasionally, have to consider someone else's wants. (But I don't have to like it). I saved this for Saturday, knowing it was hit or miss whether Alabama would be playing or not. In the event they didn't I was planning on Chicken Tinga. Oh well! The upside is that Bama won the SEC tournament! Roll Tide! That means another ball game meal next week.
Hot dogs (bunless for keto), chips or keto cheese puffs, slaw 

Sunday: My beloved sister and I were at Mom's most of the day Sunday, and afterward I just did not want to cook. TheHub and I drove around looking at life, and decided to grab a quick meal while we were out. 
Wing Stop for the win! I love their lemon pepper wings and raw veggies

I still have-not begun my tour of local ethnic markets, but this week I am going to start. I might even begin today. The weather is gorgeous and other than a messy house I have nothing standing in my way!
 
And now on to this week's plan: 
1. Peruvian chicken with green sauce, potatoes (or not) tossed salad
2. Frikadellen (German hamburger patties) green beans, keto German "potato" salad
3. Chicken Tinga (3rd time's a charm?) shredded lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole
4. Sloppy Joes (ball game meal) coleslaw
5. Meat sauce over spaghetti or zoodles, tossed salad (TheHub's request meal)
6. Maurice salad
7. Take-out

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!





32 comments:

  1. Everyone around me is still hacking and I made a huge pot of homemade chicken soup and am sending it home with kids as I am sick of the crooping hack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have this stupid cough from whatever I inhaled at Mom's. It is better but still lingering. The soup sounds good.

      Delete
  2. All worked out well and the plan this week sounds great too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works out all the time, just not like I originally planned.

      Delete
  3. Your meals ALWAYS sound impressive to me.
    Later today I will go grocery shopping - and hope to be inspired by fresh produce into having some idea what might be cooked this week.
    Black and blue salad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is essentially greens, red onions, tomatoes (optional but not optional for me) warm steak slices, blue cheese crumbles with a dijon dressing.

      Delete
  4. Your meals sound so good to me!
    I'm going to google recipes for chicken tinga, frikadellen, peruvian chicken and maurice salad. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken I make on occasion. I have never had Maurice salad before but found it in my bookmarks and thought it was about time to try it.

      Delete
    2. I made skillet shawarma, and it was really good. Thanks for your ideas. I'm going to make chicken tinga this weekend.

      Delete
  5. I bet the Tinga strikes out again.....that's the ballgame, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am betting it does too, but I am planning on making it even if it is just going in the freezer

      Delete
  6. You always manage to have some wonderful meals. I'm a bit like your husband, I quite like hot dogs on occasion. This time of the year, they must be grilled. :)

    Hope all is going well with your mom's house and there will be a sale soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have grilled them but, yeah , it was just easier to cook them on a griddle

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I am not a huge fan, but we do have them on occasion. THeHub loves them

      Delete
  8. Oh! I am envious of the fresh market! We won't have one here for a month or so. I just love all the fresh things!!! Have a good week. I am a planner too. Sometimes it works out. Others. Not so much! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes have been outstanding! I am very glad things are growing and fresh.

      Delete
  9. You are very adaptable. I just struggle lately with any organization at home, for sure meal planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really not adaptable by natures and would like to control the world around me, but I can't. I mainly just shrug my shoulders and move on now.

      Delete
  10. A messy house should never stand in the way of fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking around here, it looks like. a messy house is always a messy house, fun stuff or not!

      Delete
  11. The best laid plans of (wo)men...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your loose plans. I have a really limited dinner prep window, so whatever is defrosted & ready to eat is typically what gets eaten. If nothing else, it helps us stick to the plan. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan and then punt at the last minute. As long as I don't have to run to the store to pick something up the meal works for me.

      Delete
  13. "Sometimes I have to remember I am not the only one who eats here." Well, in this house, that may be true, but, I AM the only one who cooks here, so, unless I get a very nicely worded request, which I will always try to honor, I confess to very often not giving a rat's ass what anybody else wants, and woe betide he who complains.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is just the two of us here now, so I try and be accommodating sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like winner meals to me, I love tinga too. I am with you 100% with eating only at the table, always been that way. I buy and freeze a lot so when it's pulled out and thawed, that's dinner and we're happy with that, so easy with just the 2 of us now. Lucky you with the coop, farmers markets not open here until the second week of June, can't wait. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got back from the grocery store. They had several packages of ground chuck for 1.00 less per pound. I bought 6 pounds and now have to brown most of it and put it in single meal packs for the freezer for some quick meals.

      Delete
  16. Had to look up what chicken tinga was. My daughter is in charge of planning meals, this week! She make a sausage stir-fry on Sunday night and my neighbor across the street sent us a dinner of roast chicken, salad, and rice cooked with vegetables. We finished the neighbor's rice and salad, but, there's leftover roast chicken. I had rice with the sausage stir fry for lunch, yesterday, and a chicken sandwich for dinner. Probably more of the same, today, too (plus there's squash soup in the fridge). Or, maybe I'll ask daughter to make me a salad with some of the roast chicken added to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just so glad you have her with you right now to take care of you.

      Delete
  17. I often find forgotten treasures in my freezer. Really need to do a proper inventory of it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I finally have mine inventoried. I guess having it go on the fritz was a good thing after all.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.