Translate

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

I'm Stuffed

We are not really the meat and potato type, and often have meatless meals. The other night was one of those nights. I found a couple of portobello mushrooms I had bought thinking I would toss them on the grill for a "bello" burger. Instead I stuck them in the crisper and promptly forgot about them until Monday night when I was cleaning out the refrigerator to get rid of anything that needed to be put into the garbage for Tuesday's pickup. And what did that mean? It meant I had to do something with them right away.

Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic,  minced
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
1 bag (8 oz.) fresh spinach, cut in shreds 
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup cauliflower rice (only because I had it leftover)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 slices lightly toasted bread, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 of a 4 oz goat cheese log (mine was garlic/herb)
2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned with the gills removed (Use a spoon and gently scrape them clean. Toss the gills)
2 oz, mozzarella cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350
In a large non-stick skillet add the onion to the olive oil and stir until it is wilted. Throw in the tossed garlic,  give it a couple of quick stirs before adding the chopped pepper. Cook until the pepper slightly softens then add the spinach and stir continually until is is soft and wilted. Add the tomatoes, cauliflower rice (optional) vinegar, crumbled bread and salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the mixture is somewhat dry and all combined.  Stir in the goat cheese until it is melted and incorporated throughout. 

Place the mushrooms cap side down on a parchment covered baking sheet. Divide the pan mixture in half and place it in each mushroom "bowl". Pop it in the oven for 15 or so minutes. Sprinkle with the grated mozzarella and return it to the oven until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

TheHub had eaten a pretty big lunch and I was not hungry, so the stuffed mushroom was all we had, but it was very filling and more than plenty for us. Plus it tasted really good. (Much better than it looked)

Give it a try. You might like it!



25 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds, and yes looks, delicious! I am definitely going to try it. I've made several of your recipes and really like them. Your herb chicken in crock pot is a go to now. Thanks! Celie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and I love it! We would get along well in the kitchen. I do 'What's in the fridge' quiches, soups, breakfast scrambles, and stuffed mushrooms - all my go-tos for using things up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty. I was glad I had cleaned out the fridge and found mushrooms and the spinach

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious! Unfortunately, my (non picky) teen only has two items he won't eat: shrimp & mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will eat shrimp if I have to but it is far from my favorite food.

      Delete
  4. I am not a big fan of mushrooms, myself, but, I will pass this along to my daughter who seems to like them. Thank you, Anne. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like them but if they are not your cup of tea, this would definitely not be for you.

      Delete
  5. Yum.
    I adore mushrooms. Co-incidentally I had a stuffed mushroom last night. Himself considers them even more poisonous than other vegetables and refuses to try them. Hiss loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds good- I'm not a meat fan either and I love mushrooms. This week I have been eating a quiche I had previously frozen- mushroom and spinach. My goal is to slowly clean out my 2 refrigerator freezers before hurricane season starts but it's going slowly LOL. I keep getting more vegetables in my farm share- poblanos, corn, carrots and potatoes this week. I'm thinking about making some potato soup later today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to get my fridges and freezer under control. I do have a small generator to see me through potential power outages during tornado/hurricane season.

      Delete
  7. You had me at mushroom.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mushrooms! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delicious. The best mushrooms I ever ate were in Cyprus - garlic mushrooms by any other name - but I ordered them and my husband and kids chowed down like they hadn't eaten for weeks. I now make garlic mushrooms frequently and they always go down well (as long as everyone eats them - they're a bit smelly of course)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing sounds better than smelly garlicky mushrooms! I am a garlic fan and a mushroom fan!

      Delete
  10. This looks so yummy, now I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks delicious. Mushroom and goat cheese! I know it must taste good with that combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like both the mushrooms and goat cheese so it was a winner for us.

      Delete
  12. That looks good although I'm not a mushroom fan.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.