Translate

Friday, December 31, 2021

And That's A Wrap!

Officially now the last day of the last week is here (or over, depending on where or when  you are reading this). This is the day I will re-read each week's post and remember or reflect on the joys each day brought. As with most folks, we did not have big joyous events because almost every time we planned something big a new variant of Covid reared its ugly head just in time to let us know it was not safe to go back in the water. Like everyone, I am tired of it, but still doing my part to keep those around me and myself safe. 
So I will have to content myself reading about the small things that happened and made me smile.
Here is to looking backward, with appreciation, then readjusting the throw pillows on the couch, my jeans and my attitude to look forward to  all the possibilities a new year brings.


Friday:
TheHub and I got out and drove around looking at Christmas lights for a little while. 7 o'clock Christmas Eve is a really nice time to be out and about. The shopping traffic is over and for the most part people are doing some sort of celebrating or prepping for Santa. We were nearly the only cars on the road and could stop and look at displays without holding any other cars up. It was a very peaceful way to see the lights.

Saturday: AKA Christmas! My beloved sister and her husband came over and joined Son2 and DIL2 for brunch. We had a couple of FaceTime calls with Son1's family in Portland, and a couple with Son3, DIL3, and her folks in Sweden. What do you think are the chances of getting them all to leave that snowy wonderland and come have Christmas in Alabama some day?
We had a wonderful day with great food, and a lot of laughs. Plus there is a beehive somewhere in the world with my name on it. (One of the best gifts ever.) Well, one of the best gifts, other than this puppet!

Sunday: This was a day for some much needed rest. I have been sleeping badly the past couple of nights averaging about 3 1/2 hours of sleep each night. I gave in to tiredness and took a couple of catnaps then hit the bed very early for me. (11:30 pm) I rarely nap and had forgotten how delicious a well timed short nap can be.

Monday: TheHub had an almost normal work day, but came home early. I had to run to our satellite courthouse (close to my house) to file some paperwork with the tax assessor so he went along for the ride. I have never been there when all I had to do was walk in and have just one person in line ahead of me. Bonus, the woman working the window was so helpful and such a lovely person. I have never walked out of there with a smile on my face, but I did then. Kudos to their personnel department for hiring such a delightful person!
For dinner we managed to finish off one of the Christmas leftovers, then watched Succession.

Tuesday: I had a fairly slow day and was not terribly productive except to begin the annual return of Christmas decorations to their closet. I did have a wonderful FaceTime conversation with Pip as she was  riding to Mt. Hood for a ski day with Son1. 
After TheHub and I ate dinner we finished season 2 of Succession and began season 3. It is not often when you find a program where every single character is so very flawed.
I also finished a very disturbing book. I should have just put it down

Wednesday: The day was not a very exciting day, but a little more Christmas was packed away until Thanksgiving 2022. 
We did have a FaceTime call from Pip. She was on her way home from skiing with Son1. According to Son1, this was the day she finally figured everything out and while we were on the call with her she was begging her dad to take her skiing again Thursday. 
We watched another episode of Succession, finished all or our contributions for the year, then I read while glancing occasionally at theAlabama -Tennessee basketball game. OK, I lied! I was reading and glancing until the last 4 or 5 minutes. Then I actively watched the lead change back and forth. It was an exciting game.
The last thing that gave me extreme joy was a combo Christmas decoration/Mother Nature event.  We have one of those lasers that projects tiny red and green dots on the outside of the house. We had purchased it several years ago when Pip was here at Christmas, and used it in the backyard to create the illusion our fence had lights. This year TheHub put it in the front yard and it looks like we hung tiny lights all over the front of our house.  
Wednesday night saw hard rains and heavy winds. The combination of the wind, rain and laser created the perfect conditions that projected a starburst over the front yard. It was an incredibly cool accident.

Thursday: I woke to a foggy day, which was very beautiful. Normally my morning coffee view looks out over the valley beyond my neighborhood, but Thursday I could only see the tops of the pine trees and the bare skeletons of the hardwood trees. It was really a beautiful ethereal look.
 The day saw more Christmas items returning to their boxes and bins, and more normalcy restored to our common living areas.. We did make a judgement call to leave the Dickens Village collection up a little longer, because both of us like the way it lights the corner cabinet in the dining room. Plus it does not look like Christmas as much as it looks like a snowy village scene.,
The added bonus happened after dark. The laser light is still aimed at the house and the gentle raindrops  reflecting the light created another starburst over the front yard. 

Wishing each and every one of you 365 days filled with joy as we begin this new orbit around the sun.
You will find what you look for, so make sure you search for the joys. They are always out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Happy New Year!
Anne

28 comments:

  1. A very, very Happy New Year to you and yours. And hooray for the joys which, as you know, are always there. For which I am grateful.
    A bee hive? Wow. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you got those video calls with your family farther away. It helps a bit. I actually look forward to quieter Christmas times in my future, but better be careful what we wish for. Happy New Year, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have enjoyed this entire holiday season. It has been mostly relaxed and we have enjoyed the down time

      Delete
  3. I too just finished Succession, other than the very foul language, I mean really you have to use the F bomb as a verb, adverb, conjunction, preposition, noun all in one sentence. Professional people high up do not act like that, or do they? The acting is just way too good. There will be a 4th season and we have to wait. But what a huge group of goofs. Sometimes I feel sorry for the kids, and then I think wait a minute....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first sentence of your comment the stopped. We are just at the beginning of season 3 and I don’t want to risk reading any spoiler

      Delete
    2. No spoilers here, but I do love the characters each one is so flawed.

      Delete
    3. They are flawed___big time flaws! I am so glad I am not part of a family like that.

      Delete
  4. I had heard about Succession in an almost cult-like way. It seems to have a very devoted following. Curious, I checked the first season out of the library and my husband and I watched the first episode. It was easy to see that the show was set up for a lot of drama. However, like you said, every character is flawed and we found them unlikable. My husband was especially bothered by that, so we won't be watching any more together. However, we did read up on the other seasons to see where the story was going. When I try to describe the show to others who know nothing about it, I say it's like Dynasty or Dallas for cable. I'm glad I saw it because now I get a lot more of the cultural references I hear about the show.

    But otherwise, Happy New Year! Enjoy you're in review--the joyful version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying it mainly because neither of us have Logan Roy tendencies and our sons and their spouses are not like the”kids”

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year Anne! Wishing you and yours a joyful, healthy, and happy 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing your family the same! I hope 2022 is a great year for all of us!

      Delete
  6. If I were you I'd be plotting how to get to Sweden for Christmas! lol Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beehive of your very own? Cool! Happy New Year -- and congratulations, too, on the Tide's big win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beehive lives in another country. It was a heifer project gift

      Delete
  8. I hope you enjoyed reading all your weekly joy posts, Anne; I look forward to reading the next round of joyful posts. A very Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To be able to walk into any administrative building and have (a) just one person in front of you and (b) a pleasant encounter must be quite something. Although that being said I have only ever had good experiences with staff here in France - it's just the huge lines that get to me. And it's interesting to see you watching Succession and enjoying it. I've watched just three episodes so far and I admit I'm struggling to get into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a few episodes to figure out just how horrid everyone is, but then I was hooked like a big mouth bass on a purple worm.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I hope your new year is a happy, stress free, and healthy year for you Rachel!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.