Translate

Friday, December 10, 2021

Week 49 Joys

Wow! We have just finished week 49 for the year. It does not seem possible that Christmas is just around the corner with the year ending one week later! Time has flown, then flown even faster. As usual I am keeping a list of daily joys I find. This year has been filled with things that make me happy, mostly small things, but joys nonetheless. On New Year's Eve, I will grab a celebratory beverage and read over the things that brought me joy for the year, and think of each of you who have read these this year!


Friday: Son2 and I went to a production of A Christmas Carol. Unless U is an educational/recreational program for adults with special needs. They put on a couple of productions each year and it serves as part of their outreach program as well as a fundraiser. Just estimating, I think there were a couple of hundred folks at the 2 o'clock performance and they had a second one at 6 which, I imagine, had a higher attendance.  Between the handbells, dancing, and singing along with the play it was a most wonderful way to begin the holiday season.

Saturday:  While the rest of you were busy doing seasonal events, TheHub and I spent our afternoon doing something really important. We watched the SEC championship game. I never even had a single thought that Alabama would win, but they did. Roll Tide! Now they are headed to the semi-finals. Wow!

Sunday: TheHub and I had a kind of lazy day doing a little Christmas decorating, a little eating and finished the night off with a shared bowl of popcorn while watching Succession. TheHub had not watched the prior seasons, so I am watching it from the beginning with him while he catches up. I want him to hurry because I am itching to see season 3

Monday: I had a surprise visit from DIL2. She is a visiting Occupational Therapist and was in my area with an hour between visits. I love it when she can stop by during the day! 
After dinner TheHub and I watched the Patriots/Bills game. I do not normally watch NFL games, but Mac Jones was Alabama's QB last year and is having a really good rookie season, so I watched___kinda. It is entirely possible I was reading while the game was on.

Tuesday: TheHub had to go to a Christmas party at one of the banks they do business with, so I had planned on eating a bowl of soup alone. I was quite surprised when Son2 and DIL2 called to say they were near my house grabbing some takeout. Of course I asked them to come over and eat it while it was hot  instead of taking it back to their house (across town). Turns out I had company for dinner instead of eating alone, and it was delightful.

Wednesday: I spent the day with my good friend M. We took off our regular everyday life hats and traded them for figurative elf ears and a little elf cap.
For the past 12 years we have offered our services for a band fundraiser for our local high school band. Our sons are now in their late mid 20's and have been out of high school for years, but we still continue this project.
We take orders, then write personalized (mentioning individual things about each child who gets them) letters about what is gong on at the North Pole. We have normally sent the letters to either the North Pole, Alaska or Santa Claus, Indiana post offices for remailing. This year we have less faith in USPS so we bought a North Pole cancellation stamp, and printed fake stamps and addressed them as usual. It meant we had to put them in a larger envelope and mail them to their parents using the local post office, but it also means the Christmas magic can continue.
Also on Friday the multi event present TheHub and I were giving each other for the year was delivered and installed. Woo hoo!

Thursday: M and I finished the letters and now the only thing we have to do is figure out what Santa, Mrs Claus and all the elves are going to be up to next Christmas. We generally start formatting the letter for the next year while this year's tale is still fresh on our minds.  There is always a story with some minor conflict and resolution. Right now it looks like a North Pole string orchestra  and some careless bowing is going to happen. But who really knows? We have 10 1/2 months to get it ready.

And that wraps up the joys of this week. There were other happy and joyful moments but these are the ones that stuck out. Go out this week and look for joy. If it is what you are looking for, you will find it! 

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne

27 comments:

  1. Oh I think that is a wonderful idea for the children to receive handwritten letters from North Pole elves! And I remember your handwriting - so lovely - makes me ashamed of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad the letters are done and gone! I do hope it will brighten their day a little! ( I also hope one little guy learns to call his sister something other than yucky head)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beautiful wildflowers.
    And hooray for joys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Santa Claus letter project sounds like so much fun. And the joy it must bring to the children is fantastic.

    I won't be unhappy to see 2021 in the rear view mirror. I guess I need to keep track of my joys too and perhaps I wouldn't feel quite so strongly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something to be said about keeping up with joys or keeping a gratitude journal or whatever you want to call it. It keeps me looking forward rather than backward and forces me to take notice of the good things I see around me.
      The Santa letters are a tad overwhelming for a few days and then they are done for the year, except for constructing what is going on at the North Pole for the next edition.

      Delete
  4. Unless U's production of A Christmas Carol sounds delightful! Sad, but I haven't had much faith in the USPS for a couple years. Way to think outside the box with that North Pole stamp and fake postage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun to watch (but honestly was not as good as Independence Place's Beauty and the Beast.
      We decided we had to think of a different approach to things since the mail service has been so unpredictable lately.

      Delete
  5. Well one of my joys is to read about your joys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're both so sweet to do that project. The theater production and all the extra company was sure full of joys . DH wanted to watch the Bama game, but we took our daughter for dinner and the her concert. He watched the score by phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else we are faithful fans, though we would have missed it if we had a kid (or especially grandkid) thing to do.

      Delete
  7. I love this week's joys! That Santa letter project reminds me of a letter my daughter received when she was in 3rd grade. Still have no idea who sent it, but, the letter was signed "Santa Clause"! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa signs each letter and his signature looks remarkably like my Dad's (whose I learned to forge as a teen just in case I ever needed to____I didn't but every good Girl Scout is prepared for any emergency)

      Delete
  8. These wildflowers are so pretty! Thanks for sharing. Lovely Post dear! xoxo
    Allurerage 
    Thetrendybride 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering the other day, probably while you were working on them, if you were doing the Santa letters this year. I'm sure they are treasured and the band appreciates your continued support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each year I declare it will be my last, then each October we send out the forms for parents to return and it begins all over again.

      Delete
  10. I love what you are doing, writing letters to the kids. That just warms my heart. Glad you got to enjoy time with your kids this week. There's nothing more special than family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with the letters. When we have something going on the week of Thanksgiving I generally do not get Christmas decorations done and then I get behind and a little frustrated. Then I read about kids who are scared and will not sleep in their beds anymore and it makes me understand how all the discord and news is affecting this generation.

      Delete
  11. Roll Tide again!!! To be honest, I was shocked, but sooooo happy! Love your saying, may your weeds be wildflowers! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  12. How neat that you were able to spend time with your kids, Anne. I love that your DIL comes by while she is waiting on her appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your volunteer project! What a fun way to give back.

    Joys for me for the week:
    -Found out that the person I'm mentoring is finally going to leave the military base she's been on since she was evacuated from Afghanistan, and will be one step closer to being settled in. So happy for her.
    -The kids asked if they could fly to my parents a few days early & spend time with them, & "help" them with the holidays. I love, love, love that the boys are so close to my parents.
    -I got to watch Sam play soccer yesterday (Nick is injured) & that's always a treat.
    -I volunteered at the soccer tournament, selling tickets, & most people were really pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s hard to understand how the year can be ending so quickly!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a pretty busy week to me! God Bless you and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.