Translate

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Tuesday 4

It is that time again for another Tuesday 4 with questions provided by Annie @Tuesday 4. Hop over and join in the fun this week about movies and books.



1. Is there a hero or character on TV, in a book or a movie .. or even on all three, that you are especially like? What do you find attractive about them?
I love Ignatius J. Riley in A Confederacy of Dunces. The book is so well written and poor Ignatius serves as both the protagonist and the antagonist at the same time. I try and re-read it every year, and without fail, I fall in love with the book all over again. Ignatius is such a flawed character, who has no ability to recognize his personal shortcomings but can see (and magnify) any he sees in everyone around him.

Movie hero: Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption. 

2.  Was there a book that was better in movie form? How about a movie you thought didn't live up to the book?
Forest Gump was so much better in movie form. The book was poorly written.
In my opinion, most books are better than the movies.


3. When you choose a book, program or movie which subject it is most likely to be: science fiction, mystery, romance, comedy, documentary, etc.?  
No specific genres draw me in. I just like something to be well written, performed, and interesting

What draws you to a particular book or movie?
I am a huge book review person, and will generally choose one based on a brief synopsis of what it is about. I also have a few trusted friends whose recommendations I trust.
Movies? It is just the luck of the draw.  

 4. How important is the title or picture on the cover of a book?  
I could not care less about the cover or title unless it has pictures typical of romance novels. I do not read those at all.
 How much importance do you place on a movie because of the actors who are in it?
None, though there are some very talented actors I like to see in spectacular performances. I have seen unknown actors who are stellar. Fine talent is just fine talent!



13 comments:

  1. I agree with you that most books are better than the movies. I have neither read nor seen Forest Gump, and will take your word for it that it is the exception which proves the rule. I don't often watch movies anyway and refuse to even attempt those made of books I love.
    And a big YES to A Confederacy of Dunces.
    The book character I would most like to meet is the Entwives. They have no real appearance in Lord of the Rings and them and their fate has haunted me since I first read about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what is best about an original screenplay. Nothing is left out that we are aware of.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree about (most) books being better than the movies. Besides, one of my favorite daydreams is mentally casting the characters. Hollywood's not gotten it right, yet. (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentally cast them all the time. I keep being pleased that every time Confederacy of Dunces is set to go into production, something happens and it shuts down.

      Delete
  3. I almost chose Ignatius from a "Confederacy of Dunces" when I answered this question. I wouldn't say I admired him, but he is an remarkable character in so many ways. I was living in New Orleans at the time that I first read the book which brought a whole new dimension to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book they year it was published and try to read it every year. I think the admiration is for how good the character was written. Of course now, what was scandalous then, is everyday ordinary.

      Delete
  4. Another song from my childhood! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first song I thought about when I read the questions.

      Delete
  5. I have never read _A Confederacy of Dunces_ -- really must. Everyone I know who's read it likes it, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to add Mr. Rogers to my answer for question 1. He was a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very behind on my reading list-and if I wasn't in a book club, I'd not leave enough time at all to read. I like the question about relating to a character-I'll need to think on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's unusual for a film to actually be better than the book isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised about the Forest Gump book. I had to look up Andy Dufresne. Didn't realize that was Tim Robbins name in the movie. Yes he was great! I read romance novels but do not want any with the sexual pictures on the front.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.