Translate

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Joys Are Still Around

Now week 11 is all said and done and it is time to move on to a brand new week. This week was neither  good nor bad here. I wish I could say that for the rest of the world. I hope when it is New Year's Eve and I am reading all of these again, I will read about some halt to all of this. Wishing and hoping!

I am really taking liberties with my song choice this week. I have never heard any songs about the Ides of March or Caesar's demise. Instead I am choosing a song by the group The Ides Of March.


 Saturday: As usual we woke and had coffee together while TheHub ate breakfast. Not so usual was the smattering of snow on the ground. it melted quickly but was pretty for an hour of so. Now I am done with winter weather until late December '22. 
We had some running around to do before theAlabama softball game started. After a bit of ball game watching, we switched over  to Mrs. Maisel and now we have finished the fourth season. I enjoyed it and am glad to be done. TheHub and I agreed we will not start any new series for a while. Instead of watching a show on TV after dinner each evening we will both spend 30 minutes in spaces of our choosing doing some decluttering. If we want to watch something afterward it will be fine, but we will be picky about what we watch.

Sunday: The day was pretty but still on the cooler side. We watched a few basketball games ("We" watched,  but one of use read while pretending to watch.) then watched the bracket show to see what teams were selected and where they will go. I don't care about  basketball until it get to March Madness,  then I really do like it.
I had a phone call from Pip and we were talking about a birthday party she was going to. When I asked her if she was excited to be going, she told me yes but she was really excited about June. That is when they are coming here and this grandma's heart just about melted when she said that.
Later Sunday night we watched "Billions". I had talked with Son 3 in the morning and he told me Toney, his friend who was cast in the show, came by their place and told them the entire story arch. Son3 told me I had better be nice to him or he will spill the beans about what is supposed to happen for the rest of this season and the next.

Monday: I stayed home and worked all day. It was not a particular joy but I guess there is joy in getting some things done. One task I am doing is a complete inventory of our foods. I have an overstocked pantry, and freezer that is filled to the brim. While I was doing the pantry inventory I found a few things that need to be used as quickly as I can use them.
Now that we are on DST it was still daylight when TheHub came home, so we sat on the screened porch and for drinks and conversation. It was not cold out but it was windy and did require a light jacket. While we were talking we saw some movement and a little head peeking out from under Son3's old playhouse. Our friendly backyard groundhog made his first extended appearance, so I am guessing spring is officially here.

Tuesday: This was one of my favorite days of the year. My sister hates March and especially hates The Ides. Because I am such a sweet sister, I call her the first thing in the morning every March 15, lower my voice and slowly say, "Beware The Ides of March".  Then I hang up and wait for her to call me back, laughing. Since I have been doing this since we were in our 20's, she knows it is coming and it should not be funny but it makes us laugh every year. I thought about "forgetting" and then calling her later in the afternoon, but then thought why alter a perfectly fun tradition?
I talked to Sluggy which always brightens my day. I do love laughing with her.
Tuesday night we went to a fundraiser dinner for American Baseball Foundation. The name is a little deceiving because it functions like a 6 1/2 hour summer day camp teaching sports, and strengthening reading and math skills. The primary objective is to give a leg up to kids who need a little boost. We are happy to be able to support it.

Wednesday: I spent part of the day with my head in the pantry  organizing and inventorying our stash. We have a lot more than I thought and I found things I had completely forgotten about in the process. Other than doing that, laundry and a little vacuuming I did some reading. My book had to be returned Friday and I had barely begun reading it. The bad thing about borrowing a digital book from the library is that it will disappear whether you have finished or not. There are no late fees and if there is a waiting list you cannot renew. I knew there were two people waiting so I had to read quickly.

Thursday: I was feeling like the most unpopular person on the planet. I had called my sister in the morning, and my home phone had rung once (yep I wish I had not answered that call) but my cell was mysteriously silent. I had taken it out of my back pocket to grab my credit card when I bought groceries, but only looked at the back of the phone since my cards lives in a pocket attached to the back cover. I did not realize until 11 at night that my phone had been on silent mode since the banquet Tuesday night. I had missed a few calls and messages. 
"Hi, my name is Anne, and I'm a dumb ass".

Friday: I woke to storms and decided it would be a great morning to stay in bed and read. I finished my books, got up and dressed for the day, then returned calls I had missed. I did talk briefly with Sluggy as she and her beloved husband motored down the highway headed for Louisiana. 
TheHub came home early and we watched Notre Dame beat Alabama in the NCAA Tournament. Tomorrow I will be rooting for St Peter's. I love when an underdog upsets a highly ranked team. (Though Notre Dame beat Alabama, they were not highly seeded.)
And the cherry on top? I got to talk to Pip who was on her way to band practice. She is the vocalist for the band, "The Rocking Corgis," (a kid band) and really loves it.

And now I begin week 12. Can you believe time is speeding by so fast.
Go and look for your joys, however small. They are always out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne


21 comments:

  1. I almost look forward to a good rain storm. Staying in bed reading and washing away the dirt everywhere would be wonderful.I too hope when we get to the new year, so much is less dreadful in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice to just prop up in the bed and read while it stormed. The only thing better would have been to have my imaginary butler bring me coffee in bed.

      Delete
  2. Great post. I hope you're fairing well even though the world is a little crazy. It's good you're taking the time to declutter instead of watching TV. I have gotten hooked on so many new series and I must do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV (streaming series) has been our entertainment for two years now and it is a very tempting mistress. Unplugging for 30 minutes has been a really good thing for us to do.

      Delete
  3. I like reading your joys. How sweet of Pip to tell you she is looking forward to June! I did not know what Ides of March was and looked it up and learned something new. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister hates March with a vengeance, so of course it is my duty on her least favorite of all the March days to call and harass her in a sisterly way. I have done it for so many years, I honestly don't remember when I first started. I know we were in our 20's though, so it has been a long time!

      Delete
  4. Any week with at least two phone conversations with your granddaughter has to be a joyful one! I did a pantry inventory, the other day, and I think I am OK for the most part - there is a grocery workers strike on the horizon (we shall find out, next week), so it's good to have a full pantry, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think we could eat for 5 months between the pantry, "the stash" (cabinet in the laundry room) and the freezer.

      Delete
  5. Oh, if only our snow would disappear as quickly as yours. Though I suppose I'd have to deal with high temps in the summer and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't make me happy either. I'll stick with what I have and know.

    I haven't watched any of the basketball, and probably won't. Fortunately there is curling to be viewed so I'm a happy camper.

    Enjoy your spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summers can be brutal sometimes, but you adapt by wearing light colored cotton clothes and staying in the a/c as much as possible. I honestly think bugs are a bigger issue than the heat! We have a lot of flying critters here!

      Delete
  6. Yikes, my own book is due next Wednesday so I need to get a move on. Love the idea of Pip fronting a kid band -- thinking the Partridge family. June will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the speed that March arrived, I am pretty sure I will only have time to change the sheets on the bed before June gets here!

      Delete
  7. Love the brass in the Ides of March song. I like you decluttering goal. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Or at least that's what they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am partial to brass instruments.
      So far I am not seeing any real results from decluttering except for the donation boxes I have in various rooms of the house.

      Delete
  8. I think it's a great idea to have a "no TV" rule until you've done 30 minutes of decluttering. Goodness knows I get more done if I don't turn my computer on! I'm almost done with the 4th series of Mrs Maisel too and I guess I would give it 7/10 as I'm not finding her that funny. I do, however, LOVE her dad (oh, and the beautiful clothes)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly my favorite characters on the show are Abe and Susie. In spite of it focusing on Midge, the show is truly an ensemble cast. I find the humor more in the asides from the supporting cast.
      The costume designer does an incredible job!

      Delete
  9. I'm on a mission to use up any frozen leftovers and older protein so finished the borscht and roasted a ham. I'm thinking pies/tarts to use up the saskatoons. Managed to use the pureed pumpkin in cheese sauce and soup. The first quarter of the year is almost in the books; I'm always amazed at how quickly time passes. Boredom is not in my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I had to look up Saskatoons. They are obviously not grown here and I had never heard fo them before. Now I have something new to put on my "try before I die" list.
      I need to have a dinner party for 200 to use everything in the freezer!

      Delete
  10. We got that Saturday snow here last week too. I stayed home and out of it. LOL Bailey likes the Mrs. Kaiser show. I’ve tried to watch it, but didn’t get into it. I need to try, try again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A brother-in-law born on Ides of March...beware is a perfect word. I remember that song but never knew the band was The Ides Of March.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.