Translate

Friday, March 4, 2022

Winner Dinner

After dropping the ball for Fat Tuesday, I had to got back quickly into the keto lifestyle. But, and there is always a big but, I wanted something really flavorful. (And easy, did I mention easy?) I know the meal I chose was pushing my luck because THeHub only likes to eat soup when the temps are pretty cool and spring has sprung with a vengeance (and pollen).

Creamy Taco Soup (This is more of a "how to" than a real recipe because I did not measure anything. All the spices are just estimates of what I used)

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 pound ground chuck
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium bell pepper chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon powered cilantro
salt to taste
1 can Rotel tomatoes
cream cheese (I used about 6 ounces, but could have used 4 and it would have been fine)
unsalted beef broth (what I use because I am not a big salt fan, if you like salt use salted)
1 tablespoon lime juice (fresh would have been better but I only had a bottle of key lime juice)
couple of shakes of hot sauce (optional)

To the oil in the bottom of a soup pot, add the ground beef onions, garlic and bell pepper. Cook stirring continually until the beef is lightly browned and the veggies are soft. Drain any grease from the pan and add the spices. When they are well mixed add the Rotel tomatoes and the cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese melts, then add the beef broth. I used less than the full quart, probably about 3/4 of the carton and added a little water just because I did not want it to taste "beefy". Simmer on low for about 15 minutes. Before serving stir in the lime and hot sauce. I garnished mine with a few grape tomatoes, a few slices of a mini avocado, and a few shreds of cheese. TheHub had his over saffron rice which made it a very filling dish for him.

This was not a particularly pretty soup but it was delicious and I will make it again, but it will probably be sometime next fall! You know, it one of those outdoor temperature things to appease those who can only eat soup if it is cool,





11 comments:

  1. I like soups all year round, but I understand how some only like them when the weather is cooler. This one looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if we eat hot foods year round, soup should be just another hot food we eat. TheHub does not agree.

      Delete
  2. Like your Hub, I'm totally a seasonal eater. Yet, there's nothing I don't like about the sound of this recipe; Rotel and unsalted beef broth are staples in my kitchen. This photo is literally making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not pretty but it was really tasty. I make homemade chorizo occasionally and I think it would be great in it

      Delete
  3. I make a taco casserole in the crock pot, nothing like this, but it ends up as taco soup. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! I will have to try it when my daughter is not down here - she doesn't like cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though you can't taste the cream cheese I would not make it for someone who does not like the stuff!

      Delete
  5. I might heat up a bowl for myself for lunch, can or frozen in hot weather, but likely not make much soup between mid May and late September. Though if course, we've had some bitter cold memorial day weekends that soup would be great. Your recipe would be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soup so I eat it all year, just not for dinner when THeHub is eating.

      Delete
  6. That sounds delicious. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.