Translate

Monday, March 7, 2022

Planning with Gratitude

And we have now concluded another week of eating. After reading and seeing the news reports of what the folks in The Ukraine are going through, I am not going to complain about our meals, lack of following a plan, or what we actually ate. Instead I  give extreme thanks for my overstocked freezer and pantry, and the ability to rustle up dinner free from worry..


This was planned for last week:
Pancakes, sausage, baked apples
Steak, baked potato, tossed salad
Grilled tuna, rice pilaf, asparagus
Greek chicken, saffron rice, broccoli
Tossed salad, sandwich or soup
Cauliflower au gratin, tomato onion and cucumber salad, pickled okra
Take out

And this is what we really ate:
Monday: It was a beautiful night which just screamed "Cook on the grill" 
Steak, baked potato, spring green salad

Tuesday: Keto? Now way. It was Fat Tuesday!
Pancakes, bacon

Wednesday:  I had planned a fish meal for the first day of Lent. Since it was so gorgoeoiu  out, I cooked it on the grill.
Tuna steaks, rice pilaf or cauliflower rice pilaf, asparagus. mixed greens

Thursday: Pressed my luck and made soup on a warm night. It was still delicipous.
Creamy taco soup, tossed salad

Friday:It was another beautiful day/night and we decided to run grab a quick bite at a local sandwich shop. 
The Electric: wedge salad or humongous bologna sandwich

Saturday: We worked around the house then decided it would be great if DIL2 and Son2 could join us for what we thought would be an early dinner. We laughed because at 5:30 every place in Trussville was already packed. I guess the Saturday eat out crowd there eats much earlier than in our area
Ferrus Brew Pub : Another blooming wedge salad(only thing keto) or assorted Pub food offerings

Sunday: The week was still just drop dead gorgeous, so dinner was grilled again. Grilled Hamburger patty, hash browns (or none), asparagus, cucumber tomato and onion salad

Thinking about this upcoming week, I planned a menu that requires no shopping. even though I imagine I will go to ThePig to get the free (with additional purchase) carton of eggs and pack of shredded cheese.
1. Leftovers (TheHub has a dinner meeting so it will just be me)
2. Lasagne in a bowl (I have leftover spaghetti sauce to use), some green vegetable
3. Broccoli Cheese soup (we are supposed to have some cooler nights) salad or sandwich
4. Pho, mixed greens salad
5. Steak, tossed salad, new potatoes or roasted radishes
6. Grilled tuna, asparagus, rice pilaf, tossed salad
7. Take out

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!


24 comments:

  1. I love that movie-love the song. I too need to think every time those nagging inconveniences pop up, to remember they are nothing more than that. Not anything that impacts my life, my family and friends. I just do not understand the wanting to take over another country and make everyone's life miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your planning with gratitude! We all need more gratitude...
    My son came in complaining that he had to pay $44 to fill up his car. I told him to be thankful that he wasn't holed up in a subway with bombs overhead or being conscripted to fight. I think he got the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I need more so I am intensely trying to see every good thing, even in the mundane.

      Delete
  3. Nothing smoother than Bing Crosby's voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all are taking life in a different perspective right now. Be grateful, quit complaining about minor things. We have it so good here. ANd I have you! SO that is a big plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! I feel lucky to have you as a friend also! Let's go create some mischief somewhere!

      Delete
  5. Love your planning and adapting! I had a plan for Greek Chicken tonight, Rhett's favorite. He had a last minute invitation and after calling to make sure I would be ok, we decided to make that tomorrow. So for Steve, Flynn, ad myself tonight??? Maybe a big bowl of buttery pierogies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think flexibility is key in life. The times I have been rigid seems to make things worse instead of better. Why would I willingly do that to myself anymore!

      Delete
  6. Definitely with you on counting our blessings! My weekly menu plan turned into one huge leftovers feast, but, that was fine with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine with leftovers though I am trying to cook just enough for one meal so things will not be wasted.

      Delete
  7. I love that you plan your meals, but then reality hits and well we still eat well but not quite what was planned. Same here often. Yes we need to be very grateful. Thanks for the reminder.So now we have Meat free Monday, and Fat Tuesday, why not? Take care, nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us Fat Tuesday was just a Lenten thing. No more fat delicious things until Easter!

      Delete
  8. I’m with you, grateful for all we have no matter what. Your menu sounds so good with all of the grilling out. We grilled hamburgers last night. I’m loving for this grilling weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was loving the grilling weather, but I understand we are in for a change. It seems like winter always challenges with one last hurrah.

      Delete
  9. Who can keep away the thoughts of families in fear, houses bombed, trying to flee in freezing weather with people shooting at you, food scarce, and sights of destruction all around? Yes we are lucky, and we need to support the so-far peaceful efforts to prevent the disaster from spreading, as the Russians and their leader will stop at nothing. Your thoughts of gratitude are perfect.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope and pray for some sort of peaceful resolution.

      Delete
  10. Oh I wish good weather comes our way too. Although I cannot be grilling outside since, living at an apartment complex has certain rules, I would like to be able to enjoy some meals on my balcony that I have cleaned so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grilling is on pause as we have one last week that thinks it wants to resume winter.

      Delete
  11. The situation in Ukraine is so depressing. And in a sense, so 19th century. One would think we (as a group of people) would grow up, but I guess not. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things I would usually gripe about are so mundane that they are not even worth thinking about after watching the news and seeing what life could be like.

      Delete
  12. That sounds like a great week's menu. Can I come over? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.