Translate

Saturday, March 26, 2022

Not What I Thought Would Happen

Week 12 came and went. I had a lot of plans for the week, but serious binge reading got in my way.  Add a case of lazy into the mix and you get a pretty good view of what I did. I have had better weeks in terms of production, but I am not sure I enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed this past week.



 Saturday: It was a wonderful day. We woke and had breakfast (or just coffee) then rode around a bit doing errands. It was a gorgeous day to be out running around. We came home, read a bit, and had surprise visitors. Son2 and DIL2 came over to drop some things off here and stayed for some coffee and conversation. 
After they left we dressed for the evening and went to hear Alfredo Rodriguez & Pedrito Martinez. If you ever get the opportunity to see them, by all means go. Rodriguez is an amazingly skilled pianist with Martinez on a Cuban percussion set. Individually they would be wonderful, but together they are an almost magical duo combining traditional Afro Cuban sounds with a touch of classical sounds.   

        


Sunday: We had a lazier day and were in March Madness mode. Even though Alabama did not make it through the first round, we still pick teams to be for and love watching it. March is the only time I care about or watch college basketball, though I will pretend to watch Alabama games with TheHub while I read. After Auburn lost, I decided I would have to be for St.Peter's and Arkansas for the rest of the tournament. I guess I will have to see how it plays out during the week.

Monday: Even though ThePig had their weekly special of 10 bucks off after spending 30, I did not need 30 dollars worth of anything, so I passed. Plus the Monday special was a box of Cheese-its and we didn't need or want those.  So instead of taking the day and working hard  to get ready for guests coming next week, I read.

Tuesday: If it is a random day of the week in Alabama and it is raining hard there must be some unwritten law that we need to have a tornado watch or warning. Tuesday was one of those days with thunderstorms, winds, rain, and possible tornados. We did at least turn the tv onto a local station to watch the storm's progression, and thankfully as usual, the storms passed without major damage to the state and none here at my house.

Wednesday: I finally (after 2 years) was able to revisit my happy place. I went to Independence Place to volunteer some time seeing all of the Wednesday participants and painting wildebeest masks for a play they will be doing next winter. There are no words to explain how happy I was to be there and see them. Hopefully situations (That "C" word that everyone is tired of talking about) will allow me to go weekly again.
TheHub and I were planning to go to see Alabama's softball team play here in town, but he had a late meeting that ran over. Instead, we just went out to eat at our new favorite local hangout.

Thursday: Another day of lots of reading, another day of little (OK, virtually no) cleaning. And I still have houseguests coming Tuesday. You would think I would get off my tail and get the house ready, or at least get the sheets changed and the bathroom cleaned. Procrastination is strong in this one! But I do love to read!
Oh , and officially, The Great Pollination is in full force. Yellow is the first color I see when I look at the deck, porch, or my car.
We watched a couple of basketball games and got to see Arkansas knock off Gonzaga. So one of the teams I was routing for won.

Friday: Once again I found so much to do (read) instead of cleaning the house for company. My only hope is that they have vision issues and can't see all the crap. 
Did I mention how much I love the Libby app and downloadable library books? 
TheHub came home and we decided date night was stopping by Publix to pick up a rotisserie chicken to have for dinner. Well we grabbed a chicken along with a ton of groceries. We are a fun couple aren't we?
We got home in time to watch St.Peter's win, and to also listen to the last 2 innings of Alabama's softball game. 
It was a good day, and now I have a ton of housework facing me Saturday, or Sunday, possibly Monday or Tuesday morning at the very latest! 

Have a great week and be sure to look for those small joys. They are always out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne

18 comments:

  1. I 💬 nk a week invested in reading for fun is a joy and we'll use if time. We're now vested in Creighton women's, on to the elite 8. St Peter is fun to watch and hope they keep going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Creighton. I hope your former player really does enjoy this!

      Delete
  2. Love Spanky & Our Gang! Those were Good Days.
    Even being retired, I get the most accomplished at the 11th hour before company arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This is the way!" Sorry I couldn't resist after your "procrastination is strong in this one." :)
    Sounds like an enjoyable week. I'm glad you were able to go to Independence Place again. I know they loved having you back.
    Hope you have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! Glad someone caught what I was doing!
      I loved walking in and having so many people hug me!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Alabama was spared by that storm. It must be scary (you can tell I'm not really used to them, can't you). And I'm also glad you finally got to go back to your happy place. Gosh, two years is a long time to be away, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest we have so many tornado watches and warnings that unless I see things starting to blow sidewise I don't go to the basement. The sirens sound any time a tornado is sighted in my county, but it covers a huge area and most of the time they are nowhere near me.
      Yes two years is a long time, but so many of the participants have some compromise issues that they have kept volunteers at an arms length for a bit. Even when they were finally allowing them, first Delta and then the Omicron variant hit so I kept away.

      Delete
  5. How WONDERFUL that you could volunteer again. I soooo hope that it can become a regular part of your routine again. That is one very, very big joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What books have caught your eye? I just finished Count The Ways by Joyce Maynard and loved it. At work I take advantage of a few minutes here and there to read on my kindle.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley Tucci's "Taste". It took about 3 months to get it, but it was well worth the wait.
      "Next Year in Havana" So-so but a bit too formulaic for me.
      "The Book of Lost Names" I enjoyed this one
      "The Paper Bracelet" I enjoyed it but it dealt with some unpleasant things
      "The Family Across the Street" Thriller that was pretty good
      "The Floating Feldmans" Mindless entertainment
      "A Carnival of Snackery" A self indulgent waste of time
      "F*ck, I'll Start Tomorrow" Irreverent but kind of funny
      "The Family Across the Street" Thriller that was pretty decent for a thriller
      "I left My Homework in the Hamptons" Cute memoir
      "Surviving the Flood" Different take on Noah and the flood
      "The Book of Lost Names" I really did like this one
      Currently reading "The Latinist"
      Next up "Brown Girls

      Delete
  7. So happy to hear you were able to get out to your happy place. As the previous comment suggests, please let us know what you are reading. I've watched some programs based on your viewing list so I figure your reading list must be good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the reply to Janie. I listed the last couple of months reading there
      I read just about everything under the sun, both good and bad!

      Delete
  8. I curious like Janie. What books have captured your attention this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottom two books are the ones I am reading, or will read in the next few days. I still have about 4 on hold that I am itching to read.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the list. Always looking for recommendations.

      Delete
  9. Glad you were able to do some volunteering at your happy place! I know you've missed that. Hope you get the fresh sheets on the bed and give the toilet a scrub this weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.