Translate

Sunday, January 8, 2023

And So It Begins__Again

Now we end the first full week of 2023, and, as usual I am listing my daily joys. Some are small, some seem small to others but they are huge joys to me, and others thrill me from the inside out.





Sunday: New Year's Day started with a bang. The day was drop dead gorgeous with really warm (overly warm) temperatures. Quite a change from the frigid week before. 
We woke and had breakfast together, which is unusual for us because I do not like to eat in the mornings. Sometimes I am a good sport and will cook for him then sit with TheHub and savor my coffee while he eats, but this time I actually put real food in my mouth. 
Now don't start thinking I 'm one of those who has a hot breakfast sitting on the table for him every morning. If I had 40 fingers I could count on them how many times a year I make his breakfast in a year. And that is most likely a generous estimate.
After we ate we read a little then dressed to return something I bought for him for Christmas that was the wrong size. Who knew Duluth Trading would be open on NYD? Oh yeah, TheHub did because he had phoned them NYE day to see if they would be opened then.
Publix near there was also opened, and we went in to see if they had any of the seasonal orange, cranberry, pecan bar cakes left. We would have bought them all, brought them home and frozen them. They were that delicious. Obviously others thought they were too, because we could find none. 
After that we came home, piddled around the house and had our traditional NYD meal. For the first time in years it was just the two of us, and I honestly don't think we had ever eaten it at our kitchen table before. Next year we need to move back to the dining room even if it is just us.
I have always heard the old wives tale that whatever you do on NYD will set the tone for the year. Please tell me this is not true. I cannot bear a year filled with shopping!

Monday: TheHub's office took Monday as their official New Years holiday, so he was off for the entire day. It was unusual for him because most of the time he would run in for a couple of hours in the early morning, just to get ahead of the next day's chaos. Maybe he is practicing for a potential retirement. I forgot to write Monday's joys as they happened and honestly forgot where we went, but after doing whatever it was, we wound up at a bbq joint for lunch.
I have noticed a pattern though. TheHub has this "need" to get in the car and go somewhere, anywhere actually, and is very discontent to just do things around the house. Once he decides when he will retire, I am going to start planning day trips for us to satisfy his need to be out and about. Plus I see a lot of golf in his future. Lots and lots of golf!

Tuesday: My big and gigantic joy was hearing that My Beloved Cousin S, actually stood up. She has been in the hospital for over 40 days and has not been out of the bed for 37 days. She has been taking one step forward and two steps backward until Tuesday and forward progress seemed to have actually begun.

Wednesday: S not only got out of her bed, but she managed to do it unassisted. I am beyond thankful  and overjoyed for that!

Thursday: I was thrilled to be back volunteering at Independence Place. It is my happy place. 

Friday: We had some banking business to take care of, including adding Son2 to the deposit box. My Beloved Sister and I keep all of Mom's good jewelry there along with several other important papers we need occasionally. We had talked about adding Son2 just in case we ever need to access it and neither of us can get to it. After we finished there we decided to go eat at TGS's new favorite restaurant, rated his favorite because they have delicious fries. Standards!
My cousin, S walked 3 different times Friday afternoon!!!

Saturday: TheHub and I had a lazy day at home. I read, and he messed with several devices, before we decided to binge the last part of Jack Ryan. 
A second and major joy was hearing that My Beloved Cousin S finally was moved to a rehab facility. I am over the moon happy for her progress.

I hope you all find your joys everyday. They are always there if you just look for them.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne





29 comments:

  1. So glad that your cousin is making progress, and I hope she will do well in rehab.
    I think the retirement day trips sound like a great idea. Do you like playing golf too?
    Ugh, I hope that the rest of the year won't be like the first week of 2023.. All 4 of us have covid now, we have been dropping like flies every two days. We had avoided it for 3 years, but I guess this strain is more contagious, but at least we are vaccinated and boosted so hopefully it won't get too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only played golf one time in my life and shot a 37 on the first hole. Definitely not my game.
      Hope you and your family feel better soon.

      Delete
  2. Yay for your cousin!!! So wonderful!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled. We are just a few months apart in age and grew up staying with each other almost every other weekend until we were teens.

      Delete
  3. That's wonderful your cousin is making such progress. I know that has to really bring joy. I'm with you and do not care much for shopping. Hope the coming week brings you many joys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited over her progress. I kept saying all I wanted for Christmas was for her to improve.

      Delete
  4. Good for your cousin. Was she incapacitated by illness or had surgery or something? Forty days not walking is a long time. I was never a get up in the morning and fix husband breakfast person because he would not get up and let it get cold. So, I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My former FIL always had to find an excuse to drive out somewhere - usually it was "just going to pop down to see mom"! Well he did go see grandma but he always came back chewing on gum because he hadn't yet kicked the smoking habit - not that he fooled anyone, of course. And I'm delighted to hear your cousin is making such good progress. That's a great start to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting for your cousin!!

    My dad is the same way. He picked up playing the guitar in retirement, which is something he does a lot, and also can be social (a bunch of friends getting together, playing). Drives my mom batty, but they have a basement he goes to for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see some new hobbies developing. I still think he will "need" to go somewhere every day.

      Delete
  7. That is wonderful news about your cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The news about your cousin S is a huge joy. I am so happy for her, and for everyone who loves her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is too! Her immediate family is worn out since she needed someone with her 24/7. We filled in as we were able to, but could not help at all when she was in the ICU.

      Delete
  9. It's so wonderful to hear that your cousin S is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee for your cousin's progress! I think my husband has standards not unlike your TGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has their standard for what constitutes the perfect place. For TGS it is the fries, and I will admit they are nearly perfect. Even so this is where near my favorite restaurant.

      Delete
  11. Cousin S on the road to recovery is a joy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some wonderful joys for the first week of the year! Glad to hear that your cousin is recovering well. Maybe your husband might find some voluntary work when he's retired that will give him a reason so go somewhere on a daily basis, something like delivering meals to those who are house-bound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe TheHub will do some freelance consulting after he retires, at least that is his plan. I do not see him ever completely and totally hanging out and playing golf.

      Delete
  13. The joy of S improving has to be celebrated. I'm happy for her and those that love her. I guess our year is set for lot's of walks, football (or other sports) and movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to be doing a lot of similar things this year. As he moves closer toward retiring we are living a few months really close to the bone, just to see how it works for us and to see what lifestyle adjustments we will need to make

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.