Translate

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Week 3 Is In The Books

The third full week of 2023 has passed and the fourth week has begun. As I look at the week and see the promise of a new beginning, for some of my fellow bloggers the week is filled with dread and uncertainty. I know there is not one of us with any guarantees, but as I write this my life is still status quo. I do intend to be more present in the lives of the people I love most, either in person or via whatever device connects us most easily.
And I will continue to look for and celebrate the joys, large and small, I find along the way each and every day.



Sunday: After church TheHub and I went shopping for him. He needed a few new dress shirts. (Does this sound like someone who is thinking about retirement any time soon?) After shop[ing we drove to Son2's house and picked up Son2, DIL2 and TGS. We rode  to their potential new house (pending inspections) and got to go through it. It is a quirky, but adorable home and if they get it, will be a fabulous place for them.

Monday: I was able to go to Independence Place and spent the day painting masks and watching their play rehearsal. It is my most favorite happy place.

Tuesday: I did a lot of laundry which is not joyous until it is all done, folded and put away

Wednesday: Felt kind of icky all day, but not bad enough that I could not spend the day reading!

Thursday: I spent the entire day at Independence Place, AKA my happy place. My Beloved Sister came out there to help with the mask painting. We are now finished with everything except the rhino's body and the giraffe's neck. 
TheHub and I got home close to the same time and when he suggested we go out to eat, I did not object.

Friday: I decided it was time for me to put on my big girl pants and do something with the sourdough starter I had been feeding all week. I went a little renegade and measured using U.S. measures rather than a digital scale and grams. I started thinking sourdough was around way before there were standard measures much less digital scales. I found a couple for recipes online for something that would not be qualified as artisanal, and by combining the two wound up with two really nice loaves. 
TheHub and I decided to stay at home Friday night. He had a hectic week at work and we only had 5 more episodes of 1883, so we ate dinner then watched 2 of them. It was a perfect Friday night.

Saturday: The day was gorgeous when we woke, so after a cup of coffee and bowl of grits for TheHub we got ready to do a little running around . 
Since I got the car back from the repair ship it has felt a little "wobbly" when I drove it, plus the oil change indicator was blinking as well as the low battery warning.  I was so outdone with the length of time the dealerships body shop  held my car captive took to repair the minuscule damage to the rear fender, that I was not about to take it back to them for service.
Instead we ran by Express Oil while we were out. They checked everything, changed the oil, then noticed a couple of the lug nuts were missing from the tire next to the damaged fender. I guess it would have been asking too much for the body shop to actually put the tire back on correctly once they did the body repair. My huge joy was that the young man helping us found it before I was driving down the interstate and lost a tire. (We did head back to the Honda dealership and had them put them back on immediately. They were truly sorry it happened?!?)
We got back home before the rains started and settled in for an episode of 1883 before watching Bama basketball followed by the Eagles/Giants football game.

So that ends the joys I had this past week. They were small but I do not live a large and terribly exciting life.
Look for your joys that are always around.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne


34 comments:

  1. I share your perspective about living in the moment, and spending time with those we care about. So devastated to hear about SAM's husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had shops leave off important pieces of my car, too. It is so annoying! At least you found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was irritated it happened but thrilled the guy at Express Oil found it.

      Delete
  3. It seems like car places either leave a part off or forget a tool inside. Let’s just say that I don’t want them to ever be my surgeon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, this is Live and Learn.

      Delete
    2. Nope I don't want them working on my personal parts at all!

      Delete
  4. Is it so sad to hear about Sam’s sudden loss of her husband, as well as Kim’s loss of her husband, and Hiligene’s loss of her husband. Late December/January has been just awful. Prayers for all. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT? How did I miss this? Please, someone, tell me what happened. 😰

      Delete
    2. I have no idea about the particulars, just that Sam lost her husband last week.

      Delete
    3. This all has been weighing heavy in my mind. All three ladies losing husbands suddenly and unexpectedly in the last month. It's just devastating.

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Anne - I am just heartbroken for Hilogene, Kim & now Sam. Life is so unfair. Wish there were some way we could support them - but I guess for now our prayers will have to suffice.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite tunes ... it's yesterday once more. Thanks for this reminder to live each day like it's our last. It could be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big hooray and many thanks to Express Oil. And the joys are indeed there, even on bad days/weeks. Finding them and/or beauty is a habit I am glad to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a habit I cultivated rather than being an innate part of my personality, but life is so much better for me when I actively seek out the best things daily.

      Delete
  7. I once had a tire repair place use a faulty ratchet to put one of my tires on and it was wobbly as all heck the second I got into it, so they used the good ratchet to get it on properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad the guy at Express Oil noticed and told us about it.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to hear that yet another of your blogger friends has lost her husband. I haven't read her blog but my condolences to her.

    I'm glad you found some lovely joys this week. My joys this week have been having my daughter home, gardening, blogging, and chatting with friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know having your daughter at home is the best joy there could be.

      Delete
  9. I learned about Sam's loss on your blog. Thank you for the considerate way in which you announced it. My heart is breaking for her. While it may seem counterintuitive (?) callous (?) I think in light of news like that, we SHOULD remember to celebrate our joys. I hope that Sam will soon find her way to seeing her own joy. Her blog became part of my daily routine. As a blogger who has formed connections with other bloggers, I'm sure you can understand why I found a connection with her through hers. Having said that, I get the sense that when the fog lifts, Sam will be the first one to tell us to make sure we celebrate our joys, big and small, and celebrate for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stunned, then heartbroken for her when I found out. But I also agree, news like this is a true reminder to celebrate our days.

      Delete
  10. Lordy that tyre situation was dangerous! I was putting gas in one time when a car went round the traffic island next to the petrol station and the entire wheel came off! Apart from being dangerous to the driver, that flying wheel was also extremely dangerous. Thankfully it just slammed into a wall and missed everyone at the petrol station!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not thrilled that they had "forgotten" to replace all the lug nuts, but thrilled the service guy found it before something unforeseen happened.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you had a nice week. Scary about the tire though. This all has been a huge reminder to enjoy every moment we have with the people we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a true reminder to take advantage of the moments we have.

      Delete
  12. Someone at the dealership is likely getting quite the scolding. At the tire shop near me, one person is responsible to replace the tire, another checks his/her work. Perhaps that didn't happen and thankfully the other shop paid more attention than the first.
    I'm stunned by the news of another loss. While I haven't read SAM's blog for awhile, I recall she and her husband were planning for retirement in a few years. My heart goes out to her and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know Sam, but I'm sorry for her loss. You really do have to find your joy in life, whether large or small doesn't matter. Your joy is yours and it's important.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's joy is important__and needs to be celebrated.

      Delete
  14. i don't usually comment but I love reading your joys. I am glad you find time to note them, as we often don't as life gets busy. I wish there was a way to send more than just love to Sam and her family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At either the end of each day or the morning after I reflect on the day and what gave me joy. I keep this list for me and reread it on New Years Eve day to remind myself that in spite of all the negatives there are still many positives found daily.
      I agree with your thoughts about Sam and her family.

      Delete
  15. Also not much of a commenter, but I have read your blog and SAM's for years. Just started reading Kim's. So heartbreaking. I hope that all 3 individuals (including Hilogene who does not appear to blog) are able to get lots of support from family and friends. A dear friend of ours lost her husband suddenly and much too young-and the support of those around her helped her make it through some incredibly tough days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loss, particularly when it is sudden and too young is so hard for the family.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.