Translate

Monday, January 2, 2023

Planned Non-Plan

I am doing something different this month. My plan is to do the bare minimum grocery shopping, and use what I have in the freezer and pantry. I will buy produce and dairy as needed, and possibly bread, though we eat very little sliced bread. However, and this is a big however, if the stores have stock up prices on proteins I will buy and freeze them, but they will not be used as part of my month's meals. Sorry but I am not willing to miss a really good potential bargain. 
So I am not going to plan the meals in advance. Instead I will decide daily what we are having based on what I remember to thaw and what produce is lingering in the refrigerator. My meal posts for the month will be what we ate, and where the food preps were (freezer, pantry, etc.)
Going into this month I have a full freezer, a well stocked pantry, and some fresh veggies and fruits (but not a lot). There are a couple of items I think will run out before the month is over, but I am not going to buy them unless it is absolutely necessary. 
Eggs are a concern, but I will use flax "eggs" for baking and save the real ones for other uses. I think I have about 15 eggs right now.
About the only other thing I am really worried about running out of is coffee. I might have to reduce my morning 3 cups of coffee to just 2 to make the coffee I have on hand last till the end of the month. That is going to be hard for me!




This was planned for the past week:
1. Brunch leftovers
2. Soup and salad
3. Chili, coleslaw, cornbread
4. Taco soup, salad
5. Out to eat
6, Out to eat
7. Traditional New Year’s Day meal (Ham, black eyed peas, collard greens, cornbread) 

This happened:
Monday: Taco soup, crackers and cheese, cookies and candies leftover from Christmas
Tuesday: Out to eat at Seasons 52. TheHub had grilled redfish and broccolini, I had mushroom bisque and a salad.
Wednesday: Chili, coleslaw, cornbread
Thursday: Out to eat. TheHub and I both had the southwestern salads (yum)
Friday: Leftover breakfast casserole, green beans
Saturday: Football watching meal, frozen pizza (Not really good but also not bad)
Sunday: Traditional New Year's Day meal. Black eyed peas, collards, mac and cheese, ham

Going forward I have enough taco soup for 2 or 3 lunches, chili (enough for dinner one night) that was frozen, and black eyed peas and collards that were frozen for a future soup.

And now I am on day one of this food challenge and have no clue what we will be having. I guess I need to grab something from the freezer so it will thaw in time for dinner.

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or having no plan at all.

26 comments:

  1. Good luck on your non-plan. I don't blame you for not passing up good protein buys as they are few and far between. I am trying to only buy fresh produce, milk and protein this month. Basically, shop the perimeter of the store as much as possible, both because it is healthier for me and that will stop me from buying a lot of prepackaged crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly shop the perimeter of the store, but I do a ton of from scratch cooking.

      Delete
  2. I don't think our pantry and freezer are as well-stocked as yours, so we will be going to the grocery store this month. Our goal is to have less takeout. However, when everyone is tired and hungry, takeout wins most of the time. A plan is what is needed here. We shall see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well stocked and need to use my current inventory, but we are a threat to do take out or go out to eat as well.

      Delete
  3. I won't pass up cheap protein, either. Of course, what I won't be buying is just as important--no sweets or festive, over-priced goodies and foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to start eating down my freezers too as I just know some of that stuff is spoiled. I'm already eating some very "odd" combinations, so thank goodness I live alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately except for leftovers TheHub is not a picky eater, so odd combinations work just fine here.

      Delete
  5. Good luck. I'm trying to just make lists of options. With kids here, coming s d goings will dictate what's practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With everyone there the budget gets trumped by having fun and making everyone's favorites.

      Delete
  6. January is going to be a low spend here also. We have a stocked freezer and pantry so I'm only looking to buy fresh veggies, fruit and milk. Our friends chickens are still laying so we don't have to buy eggs yet. Good luck on your challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really should be no reason for me going to the store other than for produce, but I guess I will see how it plays out.

      Delete
  7. Taco soup sounds good as it’s perfect soup weather. I have four eggs left and I’m babying them to use when I absolutely need an egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on m making the eggs last as long as possible

      Delete
  8. What are flax eggs? I have plenty of eggs so stop by when you need them and I'll share!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 tbsp flaxmeal with 3 tbsp water in a small bowl
      Let stand about 15 minutes until it thickens. It works for baked items. I plan on making bread pudding and will use 1 real egg and 1 flax egg.

      Delete
  9. I like your plan and I should follow suit as I bought too much during the holidays and my fridges are FULL! Still, I would buy more lamb and beef if they are on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy a rack of lamb on sale right after Christmas because it was a really good deal.

      Delete
  10. Roll Tide Roll (sugar bowl)! I have a two years supply of dried beans and several months supply of rice so I am going to try to build meals around these items. Most of it is red beans, so red beans and rice, Louisiana style, is a definite yes! I always eat some form of greens. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't done any meal plans in several weeks! With daughter being home, we've indulged in quite a bit of eating take out food. The fridge and freezer are full, too! I am not planning to do a low spend January but, I don't anticipate needing to grocery shop for at least the first half of the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am not sure how the no-spend month is going to go since TheHub wanted to go to Publix today. I might have to exclude his recreational shopping, and not count it unless he picks up something I need. He mainly only buys bananas, veggie chips, and something sweet he wants for after dinner anyway.

      Delete
  12. Have a great year in 2023! I hope your plans and non-plans all work out the way you hope.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The non-plan will be the easiest to work out, since it is nonexistent to begin with!

      Delete
  13. Good luck with your challenge. It's always helpful to have one of those use up months to clean out your pantry. I think I need to do the same as it's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just very plainly overstocked and need to use a lot of it.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.