Translate

Monday, January 30, 2023

Going, Going___ Nowhere Near Gone

This has been my baking week. I was directly exposed to covid and kept away from everyone for most of the week. I did have one meeting I had to go to, but we maintained distance and I had no symptoms of covid. Other than that, all my errands were either at a drive through or the pick up option at a couple of stores. 
When I am upset or bored I bake, and I was plenty bored this past week. Throw in the fact that I had about 3 cups of sourdough discard and it meant I really had to do some serious baking to use it.  





Monday Meals
Breakfast: sourdough toast, coffee
Lunch: leftover chicken and stuffing, leftover tossed salad
Dinner: vesuvian* over sourdough bread, tossed salad, brownie a la mode, wine

Tuesday Meals
Breakfast: morning glory muffin, coffee
Lunch: leftover tossed salad, ranch dressing
Dinner: coq au vin, orzo pasta, chop salad, tea, brownie

Wednesday Meals
Breakfast: coffee
Lunch: cobb salad (Met TheHub for lunch before a meeting. We sat about 15 feet away from anyone else)
Dinner: corn on the cob 
Snack morning glory muffin

Thursday Meals
Breakfast: morning glory muffin, coffee
Lunch: vegetable soup
Dinner: tamale pie, green beans, coleslaw, tea
Snack; brownie

Friday Meals
Breakfast: coffee
Lunch: leftover coq au vin
Dinner: white chicken chili, cheese toast, pickled okra
Snack: pineapple upside down cake

Saturday Meals
Breakfast: coffee
Lunch: leftover tamale pie
Dinner: tuna steaks, coleslaw, biscuits
Snack: chocolate chip cookies

Sunday Meals:
Breakfast:coffee
Lunch:canned mushroom soup, oyster crackers
Dinner:leftover spaghetti meat sauce over angel hair pasta, tossed salad
Snack: Sourdough toast with mayhaw jelly

Auxiliary Preps (because I have a ton of starter discard from feeding the starter)
Brownies. . . good but a little too chocolaty
Morning glory muffins. . . good
Biscuits. . . they were just biscuits
Pineapple upside down cake (very small cake, truly good)
Discard chocolate chip cookies. . . cake textured and not terribly sweet but good enough.
1 loaf sourdough bread . . . just a nice tangy bread


Bought this week
Small vanilla Ice cream (Brownies__duh)
1 lemon
6 cartons mushrooms (on sale, stock up for dehydrating)
1 bag coleslaw 
2 bottles chili sauce (Aldi seasonal product so I bought 2 while they were still available)
1 dozen eggs
3 boxes protein bars*** (TheHub takes these to work. He bought them)
bananas** *(theHub's recreational shopping purchase)
small container cut watermelon ***(ditto)


Used this week 
From the freezer
Small pack cooked ground beef with onions
1 chicken breast
1 ear of corn
small pack (1 serving size) vegetable soup
small pack ground chuck
small pack green beans
2 servings white chicken chili
1 cup dehydrated pineapple slices**
2 tuna steaks
small pack shredded Monterey Jack cheese
leftover spaghetti meat sauce
1/2 bag corn niblets

From the refrigerator
butter
6 eggs
sourdough discard
leftover chicken and stuffing
leftover tossed salad
greek dressing (gone now)
ranch dressing (still about 1/2 bottle left)
french dressing (still a little left)
sour cream 
leftover tossed salad
John's slaw dressing
hot sauce
leftover coq au vin
angel hair pasta
parmesan cheese
cheddar cheese
monterey jack cheese



Produce
2 1/2 bell pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
6 radishes
lettuce
1 cucumber
8 carrots
1 apple
1 orange
3 onions
1/4 cauliflower
1 bunch scallions
bananas (I have no idea how many. I hate bananas and don't keep count of TheHub's total)
remaining cabbage
partial bag coleslaw mix
remaining cherry tomatoes
watermelon (1 small container)


From the pantry
bread
coffee
5 Earl Gray tea bags
3 lemon ginger tea bags
1 zevia Ginger Root Beer
2 cans La Croix 
1 diet Dr Pepper
flour
sugar
salt
pepper
vanilla 
cocoa 
chocolate chips (almost 1 bag)
envelope of brown gravy mix
olive oil
shredded coconut
walnuts
Armagnac
balsamic vinegar
baking powder
baking soda
dehydrated mushrooms
3/4 container chicken broth
quart tea bags
splenda
brown sugar
herbs and spices
mushroom sage olive oil
corn meal
1/4 huge jar sun dried tomatoes in olive oil ( I had no idea I had this. Using it as often as possible)
1/3 jar pickled okra (another pantry find I did not remember having)
1/2 cake mix
vegetable oil
brown sugar
honey
red wine vinegar
1 can green chilis


Weekly Wrap Up
By Tuesday I was out of regular coffee. I had several partial containers filled with flavored coffees, but I don't like them for my morning coffee. I also had a lot of decaf, which is pointless in the morning even though it tastes pretty much like regular coffee. Since I use a Keurig with refillable k cups for my morning coffee(s) the solution was to fill each cup partially with decaf and add ground espresso to it. Not perfect but it worked for taste and a caffeine kick.
Even though I do not need to go to the store I want to. No idea why, I just want to because I am bored looking at the same things. There is some weird dichotomy going on though, because the more restless I get using what we have on hand, the better tasting our meals have been. I guess I am trying a little harder to cook something different, or maybe the meals have been made with intent instead of just throwing something on the table.  I am not sure, but I know I am over any "thrill" I had initially by using some of our food inventory. I have 3 more days to complete this challenge. I know I will do it, because I have a stubborn streak in me that is about a mile long, but it does not mean I will quit griping about it.

Put in the freezer this week (bummer)
Morning glory muffins
biscuits
brownies


* Delicious ground chuck, veggie, and brown gravy concoction served over garlic bread, My Beloved Sister's creation. She is not a great cook and certainly not kitchen creative so I have to give her props when it is due. It really is good.

** Whenever Aldi has pineapple on sale I buy a couple of them. We eat part of one as fresh pineapple then I dehydrate the rest of it. I do keep it in a bag in the freezer. Most of the time I just grab a slice out of the bag and eat it as it. The result of dehydrating is is a chewy, intensely pineapple flavored treat, but this week I rehydrated it to use in pineapple upside cake. It worked perfectly. I can always tell if a treat is a success by whether or not if TheHub goes back for seconds. The cake was very successful!

***I am not counting TheHub's random purchases as me going off my challenge. He is an adult, has his own money, and can buy whatever he wants for himself. I am not about to tell him what he can or cannot do with it as long as it is not part of our daily meals. If he wants to have watermelon or protein bars for a snack, that is strictly his business. 
I do know he will be happy that I did this challenge before Super Bowl Week, so he can have all the junk associated with football watching.

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.



25 comments:

  1. Tommy hates bananas, too. That is okay because he never eats my last banana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only banana I might use is an overripe mushy one to make banana bread.

      Delete
  2. You are doing really well with your freezer/pantry challenge! By the way, if I am not mistaken, I think you can freeze your sourdough discards. Then, when you get your zucchini crop in, you can make sourdough zucchini bread to give as holiday gifts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great on your challenge!! I am starting to do a lot of dehydrating also. It just makes sense when you find a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the dehydrated mushrooms all of the time in cooking. 5 cartons of dehydrated mushrooms will fit in a quart mayo jar, which is where mine live in my pantry.

      Delete
  4. Your meals all look really good. Clearly I am not a bread baker, as I had to look up a discard! I'm still a little unsure of the difference from a starter; it looks like discard is just an unfed starter. So, why not feed it and get a starter? I'll have to investigate this further!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the discard is, is newly fed excess starter. It is just a matter of multiplying amounts as to why the discard is necessary. If you continue to feed all of it, by about a week starter would take over the kitchen and you would be floating on a yeasty goo.

      Delete
  5. I remember when I was trying to use up all of our food before a move across the country, I did some pretty creative cooking. When I thought there was nothing left, I still managed to pull together meals. Towards the end they were getting pretty strange, but I used most everything. That taught me that even when I think we have "nothing" in the pantry and fridge, we really do. It's just that there's nothing there I want to cook or eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am finding. What we are eating is not necessarily what we want, but it is all perfectly edible and some of the meals this past week were really good.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you didn't get covid. Oh my, you accomplished so much. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accomplished a lot in the kitchen. The rest of the house? Not so much.

      Delete
  7. You're still clearing out a lot of items. Using up things before you buy more is great. I think Monday's dinner should have been brownies and wine. You didn't need the rest of it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Nesco Snackmaster dehydrator. It is not one of the fancy ones. It is just a blower and 5 trays, about 12 inches in diameter, stores easily and does the job I need.
    BTW dehydrated watermelon is also fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good week to be in your house! Good job. And is there anything more comforting than a good chocolate brownie?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have thought about getting a dehydrator, should look on Amazon Marketplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from Amazon years ago. it is not the big fancy unit but it works well for my needs.

      Delete
  11. Interesting ideas for using up sourdough starter! I haven't progressed past pancakes. My one effort at muffins was awful. Plus I would always prefer bread to muffins of any quality.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally have a very strong starter and am not having to feed it as often, so my discard is much smaller. The muffins I made were good, but we can only eat so many muffins a week, and about half of them went into the freezer.

      Delete
  12. Glad you’re okay. That’s a lot of discard. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been feeding it heavily to get a very strong yeasty starter

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.