Translate

Monday, January 16, 2023

Food Boringest Food

Trust me when I say that no one is going to be singing accolades about the meals we are eating right now. Though I have a ton of food, when I don't look at the food ads and plan meals around what is on sale for the week, I have a tendency to just kind of wing it. I will snag something out of the freezer or pantry with no thought put into what it will become as a meal. It is definitely not what I should be doing. As you can see we are not going hungry at all, just eating kind of boring meals.
 The only upside is that I am pretty much staying out of the stores. I did buy 3 things I had given myself permission to buy, and it does make it easy to shop when the only aisles you walk down are produce and dairy.




Monday Meals
Breakfast: Toast with country gravy
Lunch: Huge green salad
Dinner: Sloppy Joe's on leftover white bread, broccoli, mandarin
Snack: Sugar free hot chocolate (no marshmallows this time)

Tuesday Meals
Breakfast: Coffee
Lunch: Last bit of meatball stew, crackers, mandarin
Dinner: Trader Joe's soup noodles, leftover broccoli, mandarin, lemon ginger tea (2 cups)
               (TheHub had a dinner meeting and I was not cooking just for me)
Snack: Graham crackers

Wednesday Meals
Breakfast: Coffee
Lunch: Fast food hamburger (was staying with my cousin at her rehab facility) diet Dr. Pepper
Dinner: Pork patties with leftover country gravy, green beans, potato pancakes
Snack: Mini twix, mandarin

Thursday Meals
Breakfast: Coffee, sausage links
Lunch: Not hungry, tea, mandarin
Dinner: Bbq chicken, collards, corn on the cob
Snack: crackers and cheese

Friday Meals
Breakfast: Coffee
Lunch: 1/2 leftover pork patty, leftover collards. crackers, mandarin, tea
Dinner: Vegetable soup, cheese toast, mandarin
Snack: Crackers and cheese

Saturday Meals
Breakfast: Dutch baby pancake with blueberries
Lunch: Out to eat, pork chops, slaw (me) Chicken and dumplings, mac and cheese (The Hub)
we both had stewed okra and tomatoes.
Dinner: Almost French onion soup

Sunday Meals
Breakfast: Coffee, TheHub had tea and a banana
Lunch: Leftover chicken pot pie
Dinner: Conecuh sausage, cooked cabbage
Snack: Graham cracker with peanut butter

Bought this week
5 bananas (TheHub's recreational shopping purchase)
bag of mandarins* ( ditto)
bag of broccoli and cauliflower (ditto)
2 bell peppers
1 carton cherry tomatoes
1 dozen eggs

Used this week
From The Freezer
1 pack browned ground chuck
1/2 bag frozen broccoli
1 box Trader Joe's soup noodles
1 pack ground pork
1 pack green beans
1 box sausage links
1 cooked chicken breast
1 pack cooked chicken
2 ears of corn
Quart bag of vegetable soup
1/4 bag frozen blueberries
small pack of conecuh sausage

From the Fridge
mustard
salad dressing
7 eggs
bbq sauce
cheddar slices
heavy cream
sourdough discard (product discarded after feeding the sourdough starter)
pepper sauce
Swiss cheese slices
butter

From the Pantry
remaining white bread  
whole wheat bread 2 slices
croutons
1 pack country gravy mix
1 can Manwich (how the heck did that ever get into my pantry)
graham crackers
5 quart size tea bags 
7 earl gray tea bags
2 lemon ginger tea bags
2 chai tea bags
1/2 box potato pancake mix
1 bag Cape Cod bbq chips (hub's snack over several nights)
flour (to feed sourdough starter)
1 can seasoned collard greens
1 pack hot chocolate mix
2 packs Knorr onion soup mix
honey
maple syrup
sugar
splenda
salt
pepper
hot sauce
sriracha
olive oil 


Produce used (on hand)
Lettuce
5 mandarins
4 onions
1/2 humongous cabbage

Weekly wrap up:
I find that even though I am using food storage, I don't like feeling bound to it. I think it is all about discovering things l am missing, like fresh ginger. I know I could go and buy it, but unless there is a true need for something I am not going to get it and  ginger is a want not a need.
I would like to bake cookies but I am saving my eggs. I did break down and buy more. I was about to run out anyway when a neighbor asked if she could borrow some, so I sent the ones I had to her. 
Lucky me, I found a box of graham crackers in the back of the pantry. It is not exactly what I wanted, but it is almost a substitute for a cookie.
Anyway, our meals have lacked a certain luster, but we are still eating and the meals are fine.
BTW when you see just one vegetable listed, it means we ate about 3 serving size portions. I learned long ago we do better eating a lot of one vegetable rather than regular portion sizes of three veggies. 

*I knew TheHub was going to stop at Publix for bananas but the mandarins and the broccoli and cauliflower were a surprise. I will use the broccoli and cauliflower, and have really enjoyed the mandarins (even though I did not request them)





29 comments:

  1. I just had graham crackers as a pre-dinner snack...lol. Tommy found them up high where I put them in order not to eat them. They must have been here for three months. Nope, bought in September of 22. I think graham crackers are a cookie!
    There are four dozen eggs here. I hope the egg situation does not reach tp levels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham crackers may qualify as a cookie, but they are not satisfying cookies.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering where all the leftover collards went! You must have snuck in my house last week. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are doing well, you still have a good variety.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have enough in storage to have a variety of meals.

      Delete
  4. I have been known to wing it for weeks on end and while it isn't a great way to eat interesting meals, it's fabulous for creativity and getting rid of things :)
    It all looks good to me and now I can't wait for mandarin season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really my main focus is to use a lot of the food inventory I have here. I am not being terribly creative so far though.

      Delete
  5. I don't think meals sound boring at all. I live mandarins for the flavor and size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe mandarins TheHub picked up the other day have been a perfect flavor.

      Delete
  6. You are awesome! I appreciate you sharing your menus and lists with us. I cannot believe the price of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your meals don't sound too boring to me! You are doing really well, using up what you have in your freezer and pantry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only reason I am finding them really boring is because I will decide something like fresh pineapple sounds delicious and I have none here. It is not an item I keep all the time so I will not go buy something just because I want it ___though that might change by the end of the month.

      Delete
  8. Yay you. Nausea is pretty much a constant here at the moment so any meal I get to the table is a win. And if anyone disagrees they can cook for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you are struggling through that. It is no fun.

      Delete
  9. Doesn't sound boring at all. You did a great job using items you already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have way too much, especially in the freezer, and that definitely need to be culled.

      Delete
  10. I go around singing that song sometimes when it's dinner time and nothing is ready. :) I don't think your meals sound boring at all. Maybe they seem boring to you since you have put constraints on yourself. Anyway, you're doing a great job working on using your stores of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I also sing it sometimes when we are having really gross meals.

      Delete
  11. I’m saving my eggs too and not making any for breakfasts around here. I need them for salmon Pattie’s and such things I cook for dinner. Your meals sound delicious to me. I like using the food I have stored here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is saving their eggs now. The last I bought were over 5 bucks.

      Delete
  12. I will happily eat whatever you have.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, not boring at all. I think your butler is doing an excellent job to use up food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My butler is doing ok, but my housekeeper is really slacking off (her name is Anne too)

      Delete
  14. Definitely not boring to me. I'm looking forward to simpler fare when I get home in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like some of the delicious cruise ship foods!

      Delete
  15. I love mandarines and eat them with yoghurt every morning for breakfast while they're in season (then I switch to nectarines). But has the price of eggs really gone up as much as it appears in the US? I can't say it's changed much here - maybe because they were always expensive anyway (I paid €2.60 this morning for 6 organic), but we definitely don't seem to have a shortage!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.