Translate

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Week 4 is Done

 The first month of 2023 did not slow down anymore than all of 2022 did. Time is winging past me, and now it is Sunday again to post the last week's joys. I was exposed directly to covid so I had a week staying fairly isolated. This week I hope is a little more productive.




Sunday: We went to church, then picked up our lunch from a drive through and brought it home. The day was seriously dreary and  much colder than we thought it would be. We  did not want to go anywhere. Instead we both read, watched a little football then watched 1883.

Monday: A guy rang the doorbell early Monday morning with a pine straw rolls filling his truck. After a little negotiating I hired him to put it across the front of the house all the way to the side of the street (I live on a corner lot) Almost 10 rolls later and a bit out of my wallet, the job was done and it looks great.
 I tried a new to me chocolate brownie recipe using the sourdough discard. And yes it was delicious.
While I was out running to the bank I saw daffodils blooming in one of my neighbors yards.
But the biggest joy was talking and laughing with Sluggy.

Tuesday: Made morning glory muffins with sourdough discard. Extreme joy that my microwave has a convection bake function. My oven crapped out and I do not have to be in such a hurry to have it repaired.

Wednesday: I ran out for a bit on Wednesday, met TheHub for lunch then had a meeting concerning our finances (I maintained a lot of distance) On the way  home I saw a tulip tree in almost full bloom.

Thursday: The day was really dreary and I was glad I did not have to go anywhere. Instead I had a nice day reading. TheHub gave me a shawl for Christmas and I am not normally a shawl gal, but it is seriously warm when the house is cold. It keeps me comfortable without turning on the heat. 

Friday: I spent the day looking for an accordion folder that I remember putting someplace "safe" and had no earthly idea where "safe" was. The upside is that a lot of places got a thorough cleaning as I emptied cabinets and drawers looking for it.
My Beloved Sister came by mid chaos and we sat and laughed at some of the things I had pulled out of particular places. Anyone else have about 15 composition books with stuff written in maybe 5 pages of each one? 
We read some stories I had written and forgotten about. Some caused so much laughter I almost wet my pants, but the last one left us both in tears.  Maybe one day I will share some here.
I also did a little more baking using more of the sourdough discard. I am trying not to waste anything but I can't continue baking like this, because I am more than a little tempted to eat it.

Saturday: After running our usual Saturday morning errands, we came home to have a leftover lunch, then watch Bama basketball. Well, one of us watched the game while the other one of us baked.  After the game was over and the bread was rising, the biscuits were baked and the cookies were baking, we watched a couple of episodes of The Offer. It is a very enjoyable show to watch, especially since both of us are huge fans of The Godfather.

Anyway the week is done and it was a relatively decent week for one where I was keeping mostly to myself. There are small joys even on the more isolated weeks if you just look for them.


May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne




25 comments:

  1. Yes, I do have a lot of those notebooks! So, how were you exposed to covid? All the flowers blooming do put a smile on my face. I am waiting for the tulip tree across the street to bloom since I can see the whole thing from my chair. I even enjoy the dandelions, but they have continued to bloom all winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to be exposed to covid, having direct physical contact with 2 people the day before they tested positive

      Delete
  2. Did you find the accordion folder? I do hope so. Sometimes those 'safe places' are black holes. Love that you continue to find joy and hope you have avoided covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no earthy idea where I put the stupid folder.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a pretty nice week. I am all too familiar with those 'safe places'. There are still a couple of things I am looking for and can't find. I can't wrap my head around the fact that the first month of the year is almost over already. I feel like I was just getting ready for Halloween. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on how fast time is moving. I honestly fell like we just got back from our tri[ to Portland in November.

      Delete
  4. I just started experimenting with sour dough and initially thought the discards were to be really discarded, like in a garbage can. Then I realized you can actually bake with them but, honestly I do not want to bake so much. I found a no discard method which I am trying as of now. The link is in today's post if you want to check it out. Hope, you find your folder soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to watch the discard less video soon. I can't keep baking like I have been doing just to use the discard

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a pretty good week besides not being able to find your folder. Hope it turns up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The folder is here in the house__somewhere "safe" (safe from me I guess)

      Delete
  6. Good luck finding that safe place. I have a habit of doing things like that too. Though I don't have composition books with five pages written in them. I'm not much of a writer of anything but reminder notes to myself.
    It's hard to believe it is week 4 already! I'm happy we're getting closer to spring every day, but still it seems to have passed in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a day the other day and I was freezing but for most of you it would have felt like spring.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like that you had a rather good week...everything went smooth and you did some baking :-) I hate to waste the sourdough discard, so I kept baking muffins with them...but somehow I had to stop because we just can't finish so much food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if I am having to freeze what I baked with the discard it is not really worth baking.

      Delete
  8. Maybe your folder is in my Bubba Garage, or lost somewhere with all my pot/pan lids, my pasta maker, my food processor I still can't find. ugh Hope you find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the stupid folder is here, I just don't know where I put it.

      Delete
  9. When it "works" isn't sisterhood wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sisterhood always works with my sister. She knows me better than anyone.

      Delete
  10. I have a bunch of those notebooks too. 😂 How nice that your microwave has a bake function too.sounds like you and your sister had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found those notebooks at Walmart years ago for 10 cents each, so I bought a ton fo them.
      My sister and I always have fun together. We are lucky we live in the same suburb about 4 miles apart.

      Delete
  11. I got a shawl-with-sleeves at Christmas, too! Perfect for these in-between weather days! Now, I need my microwave to go belly-up so we might get one of those with a convection bake feature!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always envious that you and your sister are so close in distance, and so happy for you that you get to enjoy it.

    Joys for the week: I got to take the boys to dinner (just the three of us) & we had a fun evening, the weather was nice enough for a walk on Friday. The teens are generally getting along really well. I solved a travel logistics puzzle. No work traveling in Q1!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope that you do not come down with the virus after being exposed to it! I, too, put stuff away and then, can't find them! Happens every time I tidy a horizontal surface! I can tell you exactly where it was buried in the piles but, put stuff away, and they vanish into another dimension!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.