Translate

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Time, Please Slow Down

The countdown to the end of the year has begun in earnest now. THe 43rd week is in the books and we are in a single digit countdown. Where did the time go?

Sunday: One of our guests mentioned the last time he was at our house he got kolaches from a doughnut shop near our house. We try to be decent hosts, so TheHub ran to get some for breakfast. 
Right after he left to pick the up another guest told me it was his birthday. Because we had made a fuss for  Son3 and DIL3's anniversary the night before I could not let the birthday go unnoticed, but had no time to even make muffins before TheHub returned.
Instead I snuck outside and called Son3 (who rode with TheHub) and told them to include a cream filled doughnut with the kolache purchase. When I had the table ready and all guests sitting there, I walked in with a lit candle in the center of the doughnut. It was a small gesture but L is such a dear and was very appreciative.
And immediately after they left, I began the Great Sheet  and Towel Washing.



Monday: This was a day of rest. I was a total sloth all day, doing only the barest minimum required for daily living. Since TheHub had a dinner meeting I did not even have to cook, which made me extremely happy. Instead I ate popcorn sitting in front of the TV and binged Apple TV's "Invasion".

Tuesday:  My bookclub (or should I call it our non-bookclub since we are only meeting to have lunch and talk) met at a local restaurant and talked for about 2 hours. Glad we schedule at off times and there were very few tables filled so we were free to gab. (And yes we did double tip the server)
I got home from a late lunch and had just enough time to read for about an hour before another shower and getting gussied up for for a Parkinson's fundraiser. I am not crazy about dressy events during the workweek, but at least it was for a good cause. 

Wednesday: After class two friends asked if I would like to go out to eat with them. It was a gorgeous day and I had nothing pressing so of course I went. I had a great time with them.

Thursday: Another beautiful day happened, and the leaves were starting to turn. There's a maple tree at the end of my street that always turns the most brilliant scarlet. When I was driving out the sun was hitting it perfectly and it truly looked like the tree was ablaze.
Other than seeing the gorgeous tree the day was pretty routine, though I did find a couple of Christmas presents for some of the family members.
However; our anniversary was Thursday night and we went to Helen for dinner. I thought it was a charming place, but believed the food quality did not match the prices. Nonetheless, we had a nice dinner out. Instead of giving each other gifts, we are taking the entire family on a trip this summer as a delayed anniversary celebration.

Friday: It was another drop dead gorgeous day! We were supposed to have someone come over to do some brick work, repairing a couple of bricks that had loosened form the front steps, and building a short retaining wall in the backyard. TheHub came home early to be here (I am not sure why, since I always handle all the repairs to the house/yard) and the brick mason came, but decided he wanted to do it at a later date since the job would take a little longer than he remembered. I was wondering why they had scheduled it so late. And that is precisely why I like to schedule/handle work around the house.
Since he was home early and Oscar was not going to do anything, we went out and looked for a new piece of furniture for the den.
Our TV is about to crap out and TheHub wants to go much larger, so our existing media piece will not work. We found what we were looking for, and now just need to order it and have it delivered. I am OK with it, I guess, but I don't need anything larger than what is there already. This is not a battle I am choosing to fight. I will save that for something more important.

Saturday: For the first time in I don't know when, we went nowhere all day Saturday. And it was wonderful. We hung around the house, did a few chores that are seasonal, the settled in to watch/listen to ball games. Bama was not playing and it was easy to get up and do other things while just listening to the various games.
I wish we had more days together like that!

I hope you find your joys this week, they are always out there if you look for them.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne






20 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary!
    I love how you celebrated your guest's birthday! :)
    It sounds like you had a joyful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet surprise, getting that cream-filled donut! As for us and our house, I'd take an Experience over gifts any day of the week.... memories are made of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point in my life, I need nothing but fun times with people I love.

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like that you had a busy week, Anne. That's really nice of you baking muffins for your birthday guest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the birthday donut, great save!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the only thing I could think of with just a few minutes notice.

      Delete
  6. I hate humongous TVs too but it does seem to be a male thing. Mind you, as you say, not a battle worth fighting either is it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan but it is what it is. It is not worth wasting my time arguing over.

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary!
    I'll take some of your lovely weather, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think today might be the first step toward fall. It is in the 50's right now/

      Delete
  8. When we got our last TV, it was much larger than we had ever had (small by today's standards) and I was embarrassed when people saw it because it was so big. Well, after a little time, I got used to it and wouldn't want to go back to a smaller one now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary. It sounds like you had a pretty nice week. Days spent at home are a true joy aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen Kolaches anywhere. I grew up with them. It sounds nice meeting friends for lunch. I bowl and that's my only outlet to see friends. Happy Anniversary. Hope you get your TV worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do better when I have some social contacts with others. Bowling would work for me.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.