Translate

Sunday, October 1, 2023

And in waltzes October

Farewell to September.  This month has flown by just like the rest of 2023 thus far. This morning. I realized I have just 3 more months of joys before we move on to the new year.  I still think it should be early August instead of fall (which is only a technical term here because it is still hot)
I need to be more attentive to the everyday joys and be happy with every good thing everyday for the rest of the year. I will try, I promise.
Meanwhile welcome October (I guess since it is here whether I am ready for it or not)



Sunday: We got up, had coffee or tea then headed to church. I am Methodist and in addition to our typical church disciplines, we seem to have one overriding rule: make sure we are out early enough so we can beat the Baptists to restaurants for lunch after church. It worked for us! We were one of the first 3 occupied tables when we ate. 
The day was gorgeous and our friend is recovering from a back injury and is now able to drive and walk a little, which is a huge joy.

Monday: This day was a little cooler and less humid. It was still shorts and flip flops weather, but definitely more bearable. I try to use Mondays to straighten up the house from whatever we did over the weekend__or read! It seems I will always choose a book over doing more than minimal housework. 

Tuesday: My Beloved Sister and I drove to Gardendale on the north side of town to take lunch to my cousin S. She and I were just a few months apart in age. She was my first friend and closest cousin. S has been struggling with a health issue lately and had not felt like having visitors. I was thrilled when she said we could come see her. She looked great, and we were able to talk and laugh. As she continues to gain strength we plan to make our visits more often.

Wednesday: I have class Wednesday mornings but I missed it. I had a little self inflicted stomach issue the night before and wound up sitting upright from 3 in the morning until 7. (Can you say acid reflux? Maybe, just maybe, it was from an overdose of cookies). I finally went back to bed and slept for a couple of hours. When I woke it was too late to get ready and be there on time. 
I think I talked with Sluggy on Wednesday but it might have been Tuesday. I did not record it and things fly in and out of the vault inside my head.
TheHub called to check on me and when he found I was going to live he suggested we go out to eat. After the issues I had in the wee hours of the morning, the last thing I wanted to do was go somewhere to eat. But this is all a part of his new "break up the work week" routine, and I tend to pick my battles carefully.  Going out to eat is not worth putting my foot down and refusing.
We went to the Palm & Pig so he could try it. I had already been with friends one day for lunch and gave it a thumbs up, but he wanted to check it out himself. 
I did order some food but I was very judicious about my order and the amount I ate.
We had planned on going to Costco after we ate, but TheHub decided he had rather save that for another evening. We went home, changed into soft clothes and watched "The Last Days of Ptlomey Gray". I strongly recommend this series found on Apple TV.

Thursday: The day was fairly normal . The skies clouded and threatened a much needed rain. Unfortunately that did not happen.  I did have a phone conversation with a friend and I enjoyed that.
We did not go to Costco Wednesday, so we had to go Thursday. I think it has taken the place of Publix for TheHub's recreational shopping fix. I don't like crowds but Thursday evening is a fairly decent time to go. Though the parking lot was about 1/3 full, the store is so large that it felt almost  empty. And that is a huge joy for me.
After leaving Costco, TheHub suggested we pick something up for dinner. Fine with me, I was planning on sandwiches for dinner anyway. Instead we stopped at a small pho place for a to-go dinner. Another night of no cooking is a joy.

Friday: This was a day to try and get as much as possible done around the house. I was not successful at that but I did get into reading “Wolf Hall”. The jury is still out if it is going to be worth the time investment. We’ll see.
We did not go out for our weekly date night since we had been out and about 2 nights during the week already. Instead we watched the documentary “ The Saint of Second Chances”. Even though it is about a baseball family it is actually not about the game, but is about selling fun, and what is really important in life. Nothing is better than watching a show that leaves you feeling happier than you were when you started watching it.

Saturday: After a quick cup of coffee it was time to get ready for the day. Once we stepped outside we found that summer had returned in all her humid glory. 
TheHub and I ran around to do a few errands. We were about half way through with them right before lunchtime and we stopped by The Pita Cafe for a quick bite. (TheHub eats at noon nearly every workday and he continues his clock eating during the weekend. I go along because it is just easier. ) Luckily they had 3 different football games  on the televisions in there. We were able to eat and keep up with them before we left to continue our errands. 
I understand I talk a lot about football here, because I actually do like to watch college games. So we watched, and watched, and watched, doing chores in between watching.
We ended the evening with the Alabama/Mississippi State game. They won but really did not look very good. Still a win is a win, so Roll Tide, Roll!

And now I will begin this new week with fresh eyes looking to find all things that are joyful.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

29 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at the beating the Baptists to lunch comment… lol. Roll Tide! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how fast this year has gone by and that is was a very difficult one for us. Before you know it I will be setting up Christmas and I'm not sure I can face it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has flown by. I hope things will get a little easier for you.

      Delete
  3. Like Cindy, I laughed at the comment about the Methodists and Baptists. It seems to me that there was a similar situation in my home town between the Anglican and the United Church parishioners. :)
    There is a part of me that is hoping October flies by, so we can get this move finished, but on the other hand I know that November is likely is to bring snow...so I can wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll need to check out both "The Last Days of Ptlomey Gray" and “ The Saint of Second Chances”. Nothing like a good movie (or book) to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch something together nearly every night. Ptolemy Gray was fantastic.

      Delete
  5. Can't believe it's already October...X'mas will be here before you know it. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it will be here much quicker than I will be ready for.

      Delete
  6. I will be interested to hear what you think of Wolf Hall. Acclaimed author though she is/was I have never warmed to Hilary Mantel. Hooray for joys. And cooler days. I envy you a little. We have been setting records for Spring heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am not really enjoying the book enough to really dig into it. The cooler days turned out to be a teaser and summer came right back.

      Delete
  7. I am listening to Wolf Hall for the third time (over several years). It's just so very well done. . I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am not really enjoying it. I plan on having a reading day tomorrow and maybe some concentrated reading time will change things a little

      Delete
  8. It's hard to believe that it's already October, isn't it? I, too, am determined to find the joys that October brings. Hope you have a joyful week ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to say that my Methodist Church doesn't have the same policy as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was born and raised Baptist, but married a Methodist, and in my experience Baptist preachers are much more longwinded so I think you will beat them to the restaurant every time. :)
    Sounds like a lovely week of joys. Hope your tummy is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I heard faint strains of a waltz tune the other day.
    In Cullman First Baptist was across from the All Steak, so they got there before anyone. But, some churches really tried.
    Summer all Fall in the South is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall in the south is nice__once it is actually here.

      Delete
  12. Acid reflux - berk! I find bread and basically any junk food does it to me, so I know the solution of course!!!! And I love that song - love The Chicks anyway, but hadn't heard that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never experienced reflux like that. TheHub has issues with it all the time and I never had enough sympathy for him. I will the next time he complains about it.

      Delete
  13. I had to laugh at the Methodist comment. Lol.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Church is important but beating the Baptists to lunch is just as big of a deal.

      Delete
  14. Me, too! (About the Methodist reference, that is.(
    I really need to put pho on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid we had a music minister who sang his own verse of "Give Me That Old Time Religion" His was "Make the Baptists Love the Methodists". I will agree with that sentiment but I still think we should beat them to lunch!

      Delete
  15. September flew by so quickly, I can't believe it is October already. I've really been paying extra attention to my little and big joys as well. It is a good habit to have. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping up with joys is what keeps me sane on bad days, because I can always find something joyful.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.