Translate

Sunday, October 22, 2023

Week42? How is that possible?

I had a busier than normal week, but most of it was spent doing some cleaning and getting the house ready for houseguests, as well as a general getting the place spit spot for the upcoming holiday season. As I have said before I do not like housework. It is strictly a chore to me.




Monday: This was a work around the house day. I found many, many items to be donated to The Exchange Club. There was a serious joy when the truck came to pick it up and I did not have to load the car and take it anywhere. I am fortunate that we are in a neighborhood where they have door service every 6 or so weeks.
It was Monday freebie day at The Pig butTheHub wanted me to wait until he got home so he could go with me. ThePig has a really good wine and beer department and he was in the mood to browse, but suggested we first go to Vecchia and use the gift cards we had from there. No cooking? I will always say yes to that.

Tuesday: Hands down this was my favorite day. I was able to volunteer at Independence Place where the participants learned to make taco soup. I came home, did a bit of cleaning then TheHub and I went to see the musical"Mean Girls". Our season tickets are for the Sunday matinee, but we knew we were having houseguests and opted to change to opening night. We were really pleased to get our exact seats with the ticket swap, but we missed seeing those friends we have made over the years who sit around us.

Wednesday: More deep cleaning happened. All the downstairs common areas are now ready for the holidays. Can you believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner? 
The hardwood floors are cleaned and waxed (they look so good) and all the interior windows are washed. 
I also began a daily fika break. DIL3 had taught me about the Swedish tradition during the shorter days of the year, to take a mid/late afternoon coffee break and have a little bite of something sweet with it.  Coffee and some keto granola was a great way to start.

Thursday: The upstairs bedrooms and baths were completely cleaned, fresh sheets were on the beds, and the rooms were readied for guests. 

Friday: All 5 guests arrived mid afternoon. 3 of them live in NYC and had said in advance they were craving southern barbecue. I could have smoked a butt in advance, but I figured because there are 4 different bbq joints right around our neighborhood, it was a message from the universe to do take out, and just personally make a few of the sides.  We had a lovely dinner and great conversations.

Saturday: This was game day, the reason they were all here in the first placeAfter a ham and biscuit breakfast (gotta keep the southern theme going) all the males (including TheHub and Son2) left for Tuscaloosa. DIL3 was here for the weekend and DIL2 came over.  We watched the first half then had our fika time with coffee and cookies. I was enjoying being with them and talking that we forgot to watch the game until about the middle of the third quarter.
After the game, I got busy changing the dining room decor to celebrate Son3 and DIL3's 5th anniversary. I figured is she was willing to spend their day here while her husband was at the game, I could at least do something a little special for her. I think they were very surprised to see the room set with the china, wine glassed and champagne flutes. The celebration was with a bunch of other folks, but that is what happens when you include friends in your weekend.

Look for your joys. They are always there, even if you have to look really hard!

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

24 comments:

  1. Week 42? It doesn't seem possible!
    Congrats to your son and dil on their 5th wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking this morning that there are only two months of the year left. How did this happen?? I also think of cleaning as a chore and a chore only. I can think of so many other things I'd rather do. Sounds like you had a lovely week. Enjoy week 43.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next couple of weeks should be filed with some fun and also some down time. I am ready for both.

      Delete
  3. Week 42? It was only a couple of days ago we had the whole year ahead of us.
    Add me to the housework is a chore task. A necessary chore. It is a joy to have it done though (a temporary joy but a joy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how fast this year has flown, but I at least have 10 weeks left to start on my 2023 New Year's resolutions.

      Delete
  4. Roll Tide! That first half tho….. yikes…. Lol. We did win! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet gesture, 'gussying up' your dining room to honor DIL #3! Happy anniversary to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love all my DIL's so doing a little something special for her is actually my pleasure.

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed that you have all of your deep cleaning done. And is it my imagination, or do you have a lot of guests? I should probably have more because visits always motivate me to get around to chores that I've been putting off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a decent number of houseguests . And you are right, the visits do encourage getting some chores done.

      Delete
  7. I can't believe your youngest and his beloved have been married 5 years now! I also can't believe Turkey Day will be here in 32 Days?? Crazy! And me still not able to do anything. I guess it's take-out Chinese for us this year. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it does not seem like 5 years. I guess the Covid curse screwed up my timeline

      Delete
  8. Time really flies! It seems that X'mas was just not very long ago, and soon it will arrive again. It's wonderful that you had a fun and productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did have a nice week , fun and productivity mixed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, look at you getting all your deep cleaning done and the house ready for the holidays and guests, already! Well done! Happy anniversary to your Son 3 and DIL3. Hope the week ahead will be equally joyful (with less cleaning!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need to attack the laundry room. I may or may not get to it this week. Since I have a two week break before our next round of houseguests I might do absolutely nothing tomorrow!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like it was a great week to start the Holiday Season. Congrats to your son and daughter-in-law for their 5th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me once it is Halloween the holiday season has started. Thanks to having houseguests I am ahead of my usual holiday deep cleaning schedule.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely time you had! And a fika break sounds like a definite must. Makes sense, after all, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as the days get shorter I am going to pick one day of the week and have an open fika break invitation to my neighbors

      Delete
  13. It's so nice to get our homes clean and spic and span. I just enjoy that so much. Your new ritual of a daily fika break sounds just like the type of self care we all need. That was so sweet of you to decorate for their 5th wedding anniversary. What a neat surprise for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just decided since DIL3 was being such a good sport about sharing her anniversary with a football game, I could give a little back for her.

      Delete
  14. How could we be this far into the year?? I, too, hate housework!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.