Translate

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time

I will be the first to admit it: I wear makeup. I don't put it on everyday though, unless I am going to go out among the living. I am not a pessimist by nature, but I am definitely a realist and a quick look in the mirror lets me know there is a reason I need a little paint in my war chest. Not only do I feel a little better about myself, when I am wearing it, but it keeps me from scaring any dogs or small children I might meet in passing.

Our bedroom has a small kidney shaped vanity in the corner of the room near my side of the bed.  When I am getting all gussied up I sit on a stool there to work my craft. Upfront  and centered on the vanity is a makeup mirror. At first glance it appears to be a regular mirror until it  flips to a humiliating 10x size. There is nothing like magnified horrors is there? No secrets are left from my view, thus illustrating the need for the lotions, potions, and other products produced to enhance what God forgot to give me, and/or took away as I have aged.

Needless to say I have a lot of products, way more than I use on a regular basis, which are all organized by categories. I do have my everyday look all together on the far left of the vanity. It sits out 100% of the time, with everything else being organized by makeup type in drawers or containers. 

Since I have an abundance of products, I am trying to use them up and clear the space they occupy. I know I read all the time about makeup becoming dated, but I swear that my eyebrows do not object to me using the same eyebrow palette I have been using for about 2 years. I do understand the need to toss mascara after a couple of months, but most of the stuff I keep and use until it runs out, especially since I am a little freaky about keeping all my cosmetic brushes clean.

Because I am trying to empty some of the items I have a little more in my everyday stash than I normally would. (Like 2 compacts of blush, several eye pencils, a few lipsticks, etc.) As a result of the overcrowding I have accidentally knocked a couple of products on the floor and have to pick them up and set them back in place. 

The only problem with this is that occasionally I set the whatever fell in the wrong place. I am a tad compulsive and have each product sitting on the vanity in order of use. When this happens it is normally not an issue. I do not mistake lipstick for an eye pencil or eye shadow for blush.

This brings me to the point I planned this post around. The other day I knocked off my setting spray (one of those things I rarely use but put out to use until it is gone) and set it back on the vanity (quite obviously in the wrong place as you will see in a second).

I finished applying everything, reached (without looking) for my setting spray with my eyes closed like I normally do (I mean who wants that crap in their eyes) and spritzed my entire face, realizing as soon as I did it, that instead of Mario Badescu, I had sprayed my entire face with The Body Shop peppermint cooling foot spray. We had to be somewhere almost immediately and I had no time to wash my face and start over. Instead we left with me having slightly irritated eyes, wearing a fragrance I am fondly referring to as eau du Altoids.

And that is why it sometimes sucks to be me!



25 comments:

  1. Too funny! But it could have been worse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I guess it could have been air freshener or sheet spray

      Delete
  2. Smiling. I don't wear make up (though will admit to scaring the horses and small children). I can well imagine that happening to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the time I was in my early 20's my mom used to tell me if I was mistake prone at my then age, she did not want to see what would happen when I got older.

      Delete
  3. I used to wear make up daily...now I don't as I am trying to cut down all the unnecessary chemicals. Still use perfume daily and lipstick when I HAVE TO though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was sensitive to smell in the later part of her life so I quit wearing any perfume. I have not thought about it, but I really should start again.

      Delete
  4. My accidents are mostly tripping on carpet or grass. But, I have sprayed my share of substances in the wrong places. Hairspray for underarm deodorant. Lysol for hairspray. Underarm deodorant for hairspray. Thankfully, I keep the PAM in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My accidents are not so much physical accidents as much as they are boneheaded mistakes.

      Delete
  5. That's too funny! I hope you felt cool and refreshed! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Once the stinging in my eyes quit I was pretty refreshed!

      Delete
  6. Ha ha, I think we've all done that haven't we! My sister once pushed me to dye my eyebrows (which have become fair over the years). I left it on too long and ended up looking like Groucho Marx! And of course I kept stuff at work and once sprayed hair spray under my arms!!!! The good thing about the menopause though is I really couldn't give a cr*p any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No caring is the biggest benefit of getting older, though I still do wear makeup (even if it is a bare minimum) when I go out among the living.

      Delete
  7. Eau de Altoids. lol Well it could have been much worse. I saw on TV where a woman used superglue instead of the false eyelash glue and ended up in the ER to get her eye lids unstuck. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried false lashes one time only. I am not skilled enough to get them on correctly and wound up looking like I had caterpillars that had migrated from my lash line to my eyelids.

      Delete
  8. Oh lady! I was laughing so hard last night, I almost got out of bed to come comment. Only in the last year have I dared to step outside without make-up. Once in a while. Even so, I feel more than a little self-conscious -- like someone's going to point and say, "What happened to your face?" My Tom's not said anything, but then again, his eyesight's less than pristine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, I'm laughing as I type this. I'm sure that was a bit of shock to realize what you'd done.
    I haven't worn make-up regularly since I went through a major depressive period at work, and found myself crying multiple times a day. The raccoon eyes and streaks running down my face were not pretty. I do wear make-up occasionally, but I have to admit I don't toss my mascara every two months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear mascara so seldom, even when I wear makeup, that I finally started using cake mascara. I can wash the brush after using it to limit cross contamination and can keep it for a much longer time.

      Delete
  10. No good deed... I think I would like the mint smell better than some of the strong flowery smells people wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the eye burning and slightly drying effect, it was not a bad smell at all.

      Delete
  11. That could definitely happen to me! I lay out each item I need (and, btw, I wear so little, this includes deodorant & face sunblock/lotion), so I can make sure I'm using the right product & that I remember important things - like deodorant ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same in order of use. Like you it is to mainly keep me from forgetting to use what I need. Even on no makeup days the everyday necessities are still at the front of the vanity.

      Delete
  12. Oh my on the foot spray on your face. I like to wear some makeup when I go out. If I am home I don't put any on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear it either unless I am going somewhere around other humans.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.