Translate

Monday, August 3, 2020

Food for the Soul

As most of you know, Son3 and DIL3 came to Alabama just to escape the confines of the city. Essentially they traded one Covid hotspot for another one, because we live in a state where people can be unmasked idiots and are then surprised the infection rates have gone up.. At first they were staying for a couple of weeks, then changed their plans to be here for a month. Now they have decided to extend the visit a little longer. It is fine with us. We have the space (and lots of doors) and a pool in the back yard that they can use day and/or night without fear of Covid.

I had compiled a list of meal possibilities before they got here and we have eaten variations of almost all of them, but I am tired of looking at it, so today I officially say adios to this list.  I have a new list of possibilities but it is a very loose list, which I may or may not follow partially. It is just meal ideas really, based on what is available with my very limited trips to the grocery store.

The former list of possibilities: 

1.   Herb stuffed boneless leg of lamb, rice pilaf, asparagus, tossed salad, rolls 
2.   Hamburgers and all the fixings, zucchini fries 
3.   Chicken enchiladas, Mexican street corn, green salad 
4.   White bbq chicken, coleslaw, green beans, Texas toast 
5.   Pulled pork, baked beans, caulitato salad, pickles, buns 
6.   Lady peas, corn, fried okra, cucumber tomato and onion salad, cornbread
7.   Grilled grouper, sautéed crab claws, tossed. salad, broccoli, Italian bread
8.   Ham, au gratin potatoes, collard greens, dinner rolls 
9.   Steak, twice baked potato, tossed salad 
10. Snapper, zucchini fritters, sliced tomatoes, Greek bread 
11. Fettuccine al fredo, tossed salad. Italian bread 
12. Greek chicken salad on lettuce leaves, crusty rolls or baguette
13. Squash, green beans, fried green tomatoes, coleslaw, cornbread 
14. Grilled tuna steaks with mango salsa, zucchini fries, tossed salad, rolls
15. Bruschetta, tossed salad, assorted cheeses
16. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, green beans 
17. Greek meatloaf, potatoes, tomato slices, green beans. 

This is what we really ate for the week:
Monday: It was a day and a night like most of the are now but I really and truly did not feel like cooking, so I grabbed a jar, cooked some noodles and called it dinner.
Fettuccine al fredo, tossed salad, cheesecake

Tuesday: I had planned on a take out meal at least once during the city escapee's visit, but had not necessarily planned it for Tuesday. Since I forgot to take anything out of the freezer to thaw, the take out meal planned itself. Best 23 dollars I could spend!
Bojangle's dinner in a box (fried chicken, biscuits, mac and cheese, green beans and a quart of tea )

Wednesday: We had a simple "eat from the garden" type meal. However; my wonderful DiL made us an incredibly delicious chocolate mousse for dessert. Did I need the dessert? No!  Did I eat it? You bet!  Did I enjoy it? Absolutely!  Do I regret eating it? Not in the least! 
Squash, green beans, coleslaw, cornbread, chocolate mousse

Thursday: This was another day I did not feel like cooking. Luckily I always have some chopped cooked chicken in the freezer. I warmed it and tossed with with some sauce lurking in the fridge.
Bbq chicken, tossed salad, cornbread

Friday: Son3 had requested Gulf seafood while they are here. It is not a problem since my favorite little fish market gets seafood delivered every morning, fresh form the overnight catch. It is a little pricy, but the flavor is outstanding.
Gouper, cajun snapper, smoked tuna dip, green beans, okra, potatoes

Saturday: Son2 had a birthday Friday, so after a little neighborhood thing that they came to see, they stayed for a birthday celebration.
Burgers and all the fixings, chips, caramel cake (one of his favorites)

Sunday: IIt was a mostly lazy day at the casa. Midday my beautiful DIL made cardamom rolls and cinnamon rolls for fika. I am not Swedish so I am unsure of exactly what it means but it is a little sweet snack and coffee. I had planned a meal, but we were still not hungry for much when dinner time rolled around. Instead I reached for some refrigerated  leftovers and the one remaining zucchini to create a less than stellar, yet filling meal.
Ground beef hash, steamed broccoli


And onward to meal possibilities for the coning week (and I use the term possibilities in the loosest way possible)

1.  Take out
2.  Take out
3.  Big salad and rolls
4.  Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots
5.  White bbq chicken, caulitato salad, green beans
6.  Grilled steak, baked potato, tossed salad
7.  Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread
8. Soul food dinner

16 comments:

  1. If what they can do can be done stayig wiht you for a while, it soun slike that makes a lot of sense. I wish my son would take the 2-3 days and drive to Minnesota. Same thing, while not a hot spot, there are mor ecases, but he can be with family, stay a tthe lake if he wants, and just destress perhaps a bit. My menus have been most uninspring, but we are eating and thats good, wiht no shartages of wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not going to be able to work steadily until next spring at the earliest, so they might as well write and record from here at least for a little longer.
      I hope your son does take the time to drive and destress a bit.

      Delete
  2. I am quite sure any hardships we are experiencing here in AL is nothing compared to their being in NYC. I do love a jar that saves the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just the space they have here is refreshing. Their time outside there was limited to the fire escape.

      Delete
  3. It sounds to me as if you all win with the presence of the city escapees. And win big too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been great having them here. Plus DIL3 is a fabulous cook and treat maker!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Their cats have figured out how to open the doors. So much for containing them in two rooms

      Delete
  5. How lovely that you were expecting them for a couple of weeks - and then it became a month - and then ..... It's a real pleasure isn't it, and to be honest, even if they were eating sandwiches every day (which they're obviously not) just having more space, good company (and someone else doing the cooking) is a real luxury isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed being around them and we do have a lot of space for them to create music. It seems we have a recording studio set up in the music room now. Never had that before.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could persuade my daughter to escape down here, but, she is unwilling to risk public transit to the airport and then, the flight, itself. She doesn't have a car, so she can't drive herself down.

    Your meal plan sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless they had to rent a car because they were not about to fly. Additionally they are taking a lot of things from Mom's house back with them.

      Delete
  7. I want a houseguest who makes chocolate mousse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mousse, cinnamon rolls and dinners. It does not get better than that!

      Delete
  8. I've found that I always need dessert even when I don't. Maybe especially when I don't. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not normally make desserts. Having houseguests changes everything!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.