Translate

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Back Like a Bad Habit


We left Wednesday for a few days at the lake place. TheHub and I were talking and I am pretty sure we only spent 2 nights there prior to this trip in all of 2020 so far.  We had decided to sell and then things changed so quickly with Mom and we decided to keep it at least another year to see if we will use it like we intended to, or not.

The internet connection is seriously bad there and I am not able to respond to blog posts, but I could read them. So I am up to date reading your posts, but have just been silent where normally I would say something.

Going to the lake is fun but also a bit of a pain in the behind. It is remote so the closest grocery store is about 13 miles away. At the beginning of Covid we rode down and cleaned out all of our food storage there. We had not restocked it and I did not think to buy pantry and freezer items before we went Wednesday.  I also knew we would be getting there about 6:30 or 7 in the evening and who wants to go to the grocery store then and make getting to the lake that much later?

We also had decided we did not want to drive but one car, so I rode with TheHub after he got home from the office. Thursday and Friday he planned to drive into work from the lake place which also meant I was not going to have a vehicle to take to the store. Consequently I needed to pack everything we would be needing Wednesday night through Saturday.

I have also found, over time, it is easiest to have something prepared that just needs to be zapped if we are getting there later in the day. No one wants to unload the car then start rustling around trying to create something for a meal. I will admit most of the time we stop in the town closest to the lake and pick up something to take with us, but Wednesday night we just wanted to get there.

My okra has been producing (slowly) and I just had a large handful of okra pods, along with some tomatoes that needed to be used, and a half of an onion in the fridge. I made some stewed okra and originally thought I would cook some rice and serve the okra over it. I figured that and a side of coleslaw would be an adequate (not delicious but adequate) meal. Then I remembered a pound of sausage I had taken out of the freezer. I thought I would take it down to cook for breakfasts but then I remembered I never cook sausage or bacon at the lake. (The lake house is smallish and arranged so  smells permeate every room and hang around a long time.) I love the way they smell cooking but I don't like smelling cooked sausage or bacon at night when I am trying to go to sleep

I did a quick Google search for some way to use it for dinner and found a recipe using crescent rolls, cream cheese and sausage. Since I had everything on hand it was a done deal. I was talking with Son1 and told him about them but told him I was not crazy about the name and had rather call them something else. Pip was listening on speaker phone  and thought I  called them Junky Balls, so that is the name I will use from now on.


Junky Balls
1 can crescent rolls
4 Oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 pound. sausage
1 small onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)

Brown the sausage, onion and garlic powder. Drain well then mix with the cream cheese.
Cut each crescent roll to make 2 triangular pieces. I used Aldi crescent rolls they they are already triangles so I cut them in two. I tried splitting them down the middle but that did not work so I cut the fattest part diagonally into about a 2 inch triangle and used the long skinnier bottom for the other.
Take about a teaspoon of the sausage mix and put it in the center of each 1/2  piece of dough. Start at the fattest end and fold the dough over the filling, then bring the bottom end over to form a lumpy ball. Since all the seas together then lightly roll it between your hands. Place it on a parchment lined baking sheet with about 1 inch of space between balls. Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes. You can remove them form the pans after about a minute and cool slightly on a rack. Then eat and enjoy, or. do like I did, and put them (cooled) in a ziplock bag and store in the fridge till ready to serve.  I just took them out right before we ate and zapped them for about 30 seconds.

They were very tasty and we did not have anything other than the junky balls, stewed okra and coleslaw. It was a very filling dinner. TheHub and I agreed we could just as easily eaten just the junky balls and coleslaw and it would have been plenty.

These would be great reheated for breakfast (in fact I had them Thursday morning) or with brunch anytime. I can even see having them with vegetable soup during the winter, or as an appetizer with a honey mustard dip.
Give it a try and you might find you really like it.

I am going to make a batch and freeze them to see how they hold after freezing. Will let you know later if it works well. If it does, I am going to make several batches and freeze for our Christmas brunch.

22 comments:

  1. Junky balls do sound delicious. What was the name she misunderstood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good. I did not like the name so I am not repeating it here.

      Delete
  2. They do sound interesting, but I have never heard of crescent rolls in a can.
    As a side note, I am glad that you have not made a final decision about the lake house yet. I hope it regains its charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, life in the U.S. where there are shortcuts for everything. Doesn't make it better, just shorter.

      Delete
    2. I just realized calling them canned crescent rolls might be a very Southern thing. they are refrigerated Ibn a cardboard "tube" that pops open. I can remember the disdain when someone served canned biscuits rather than real ones.

      Delete
  3. Those do sound good! I love snack type food! Right now, however, I don't have any of the ingredients needed! Might have to add sausage, crescent rolls, and cream cheese to my grocery shopping list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very tasty. I get the rolls at Aldi for 79 cents and keep one on hand all the time.

      Delete
  4. Hubby and I started binge watching Chopped yesterday. We are enjoying it as it's fast moving. You'd probably be great on that show except that the time limits on making stuff are ridiculous and I worry about safety. People keep getting injured. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chopped but sometimes (often) I have never heard of an item in the basket. Doing it and making it presentation worthy in 30 minutes is not in my wheelhouse, but I will admit to mentally trying to think what I could make with them

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. They were really tasty. It is something worth repeating.

      Delete
  6. They sound really good! I make something similar with the canned pizza dough. I put a little fresh mozzarella and/or ricotta cheese and a small cooked meatball in each and serve with pasta sauce for dipping. They are always a hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. I want some. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I was thinking as I read the post that the sausage junky balls would make a great addition to Christmas brunch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime. They are going to be on our Christmas brunch table, whether they are from frozen or freshly made (But I really hope they freeze well because it would make the day so much easier)

      Delete
  9. Sausage wrapped in pastry? Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Junky Balls sound fun and delish. I imagine they would be pretty good with soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, and when the weather cools and I begin having soup again these are going to be on the menu.

      Delete
  11. I used to have the same dilemma when we had our camper. We used to go away fishing probably every second weekend but once we were set up I had no transport to run into town if I wanted anything. In the end I started taking the car too (it wasn't far away) and it made my life much easier. Ditto about taking something ready made. While I didn't mind cooking it isn't the same cooking in a camper as it is in your own home is it. And I like the idea of Junky Balls - they sound tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I don't mind cooking at the lake and I do cook there, but we always go later the first night and I don't want to start preparing a meal that late. And you're right, it's just not the same a cooking at home.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.