Translate

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Joy to the World, All you Boys and Girls


I keep a list of things I find everyday during the week that bring me joy. Some are large and some are small, but they are always there. I am hoping on New Years Eve when I re-read them I will look back and remember things I had forgotten that are joyful.
For me, I find keeping a running list tends to make me focus on joys in my life. (Though I do admit to succumbing to wicked thoughts about a few things that regularly piss me off. I guess that is why I need to keep my list)




Wednesday: My Beloved sister came over for a swim but while I was changing into my suit I noticed slight plumbing issue. My joy was being able to fix it myself and still have some swim time with her. The water felt wonderful. Started watching A Year in Space on Netflix.

Thursday: This week the days are running into each other. I planted a couple of yellow squash plants and replanted green beans, even though the existing plants are still blooming like crazy. I was also finally able to harvest a lime. I have been babying a lime tree all spring and summer and it is finally ready. I think I have 5 more that should be pickable in a few days. I am calling this a huge success and joy since this is not a citrus tree climate. It is a great climate for a couple of varieties of apples and my apple trees look great. As for the apples? I have 2 remaining that may or may not ripen. Meanwhile I have very happy squirrels and chipmunks.

Friday: DIL3 has been in Alabama several times, but has never been outside of the city while here. This trip we drove to Moundville and Tuscaloosa. Moundville is the site of a prehistoric Native American city that was, at the time the largest settlement in North America. It was built somewhere between after 1200 but before 1400. There are lots of artifacts that suggest it was a major spot for trade and was a place where many "well heeled" people lived.
After we left there we went into Tuscaloosa and did sight seeing at the University of Alabama. DIL3 even got her picture made with the statues of Nick Saban and Bear Bryant. The joy was seeing her response to what she was seeing. Then of course we bought Dreamland bbq and brought it home to eat.

Saturday: TheHub and I woke and went to the lake to do a few chores. After we got home we watched a little of the golf tournament then went for a quick run to pick up delicious food from the Lebanese Food Festival.

Sunday: We had our usual morning breakfast while we streamed our church service. I have gotten quite spoiled worshiping with TheHub while wearing shorts and sipping coffee. The change back to traditional church is going to be a difficult process.  Afterward TheHub went out in the yard to do some yard work and I stuck my head in the freezer to do some mini defrosting/ rearranging/inventorying. While he roasted I was wearing ski gloves and freezing. Later Son2 and DIL2 came by for a little visit. Then we were treated to a frog serenade in the back yard. It honestly sounded like a Budweiser commercial.

Monday: We were treated to an unexpected visit by DIL2. She is a home visiting occupational therapist and was working near our house. Since she had a 2 hour window between visits she came by here to see us and have lunch.

Tuesday: My dear friend lost her husband and because of Covid had a small service for her immediate family in the backyard of her home Monday evening. Her 5 year old granddaughter came dressed in unicorn rain boots that he had bought for her. She also wore a rainbow swim cover-up because "he loved to watch me swim".
My friend sent me a picture of the ensemble Tuesday. There was a huge amount of joy seeing that picture that was two fold. The first was just how stinking precious it was, and the second was that a 5 year old would take the time to pick out an outfit with deliberation, thinking of how it would honor someone she loved.
I also had a phone conversation with one of my favorite blog friends, which is a huge joy.

And that wraps up the list of my joys for the 32nd week of the year. Hope you find your joy also. It's out there but sometimes you really have to look hard to find it.

25 comments:

  1. That funeral service sounds WONDERFUL. Just the way we should all be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 5 year old is so precious! I hope she grows up to be a wonderful, sensitive and strong adult.
    I love the way you try to find joys every day. Honestly, I cannot find them these days. May be I should look harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to look hard beyond the sadness, frustrations and red tape. One day my only joy was seeing a flock of purple finches in a tree outside my window, so I counted it as the days joy because they truly were beautiful. But that was it for a rotten day!

      Delete
  3. That child taught us all what truly celebrating someone's life means. That story brought me joy. I'm so glad you're time with your children is so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad I shared the story. I thought it was beyond wonderful and with her innocence celebrating was the only way to go.

      Delete
  4. We were going to Dreamland last fall and forgot. I reminded Tommy. That is so precious what the child wore and why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, love these posts! So awesome to hear about the five year old picking out an outfit in honor of her grandfather. I'm sure it brought joy to her family on a hard day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it made her grandmother beam because I could hear her smiling through the phone when she was telling me about it.

      Delete
  6. Any day with Dreamland BBQ is a joyful one. Never knew about Moundville -- definitely would like to visit that. We live across the river from the Cahokia mounts, which are also fun to see. Fun post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about Dreamland. I think the mounds in Illinois are very similar to those in Moundville.

      Delete
  7. Love that song. Takes me back to a 7th grade dance when a couple of guys from our class were the band, and that was one of the songs they played. Not great music by them, but a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music and memories always mix themselves in my mind too!

      Delete
  8. Oh how lucky you are to live in a place where you can grow limes! When I first moved to Geneva my boyfriend and I caught the train down to Naples and the Amalfi coast and I was in awe at the lemons just hanging over the railway line. I always swore I wanted to live in a place where you could grow lemons. While I haven't quite achieved that I'm more than happy with where I ended up, although the idea of just walking out into my back yard and picking an avocado or a lemon still lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The limes are in a pot and will mostly overwinter in my laundry room, but I have been thrilled with the ones that are growing.

      Delete
  9. You have so much to be joyful about, especially the rain boots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tribute to your friend's husband by their 5 year old granddaughter! Brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was brought to tears at the thought of the little one putting so much thought into her outfit. What a tribute to her grandpa!

    Your daily joys are such a pleasure to read. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seeing the more conscientious I am about looking for joy, the more I find.

      Delete
  12. these are hard times aren't they? most of my family live in victoria and as they are in lockdown, there can be no visiting. it's very hard. goodness knows when we will see them again. we are very lucky here in queensland with pretty much zero covid cases for weeks. hope you're keeping well. cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. There was a cover version of that song that played on the overhead at the children’s museum where I worked from 2006-2012. It was a more child friendly version. Brings back memories

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.