Translate

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Good Things Happen to Those Who Look for Them



If you read this blog you already know I keep a list of the joys I find each day, and if you are new here__well now you know too!
My aim is to re-read these on New Year's Eve and reflect on all the joys the year has brought. And even though 2020 has been a Typhoid Mary type of  year, there are still joys each and every day. I am not saying they are always easy to find, but they are around,. Every.  Single.  Day.  You just have to look for them. These are the joys, large and (mostly) small for the 34th week of 2020.

This song is one of my favorites. I have told Son3 that I think this would make a wonderful song for a funeral after a long and well lived life. So, if I live a long and well lived life, he is to make sure this is sung.


Wednesday:  I decided I will complete two projects each week. I might change my mind  later and do three each week but, for right now, I am aiming for two. Wednesday I painted a lamp I had brought from Mom's house. It was an off white floor lamp that is now hammered bronze. It looks pretty nice in my living room, but now I have found several more projects for the room.  How can adding a single lamp cause an avalanche of "to-dos"? I need to totally revamp the  entire room. I think I will begin with moving the artwork. That is the easiest project I can do and, this week,  I am all about easy.

Thursday: Although I do not love bad weather, we had a massive thunderstorm with winds so high it blew the umbrellas in the pool and blew all the pool toys out of the pool. It did not last but about 45 minutes but the earth was good and soaked and the pool got about 2 inches of water.  I stood at the window and watched nature's fury. I have a great sky view out the den window and loved watching the lightning. (Until it was right on top of us and then I didn't love it so much)

Friday:  Son2 and Dil2 joined us for drinks, dinner, and laughs. It is so nice to see both sons and their wives  having a good time. The downside is TheHub and I realize how tragically unhip we are. So many of the cultural references they were talking and laughing about flew right over our heads.  Another harsh reality check (realizing we are old) was that none of them knew who Roy Orbison was until we said he sang "Pretty Woman".

Saturday: Sat on the screened porch with TheHub and Son3 for morning coffee  and conversation before the day heated up. Later in the morning DIL3 got her proofs from her photo shoot and they were drop dead gorgeous. I don't know if it was more joyful to see the photos or see her reaction to them.

Sunday: I guess my biggest joy was Son3 and DIL3 arriving at their midway destination safely. They were a little over halfway home and it was much easier than driving straight through. Safe travels are always a cause for joy! Laundry and vacuuming residual cat hair? Not so joyful!

Monday: The day was so quiet when I woke at 5:30. WTH! I know there is inherent joy when you wake every morning, but I am just not a fan of butt early o'clock! I much prefer to ease into the morning. By 1 in the afternoon I felt like it was time to start thinking about dinner. I suppose there was joy in doing 4 loads of towels before 9 a.m.  I also found joy by cleaning out the fridge before 8 a.m. I like finding joy in the mornings, but I don't need so much joy so early.
A second joy is technology. I love movies, but hate to invest the time sitting and watching them while doing nothing else. Thanks to modern technology I can enjoy them several ways. I can pull them up on my iPad and take them from room to room as I do chores. Most of the movies I watch I can mainly listen to anyway. I can  also pull them up on my laptop then run the sound through echo (which we have set to run through 3 different areas of the house), turn it up loud and listen, just glancing at it now and then.  I "watched" 3 movies this way on Monday. When you wake so dang early you have lots of time for "watching".

Tuesday: I woke this morning listening to the birds, then got out of bed for steaming hot coffee and cinnamon rolls DIL3 had made and frozen.  Hers are a Swedish version, not as sweet and with no icing. They are perfect for a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack along with black coffee. All I had to do was zap it for 30 seconds and use the keuring for a super quick and delicious breakfast. I usually do not eat breakfast, but the cinnamon rolls were screaming at me from the freezer. I tried to get them to be quiet, but they were relentless!
Mid -morning I had a call from Pip. She is hard at work becoming a writer so we decided to c0-write stories. She decided who and what the characters would be. (2 unicorns named Rainbow and Star and a very tiny dragon named Puddle Hider) and what their special talents would be. She also decided the unicorns hated having their hair brushed. (Transference perhaps?)
I wrote an opening to the tale and emailed it to my son so she can read it and add the next bit to it. Then she will send it back and we can see what develops from there. I am not sure if I will write a conclusion or the story will continue. I guess it is just up to her.
After work TheHub and I went to vote in our local elections, but only one of us got to vote. The other forgot to bring her drivers license. I am very glad this was just an election for one seat, since every other position was unopposed. I don't feel much guilt, but for the next 4 years I can't gripe about anything this councilman does (even though I was going to vote for him anyway) Afterward we ran by a Mexican restaurant and picked up dinner. Joy!


This weeks projects:
1. Painted a floor lamp
2. Repositioned  artwork in the foyer, living room, and den.
3. Found some black spray paint made for plastic and sprayed a white plastic table I found at Mom's. It works well as a small side table for the deck.




28 comments:

  1. I love that you are writing a story with Pip. It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, though I can really tell she is a girly girl. I was thinking about writing about a squirrel named Biscuit and that got overruled rather quickly. So now our story is all shiny and filled with magical creatures, whose horns have magical powers . It is really a stretch for me to even pretend to be this girly.

      Delete
  2. Funny- here it is not even 9 AM and i've been up since 4 AM. I love the mornings and have more energy then. Catch me at 4 PM and I'm dog tired. I've always been an early bird- was the first one up of all my siblings (I'm the oldest of 6) and Mom never had to tell me when to go to bed..EVER. I will admit, I'd prefer 5 AM but my body clock says 4 regardless of when I go to bed- usually around 8 but I read for an hour or so.I've been trying to get a routine with GD who is Pip's age but she is busy with homeschooling now. My daughter tries to get her on a routine. Maybe we can steal your story idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a late night gal and I actually come alive by about 11. Early morning is just not a part of my DNA.
      Steal away with the story idea. I am really looking forward to seeing what she adds.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a pretty great week! I love that you are co-writing a story, that should be so much fun! I really need to follow your lead and get moving on some projects. Have a fantastic week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shared story writing will be a lot of fun. You have a great week also!

      Delete
  4. I forget exactly when I discovered I was no longer hip, but it's been awhile. I've become one of those people I used to make fun of when I was younger! Serves me right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This early morning stuff is for the birds...lol...yes, literally, and not for me. I just hate morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having good relationships with our adult kids is truly a j,isn't it? Seeing them as adults mkainghteir own lives, yet still our kids is one of my favorite things aobut growing older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sam! I get to enjoy them without having to worry about them. All 3 of my sons grew to be really nice guys and married wonderful women.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful idea to write a story with your granddaughter! Please share it with us when you can.

    I know well the too early morning, we were up about 5 this morning to get my grandson's father off to the airport for his flight back to his home. I'm tired but overjoyed he isn't here any longer (maybe that's not an appropriate joy...but I'll take it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A joy is a joy!
      When Pip and I finish this story I will share it. If it works we will begin a new one.

      Delete
  8. I love your joys - particularly writing a story with Pip. (My non girly self would struggle with her preferred story line though).
    It is not yet 5 here, and the morning is peaceful, quiet and still - which I count as the first joy of the day. With sunrise to look forward to in an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time writing the opening to the story because I am just not girly at all, but it actually was not terribly hard once I started thinking like an actual girl.

      Delete
  9. Oh Anne you gave the mouse a cookie, you should know better. That lamp was the cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was and as soon as I put the lamp in the room the painting above the couch started screaming in anguish because it wanted to change places with the one over the chairs. Then the rest of them chimed in and the mirror in the foyer heard the noise and woke demanding to be moved. . .not to be outdone a couple in the den started pouting and to keep any bad feeling at bay they had to be moved too. Now the living room rug is moaning and groaning.

      Delete
  10. I was laughing at your change one lamp and suddenly, the whole room needs a makeover! I've had that happen to me, too! I still have the unicorns and castles wall paper border in what used to be my daughter's bedroom when she was a little girl. It is now the spare bedroom, but, the wallpaper border remains. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the butterfly effect. One small ripple changes everything.

      Delete
  11. Your lamp reminds me of our remodeling. We started by putting up trim. Honestly, the trim is now down & we've remodeled an entire kitchen, built new cabinets, replaced all of our outdoor sheds, installed a new hot water heater, replacing garage doors, etc. I don't know how we got their from the trim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand this so much better than I wish I did. It would be so nice to paint a small chest, put it in the room and let it be.

      Delete
  12. That is looking on the bright side of things, Your pool getting two inches of water from the rain. Our local fire department will fill a pool for a $25 donation, which is cheaper than filling it from the hose with the price of water per thousand gallons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a great bargain. We have had so much rain lately that we are having to backwash nearly every day.

      Delete
  13. I love the name Puddle Hider!!!
    Don't worry about not being girly, just imagine unicorns are scruffy dogs, she'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha true!
      In the intro I wrote for her Puddle Hider literally hides in puddles. Every time he surfaces and tries to blow flames, he is wet and nothing happens but a small puff of smoke.

      Delete
  14. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.