Translate

Monday, August 10, 2020

Sup_Per_Time

"Sup_per_time, and the cookin' is easy" I can imagine Ella's voice singing that!  It's the perfect song for hot summertime cooking, because easy it one of my key aims when it is hot as blazes outside and I don't want to create more heat (or a bigger mess) than necessary.


I try to think of  what will sound tasty for dinners during the week, and at the same time will use the food I have in storage. Sometimes it hits and sometimes it misses since there are 4 of us eating right now and everyone has their own personal taste and wants. It is usually pretty easy to punt since I do have a lot of food stored, but there have been occasional unplanned trips to the grocery store when we just don't want anything I had thought might sound good.  I am seriously trying to limit any exposure any time I have to be out of the house, yard or car because wearing the masks in the heat tends to be suffocating. On those days, I often turn to a takeout meal. As usual I did not stay on plan, but we ate, had fun, and are using nothing from the entertainment budget so I am calling the excess takeout acceptable.


This is what I thought might happen for the week:
1.  Take out
2.  Take out
3.  Big salad and rolls
4.  Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots
5.  White bbq chicken, caulitato salad, green beans
6.  Grilled steak, baked potato, tossed salad
7.  Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread
8.  Soul food dinner


And this is what we actually ate:
Monday: When Son3 and DIL3 were here pre-Covid, we had taken them to The Red Pearl for dinner. It is our all time favorite Chinese restaurant, and it has a wonderful Asian market attached to it. They asked if we could get something from there again. Normally We would go to and eat, then shop for things I can't find in a traditional store. Now? I call it in, and TheHub runs in to grab it as I sit in the car waiting to hold it and keep everything upright until we get home. No in store browsing!
Assorted entrees with rice, pea leaves, sautéed mushrooms
Harvest: A smattering of green beans

Tuesday: I had ground chuck in the fridge that needed to be used and a husband who loves spaghetti and had asked to have it.  Since I had everything on hand to make the sauce, and had to cook the beef immediately, it was kind of a no brainer.
Spaghetti, meat sauce, tossed salad, toast
Harvest: 1 cucumber, 1/4 pound green beans, a handful of okra

Wednesday: I had an appointment late in the afternoon so I stopped at a small open air produce stand on the way home and bought some veggies from local farms. TheHub and I grew up in Alabama and during both of our childhoods most summertime meals were vegetarian, because the produce was abundant, inexpensive and delicious. (His mom was a much better cook than my mom was, so his veggie meals tasted better than mine!) We still love veggie meals! So does Son3 who also was raised on them during the summer, and DIL3 is a good sport and goes along with it.
Lady peas, air "fried" okra, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and cornbread.
Harvest: 2 tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 1/4 pound green beans

Thursday: Friday is garbage day here, so I try and clean out the fridge on Thursday. The aim is to have nothing to add to the garbage, but my aim and actuality rarely coincide. This week I still had an entire container of rice, half the mushrooms, about 1/2 of the pea leaves, left over and a little more than 1/3 pound of green beans, and a half of an onion in the fridge. Add in 1/2 (ish) pound of frozen ground chuck and some seasonings and we called it dinner.
Garbage rice pilaf, or Variation on a theme of leftovers, ham muffins.
Harvest: 1 cucumber, 1/3 pound green beans, 1 tomato, 1 bell pepper, 1 lime

 Friday: We drove DIL3 to Tuscaloosa for a little sight seeing. Before we left T-Town we stopped to pick up our supper at the original Dreamland. They have other restaurants but nothing beats the original. I am guessing it had something to do with the aged hickory smoke pits. The building is a true dive and not somewhere I want to dine in, but I will do take out from there anytime we are in Tuscaloosa.
Ribs, potato salad, white bread, banana pudding


Saturday: It is now food festival season, though all of them are changing to drive through only. I guess it means they are no longer festivals__just food. Saturday was the annual Lebanese Food Fest, and we were thrilled to be able to do a quick drive through the St. Elias parking lot and fill our car with deliciousness.
Spinach pie, meat pie, green beans, rice pilaf
Harvest: 1/2 pound green beans, smattering of okra pods

Sunday: I had planned Sunday's meal for Friday, but we decided to do a little road trip ending with the ever famous BBQ. Not that I minded eating something delicious and not having to cook, but it meant I absolutely had to cook what I had taken out of the freezer  to thaw Thursday afternoon.
Corned beef, cabbage, new potatoes, tomato slices, cucumber slices
Harvest:  1 pound green beans, 2 okra pods

Over all it was a good week with too much take out, but honestly until Friday morning I did not realize it was time for the Lebanese festival and I would have planned it in the weeks menu anyway. We go there every year, so it was traditional for us anyway. (I guess it means I am spending too much time at home. Every other year I would have seen the yard signs about the festival everywhere I drove. Another way Covid is changing my life.)

Now going forward, but in no particular order, here are this weeks possibilities:
1.  Hot Dogs and fixings, baked beans, coleslaw
2.  Veggie dinner, squash, okra, tomato slices, cucumber slices, cornbread
3.  Pulled pork, corn on the cob, tossed salad
4.  Marinated chicken, broccoli, rice, something else but unsure what
5.  Risotto (Son3 and DIL3 plan on cooking the meal, but this is all they have mentioned)
6.  Grilled grouper, sliced potatoes, green beans, tossed salad, crescent rolls
7.  Smoked brisket, some green veggie, salad

Hope you all have a good week staying on plan, going off plan, or having no plan at all



17 comments:

  1. I am making "piyaz" for tonight. Extremely easy, cold and tasty. Perfect for the summer. And, it's vegan if you do not add hard-boiled eggs. Thinly sliced onions, cooked navy or cannelini beans (or any bean you like), olives, hard-boiled egg cut in four pieces, olives (not a must), olive oil, salt and pepper. You can garnish it with parsley if you like. I usually soak and cook beans in advance and then freeze them in portion size for later use. As I type this, my beans are defrosting on the counter top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Top Hat BBQ up old hwy 31 is delicious. but, the one they opened in Cullman was a failure and not as good. We planned to go to Dreamland, so now is the time. I have meat thawed that will rot if i do not get in there and cook it. So, who knows what we will have to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do go to Dreamland the original is best. The others are just ho hum in comparison, but the others have a far more expansive menu.

      Delete
  3. Everything you've planned and actually had sounds delicious! My entertainment budget includes eating out/take out, if that is helpful in anyway to make the excess take out more acceptable. :)

    I must admit that, when I read the post title, a different song came to mind. But, I like the song you selected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid cooking in the summer as much as I can. A big, big hooray for salads and for 'perpetual' meals which I make in big batches and change by adding different things.
    Stay as cool as you can - and stay safer than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool is relatively easy until I go outside. This has been a very rainy summer so the humidity is outrageous. The new rules are stay at home unless it is totally necessary to leave. I had to run some food up to a friends whose husband died last week. Covid has changed the way everyone handles grief now. Normally I would have gone to her house as soon as I received the news to help her with whatever she needed. She has been distancing totally so I could only help remotely. Tonight she is having a Covid restrictive funeral with only the immediate family present and needed a little help with a meal after the service. I was go glad she asked me to help. Its the least I can do

      Delete
  5. I love summer veggie meals. I grew up with them also and look forward to them the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your meals always sound so good! I've never had Lebanese food but it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lebanese food is like most Mediterranean food, just tweaked slightly. It is mouthwatering!

      Delete
  7. Now I know why it takes me so long to get through my blog reading - every time you mention a place I google it to see what it's like - and I've just looked up T'Pol's recipe for piyaz! To me one of the worst tortures was ordering take-away and then having to smell it in the car while you're driving home! Now THAT'S hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have to look up land areas, recipes, restaurants, inns__you name it I have to go see it!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.