Translate

Friday, August 7, 2020

Eating Remnants

In an effort to have little to none  in the food waste department,
(I am failing on the none part) I am trying to incorporate leftovers in different ways. Today as I was cleaning out the fridge I found about a cup of scrappy ham pieces and needed to either toss them or use them immediately .

I was also seasoning a turks hat pan I had bought years ago but never seasoned. Since I inherited Mom's, I thought I would give this smaller one to Son3.  I have baked the pan in the oven several times with bacon drippings and decided it was finally time to see if the seasoning was working.

Since I had the pan already hot and greased with bacon fat whatever I was going to make needed to be savory, so why not some simple ham muffins.

I have had this muffin recipe in my baking repertoire for years and years. It is simple and easy to add or subtract from to make countless varieties of muffins. This recipe just does not take itself serious and does not get mad at you for any alterations you do to it. Plus, not only is it an inexpensive recipe, it is easy peasy!

1/4 cup oil
1 egg
2 tablespoons sugar (for savory muffins or 1/4 cup for sweet ones)
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 cup additional item* (I used ham)
1/2 teaspoon extract* optional based on what type muffin you are going to make
Spices and herbs * optional, see above

Mix the oil, egg, sugar and milk until well blended. Mix all the dry ingredients together and stir into the egg mix. Stir till blended but do not over stir.  Add your additional item then spoon into well greased muffin tins (or in my case a cast iron turks hat pans)

Bake at 350 for about 18 minutes. Remove from the pan and eat immediately or put them in a bag and freeze for longer storage.

* Add in berries, grated apples, cranberries and orange bits, nuts, bananas, pineapple, cooked sausage, cooked ham, diced chicken, peppers, onions, cheese.  (I am sure you can use pumpkin too but I am not a huge pumpkin fan and never tried it)
 Use part brown sugar, maple syrup, or coconut sugar if you want to.

15 comments:

  1. I was just thinking a savory muffin would be a deliciosu add to melas-I think I might borrow this come thanksgiving for leftover turkey and cranberry muffins. I love your muffin shape. what kind of a pan made the fluted bottoms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is called a Turks head or hat pan. It's cast iron pan. This one is one I bought a many years ago so most likely it is. Lodge brand. Here is a link to what it looks like (https://www.ebay.com/i/283916596371?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=283916596371&targetid=930729195542&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9012564&poi=&campaignid=10454995409&mkgroupid=101996178165&rlsatarget=pla-930729195542&abcId=2145998&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeKVlamJ6wIVceW1Ch2dVwIUEAQYAyABEgIo5PD_BwE )
      I had never seasoned it properly, but once I got Mom's well seasoned one, I decided to give this one to Son3. I have been seasoning it for about 2 weeks now, whenever the oven is being used and finally decided to try it with food. I guess I must have done it well enough because the muffins fell right out of it when I turned it over on a cutting board.

      Delete
  2. Great recipe! I like the idea of being able to make them either savoury or sweet. I've never seen a Turks head or hat pan, but they make an interesting shape.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up eating corn muffins made in these pans so it is completely normal to me.

      Delete
  3. Turkey and cranberry in the same muffin would be delicious. I am going to save this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about the easiest and most versatile recipe ever.

      Delete
  4. Yum.
    Leftovers so often taste even better in their next incarnation.
    And muffins are a wonderful way to use up small amounts of things which might otherwise go to waste. I need to get off my lazy fundament and make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using bits and pieces. It makes me feel less wasteful.

      Delete
  5. You know, I've never made or had a savory muffin! I think I need to remedy that situation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a little pepperoni, tomato bits , onion bits and pepper bits, with shredded mozzarella this makes a nice variation on a pizza muffin

      Delete
  6. I've always loved savoury muffins just as much as sweet ones. I think I made courgette (zucchini) muffins before and they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I  was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2015. A precious friend told me about Dr  Sunday herbal center the home of wellness.She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 5 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to get cured.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing dr.sunday herbal center made me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
    Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drsundayherbalcenter@gmail.com...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.