Translate

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

About Reading

Today is Tuesday which means it is time to respond to Annie's 4 questions. This week it is all about reading and relaxing. Visit her there and play along!


Some of you may have noticed I post a lot of Nina Simone videos. I just happen to love her voice and have a lot of her music that I listen to all the time, so she is one of my go- to's


1. How do you relax in the evening after dinner? TheHub and I watch one episode from some series on either Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. This is our new Covid normal. Before that we went out a couple of times a week for coffee after dinner, or went to a movie. 

2. Do you read in bed?  Every night. the best thing I have found for nighttime reading is the iPad. I can turn it on the black screen with white text and it does not bother TheHub while he sleeps.
What kind of books do you read? In bed I only read fiction, but during the day I read I read non-fiction.

3. Do you have a list of books you look forward to reading? Always! At the moment I am reading Alice Hoffman's "Seventh Heaven". Next up is "In the Shadow of Alabama" followed by "The Astonishing Color of After"

4.What is the best book you've ever read and why? I am not sure this is the best book I have read, but it is my favorite. "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. It is a book filled with the most unlikely characters imaginable, but I love how he developed them and wove them through each other's lives. Sadly it was published after his death so we never got a chance to see what would be in his next novel.

29 comments:

  1. A day without reading is beyond my comprehension.
    And, as I have previously said, I loved A Confederacy of Dunces. I don't know what my favourite book is. The Summer Book by Tove Jansson? It is one that I reread most years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me the one you reread most is the favorite. I have read Confederacy at least 12 times and never cease to enjoy it. I think I am secretly happy every time a movie deal for it comes up, it gets cancelled.

      Delete
  2. Lately, it seems that I am reading more blogs than books! Need to get back to relaxing with a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read at least every night, but often during the day too.

      Delete
  3. I love Nina Simone! I like to read in bed, too. I don't seem to bother anyone with my books. Franklin and Penelope are sound sleepers.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Nina too! I used to bother TheHub. The only downside of reading from the iPad is that it hurts more than a book if I fall sleep reading it and it conks me on the head.

      Delete
    2. I've smacked myself in the head with my tablet, too. We are not alone.

      Delete
  4. I will have to check into those books. Thanks for stopping by my blog. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use to go to the show too. Your evening plan sounds nice. You are definitely an avid reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm appalled at myself for as little reading for pleasure and personal knowledge I have done in the last year. I keep getting book ideas, and I do nothing with them. I too like theNina Simone-breathless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I read nightly, I have times when I binge read, usually during the winter. Of course I also have a bunch of titles ready to read that I have not read.

      Delete
  7. I love that you ad your husband would go out for coffee or to a movie. That just sounds so nice to me. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think its so nice that you went out after dinner :) I hope you can return to that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, but I am far more reluctant to dine in than he is.

      Delete
  9. After dinner, I read or watch TV. No, I don't read in bed, never have. I have a couple of dozen that I always have in mind to read. The best book I ever read is often the present book. However, "And, Ladies of the Club" and "Coming of Age in Mississippi."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not read "Coming of Age in Mississippi".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I'm such an early riser, I go to bed early- sometimes by 7 PM but I always read for at least an hour. I prefer contemporary literature- I'm reading and enjoying a Reese Witherspoon novel now (Cactus) which my youngest daughter recommended. I have 5 or 6 favorite books I re-read annually- Angle of Repose, A Fine Balance, Stones From the River, the Hours and Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Most of the books i read are from the library (normal times!!) or a thrift store. I've been journaling my books for many years- I think I'm on book 78 this year which is a lower number than usual- thanks Covid. I do watch some television and love PBS and medical dramas which I stream on my Roku.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was not familiar Nina Simone, but she I like her voice, too. I'm partial to the deeper female voices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some good titles lined up on your reading list. Settling in with a good book and warm beverage is one of my favorite ways to spend time relaxing. Thanks for sharing the Nina Simone vid. I like her vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love listening to Nina. I am just sorry I did not get a chance to see her live.

      Delete
  14. Yup, I always read in bed before lights off. Every. Single. Night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I don't know how people fall asleep without reading first.

      Delete
  15. We also love "Confederacy of Dunces" -- Ooh-whee!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae. Now if I could just find me a cutlass and a Lucky Dog cart!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.