Translate

Monday, October 19, 2020

Food, Not So Glorious Food

As usual my meal plan and what happened were not in total synch. I still plan but am never married to it.  Honestly I am fickle because if something I had planned does not sound good at the moment I am about to make dinner, I won't cook it. Well, that is unless something absolutely has to be cooked right that minute. Then I will just suck it up and cook what was planned even if it does not appeal to me at all.

I had been searching for some different to me keto recipes. If I make sure I have a decent variety I am less likely to jump off the wagon. When I found one for chop suey, it looked simple, sounded tasty and looked easy, to make, so I added it to the meal plan. Then, later in the week, TheHub turned on the tv to check the news, When he was flipping stations looking for it, I saw a brief clip from Flower Drum Song and remembered this song.  It was kind of a natural for me to search for it and share it with y'all, because that is just the way my noggin works.



This is what I had planned:

1. Grilled tuna, broccoli, tossed salad, potatoes (or none) 
2. Chop Suey over rice or cauliflower rice, daikon salad
3. Chili, coleslaw, keto cornbread
4. BLT salad, keto dinner rolls or regular rolls
5. Veggie meal: Butter peas (or none) squash casserole, air fryer okra
6. White sauce keto pizza bake, tossed salad
7. Take out

And this is where real life interfered with my plan
Monday: After already posting my menu for the week, I happened to read The Hawaii Plan and followed a link to a recipe that looked delicious. I immediately thought about adding it to next week's menu plan. Then later in the day I was running to the post office to mail a little surprise to Pip. I had completely forgotten it was Columbus Day. Normally we eat spaghetti on Columbus Day, but I thought why not just make the recipe in the link posted at The Hawaii Plan, for something Italian(ish). I did take a shortcut and used Rao's marinara and just jazzed it up a little. Oh my goodness it was delicious and TheHub (non keto that  he is) asked if we could add this to our regular rotation!  Absolutely!
Keto Chicken Parm, steamed broccoli.

Tuesday: When we renewed our Cosco membership recently I found a 5 pound package of Conecuh sausage for 13 bucks and change. Since it is currently selling from 4.99-5.99 a pound, buying it was a no brainer. Early Tuesday I was splitting the pack and putting it in freezer bags for longer storage.  It smelled so good that I changed my plan.
Sausage and kraut, spring greens mix

Wednesday: I forgot to plan a birthday meal for TheHub when I did the meal planning for the week. I called him in the morning morning to see what he wanted. I thought he might want a steak or something similar. Nope! He is about as low maintenance as I am.
Hamburger patty, saffron rice, broccoli, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers

Thursday: I was kind of worthless and got little accomplished, except for cooking for the freezer, which I really should not have done until I defrost the sucker. As usual, I did not think this through! Before I defrost the freezer I have to clean the laundry room which looks like a gypsy caravan stopped and camped for a few days before heading out leaving all their things behind. Until I get it tidied I have no room for the coolers to sit and hold the frozen food while I defrost.
Anyway part of this cooking spree was to use things that were just a few minuted before needing to be tossed.. When I looked in the crisper I saw a few veggies that had to be used right then. It sealed the deal for supper.
Veggie dinner: Keto air fried okra, squash casserole, coleslaw, keto cornbread.

Friday: Friday was just a ho hum day. I did not leave home all day, except to run to Mom's to grab her mail. Wouldn't you know even when you have passed away the tax man still cometh. Yep, her property taxes are due. Since I live in the same town, mine are due too. Yuck!  TheHub and I had our nightly date night and watched an episode of TheAmericans. Thanks to all the food prep on Thursday, dinner was virtually done.
Chili over beans or cauliflower rice. 

Saturday: It was another ball game day here. It was made better by Son2 and DIL2 coming over to watch the Alabama game (Roll Tide) and have a birthday celebration meal for TheHub.
Grilled tuna steaks, caulitato salad, green beans, sliced tomatoes, crescent rolls (or none) and cake (or none)

Sunday: It was a traditional Sunday for our new normal.   After online church, a few chores, and a nap we finished season 5 of The Americans. One more season and we are done. I have enjoyed it but it is getting tiring now. In the middle of the last episode, we paused the show for a quick one dish meal.
Chicken chop suey.

And now on to the new plan:  Which is going to be much shorter this week because we are headed to Florida  either Thursday or Friday. Hooray! The beach is calling my name! I plan on going to the fish market every day and getting fresh seafood for dinner. And of course I will grab some smoked tuna dip because we love it. 

1. Leftover chili over cauliflower rice or beans, coleslaw, keto cornbread
2. Corned beef and cabbage, with potatoes (or none)
3. Taco salad
4. (If needed) Whatever is languishing in the refrigerator that needs to be consumed before the getaway.
5. Fresh seafood
6. Fresh seafood
7. Take out fresh seafood,



25 comments:

  1. Hubs shopped yesterday and didn't do too bad. We will be eating a lot of pork-good thing I've put it back in my diet. Alos pasta-I'm back to liking it again after the ridiculous about of spaghetti we had at the beginning of the month/end of September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy reading about the great spaghetti fiasco you had, an how you managed to use it.

      Delete
  2. I love it when dinner is virtually done when dinner comes around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Tonight is like that and I am really happy cause I don't want to cook.

      Delete
  3. That is so neat that your dh like the Keto Chicken Parm so much that he wanted it added to the regular rotation. That Conecuh sausage is so good and flavorful, what a great deal you got. Do you watch any Tik Tok videos? There are so many Keto recipes on there. It's a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just admitting to the world that I am too old for Tik Tok.There are a few bloggers who post exclusively Keto recipes and I can just about alway find something different there.

      Delete
    2. I totally understand, Anne. I feel too old for it too, although I will look at it for a minute or two once in a while. I’m glad you are finding inspiration on the blogs. They’re my favorite thing to read. :)

      Delete
    3. I have found something to use in my everyday life from each and every blogger I read!

      Delete
  4. Have fun in Florida. And travel safely. Please.
    I have been doing some of that 'get in quickly' cooking here. As a result I have left overs and may not need to cook much this week at all. Which I am classing as a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not cooking for the week is definitely a win.
      We are only about 4 hours from the beach and will drive. Hopefully the idiot drivers will not be on the road at the same place and same time as us.

      Delete
  5. Have fun right now I have a pumpkin pie languishing in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you tried & liked the recipe. I also thought it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic. I can't thank you enough for the inspiration!

      Delete
  7. Oh, Florida and the beach sounds awesome! We're in the high 30's this afternoon, cold, cloudy and dreary! We really need to go South!!! You're planning all sounds great and the video was awesome FDS! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up listening to show tunes. Mom loved them and played them all the time, so when I see or hear certain things it triggers memories and I mentally break out into song and dance.
      I am looking forward to being at the beach. It is my happy place and we have not been in years because I could not leave Mom and she refused to go with us.

      Delete
  8. Whether or not you stick to the plan, I bet everything you make is delicious. I saw Flower Drum Song long ago. I don't remember that song. I can see why it would get in your head and make you want . . . now what was it again? Oh, yes. Chop Sueeeeeeee! It's very catchy. Which beach do you like to visit?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always go to the NW beaches. We are headed to Panama City

      Delete
    2. I hope you have the best time ever.

      Delete
  9. You have some good menu ideas. Any day that includes taco salad or chili are good to me Have a wonderfully blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your meals always sound good to me, no matter what you end up making. I hope you have a good drive to Florida and back and a safe stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I am glad it is not a holiday weekend and hope most of the nut drivers stay home.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.