Translate

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Joys for Week 43

A little info about this week's song selection: When my sister and I were teens  our family would go to the beach several times a summer and we always stayed at the same place. About two blocks up the street was a small convenience store with an attached game room (pool table, air hockey and a few arcade games) along with a jukebox. During the middle of the day, it was just too hot to be on the beach so we would throw a shirt and shorts over our suits and hightail it to the game room, which is where a lot of kids our age would hang out . The juke box had a very limited selection of music so just about every single person who came in played one of a handful of decent songs. Rescue Me by Fontella Bass was by far the most played, and I never think of the beach that I don't mentally hear this song.

As I have been doing since Jan.1, I record the joys I find daily, with the intent of reading them all on New Year's Eve. During a post covid normal year, I would expect to be dazzled by some moments when we did some wonderful things. This year I am certain the joys are more subdued, but they are there, every single day. 

 Wednesday: It was a mostly dull day, but I did get a lot of things done that I needed to get done before we went to the beach. Sometimes there is a true joy in taking care of business before leaving town just so it does not have to be thought of again.

Thursday: We finally left to go to the beach___at 6 p.m. Nothing like taking vacation time then working all day.  Anyway we made it to the beach by 10:30 and watched the moon over the water for a while before heading to bed while listening to the sounds of the waves. The master bedroom of the condo faces the gulf so you go to sleep listening to the surf, then wake looking out the sliding glass door to see nothing but emerald green water and sky. It is glorious.

Friday: TheHub sat at the table with his computer and phone and worked remotely all day. Meanwhile I enjoyed the day, and what a gorgeous day it was!  True to his working routine he did take an hour lunch break and we ran to the store and fish market. There is a true joy finding absolutely fresh fish, and a bigger joy buying it from a place with very strict Covid policies in place. They only allowed both of us in because the store was empty, but their new normal is only one person per family, masked, hands sanitized upon entering, and a maximum of 6 customers total. Well done Buddy's.

Saturday: The day was rainy and overcast, which was not a bad thing since we planned on watching the football game anyway (Roll Tide).  The game was great and afterward the rains stopped and the sun returned. It was gorgeous then.

Sunday: Another beautiful day! I not only got some much needed time in the sunshine, but we took a little excursions to Pier Park and found several Christmas presents there. Sadly, TheHub decided we would not stay any longer because he wanted/needed to get back to his beloved job so we left at about 7 and got home about 11:30. It was a pretty night for the drive though, and we encountered almost no traffic.

Monday: I was a slug. Not a total slug but still a slug. I got very little done, and just did not really want to do anything. I did run by my sister's house to see how it looks with Mom's things in it. Like my house even though our tastes are very different from Mom's they incorporated nicely without overwhelming the integrity of our personal styles. Her living room looks amazing now! Mom's gorgeous rugs have transformed the living rooms in three different houses! 
Later TheHub and I exchanged anniversary cards then went out to pick up something for dinner. Normally we get all gussied up and go to Highland's Bar and Grill for a very nice dinner. Because it's 2020 we drove to Whataburger for a burger, fries and shake. Do we know how to celebrate or what?

Tuesday: I actively decided to take a couple of days off keto so all I am going to say is White Chocolate Twix. 

Hope you have a wonderful week and can fine joy in things large and small.

 

23 comments:

  1. Isn't it lovely falling asleep/waking up listening to the surf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, or just sitting on the balcony listening to it, or sticking your toes in it!

      Delete
  2. Oooh. The sound and the scent of the ocean is glorious isn't it?
    I am so glad that you got that joy.
    And hooray for all of them. As you say, they are there, and very, very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love both the sounds and scent of the salt air and sea oats. I find it rejuvenating.

      Delete
  3. Oh, to go to sleep and wake up to the sound of waves is my absolute dream. It won't happen, living where I do, but that's why it's a dream!

    Happy anniversary! Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach is about 4 and a half hours away, but it is an easy drive. We have not been in a few years and I have missed it.

      Delete
  4. Where do you go at the Gulf? It sounds like you had a nice visit. Doing KFC for my birthday was not an idea I would have thought of normally! I need to try whataburger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panama City, though it is not my favorite. I prefer Seagrove. The place we would normally go is not open. The other 2 restaurants we go on special occasions are open but with limited outdoor seating and I am just not going into restaurants. They are both offering takeout, but from a limited menu so we just went to Whataburger.

      Delete
  5. Your weekend sounds lovely. Hey we ate outside of a sports bar for our anniversary outing, being looked at like aliens walking inside to get to patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the places here had such limited patio seating that we just punted. I figure if things turn around we can go to Highlands then and just celebrate the ability to go somewhere!

      Delete
  6. A burger, fries, and a shake sounds wonderful! I haven't had any take out food since the beginning of March!

    I'm glad you were able to have a weekend by the beach. Happy anniversary, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly the fast food was tasty, but we were laughing about how different it was from anything we have ever done on our anniversary.. It vaguely resembled our first anniversary. We had a newborn ( a couple of weeks old) and went out to eat at a restaurant where we could take him in his pumpkin seat.

      Delete
  7. We have an anniversary coming up in about a month. I don't think we have any Whataburgers around here, so we'll just have to figure out something else. Maybe Wendy's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I guess this is the year for extremely altered celebrations. I can't wait to see how skewed the holidays will be.

      Delete
  8. White Chocolate Twix...oh, baby! I'm intrigued, what kind of job does your husband have that he enjoys working at it so much, even on vacation? My husband is a workaholic, but usually will abide by my "no working on vacation" rules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure he really enjoys it, but he starts getting phone calls at 8 am and it continues all day. He is cfo of a primary care organization.

      Delete
  9. Overall it sounds like it was a glorious week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dream you and slug and the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on down. Delta flies into the beach airport. It is only about 15 minutes from the condo

      Delete
  11. You're a couple of wild and crazy kids.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. The beautiful people always want to hang with us cause we are such party animals

      Delete
  12. Rescue Me by Fontella Bass is such a good song. They used to play it on the TV show American Dreams. I agree with you that there is a true joy in taking care of business before leaving town. I clean my house before I leave, so when I come back it will be to a clean house. Happy Anniversary! Your trip to the beach sounds lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.