Translate

Monday, October 26, 2020

Food, and Food For Thought






                                                                         Going




                                                                      Going



                                                                          Gone

And so am I!. . .  It breaks my heart that we came home Sunday night. The weather was gorgeous and I have never seen the beach that crowded in late October. It was like a mid-summer beach trip with slightly cooler weather. 

Each week I make some sort of meal plan and each week I deviate from it, but that is just how I roll. Whenever I get locked into something I really and truly start feeling suffocated. I guess that is why I have never felt compelled to go on one of those international tours. I can't think of anything worse than having my day preplanned for me.  I think I like the idea of planning much more than the actual plan. With food it does make me look through the foods I have in storage and see what. needs to be used quickly to keep from wasting it,  

So this is what I planned:
1. Leftover chili over cauliflower rice or beans, coleslaw, keto cornbread
2. Corned beef and cabbage, with potatoes (or none)
3. Taco salad
4. (If needed) Whatever is languishing in the refrigerator that needs to be consumed before the getaway.
5. Fresh seafood
6. Fresh seafood
7. Take out fresh seafood,

This is what actually happened:
 Monday:I was all about using stuff in the refrigerator.
 Leftover chili over beans or caulirice

Tuesday; Again it was time to use things that were about to ruin or were leftover
Taco salad

Wednesday  I had been to the produce stand on Tuesday and bought what might well be the last local summer produce.
Peas or leftover caulitato salad, air fried okra, or boiled okra, tomato and cucumber slices.

Thursday: We got away headed to the beach much later than I anticipated (thanks to TheHub's job) We were only about 30 miles out of town and I was starving because I had not eaten all day. We pulled into Jack's en route.
Bunless burger

Friday: It was a gorgeous beach day. Mid day I went to the seafood market closest to the condo and bought a couple of meals worth of food, plus steamed shrimp and smoked tuna dip.
 Broiled red snapper, mashed potatoes (or none) broccoli, tossed salad, rolls

Saturday: It wa a rainy day. perfect for ball game watching and eating.
Surf and turf, Broiled steak, seared grouper, coleslaw, cooked carrots, saffron rice

Sunday: We stayed at the condo until about 7 p.m. then decided to come on home. (Actually TheHub decided to come on home. I wanted to stay but his mistress he calls his job, is much more seductive than me.) We just ate in the car.
Pimento cheese sandwich

Now this weeks @#$% meal plan.(insert your favorite expletive here):
1 Monday is our anniversary so we will do some sort of takeout.
2. Corned beef and cabbage
3. Philly cheesesteak casserole, tossed salad
4, Halloween we traditionally have hot dogs, but this year Halloween is also on a ball game night, so maybe a takeout chicken dinner. Who knows? Could be either.
5. Veggie meal (depends on what is available at the produce stand)
6. Low country shrimp boil, coleslaw 
7. White bbq chicken, caulitato salad

I was in a very pissy mood when I planned this weeks meals. Both the meals and the attitude are subject to  and probably will change. 

Have a great week on plan, off plan or with no plan.


23 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! I'm assuming your mood is better now- BTW how many years? You could have waited until Halloween to tie the knot LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mood is not better right now. It will be before too long! We were in school and had a Friday night wedding so we could have a weekend honeymoon . We were bound to the 26th because it was a non-football weekend (Roll Tide) and we had to be back before too late on Sunday night because if I remember correctly TheHub had a Monday morning class, maybe at 9? Of course we could have waited until the semester break, but Mom did not want us to "ruin" the holidays. Or I guess we could have waited until the summer, but I can't stand summer weddings in Alabama. It is just too hot and sticky.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary-Another October one amongst the blog rolls. I feel bad that I never make shrimp because I can't eat it, but really should treat the hubs. I'm pretty sure we will have nothing but squash or pumpkins lingering about maybe in the apple orchard barn stores, but I didn't even run to the farmers market last weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a huge shrimp fan but TheHub remarked that if I don’t like something we never have it. So saffron rice and shrimp are going to be on the menu regularly. Since I am not eating grains the rice is a non issue and I can eat about 3 shrimp before the texture starts to bother me.

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary. I do hope your mood has lightened.
    Your answer to SAM's comment reminded me that there were foods I had never tasted until I left home - because my father didn't like them and they were not served. Pumpkin (which I love) was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excluding food based on preference must be universal. I may go overboard with the saffron rice and shrimp now though.

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary!

    Since you've talked about the Alabama football team, I've been watching a bit of the games. I have to say I tend to like the college ball better than the NFL. Our CFL is still not playing.

    Hope the mood improves! Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like college football much better than the pros. And I especially like watching Alabama.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos! I'm glad you were able to get away but sorry you couldn't stay longer. Sounds like you had some yummy meals while you were there. Happy Anniversary! I hope your mood improves soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we had a little get away. It was just too short and too much focus was on work (at least by one of us)

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary! My daughter says the same thing about the food she ate when she lived at home - I would cook only the things I liked to eat! :D Now, however, she's on her own and get to try whatever she likes! And I continue to eat what I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I cook for both of us, so you eat what the cook likes or go elsewhere.

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary, it is 100% ok to be pissy sometimes, ask me how I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If Daddy did not like or want a food, it was not cooked or served. I did cook things I did not like and served to children...think peas. Well, it turns out I am allergic. I am glad mama did teach us about banana sandwiches. I don't think Daddy like them, but this was for our lunches at school or home. Nothing interfered with his meat, beans, and potatoes!

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Fortunately we never had liver growing up because Mom hated it

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary! We too got married on a Friday, the Friday after Thanksgiving. My husband had just started a new job and he had no vacation time, however they gave him one day off to get married. We spent our "honeymoon" driving from WV to New Orleans where I was starting my new job, also. We were in school together, too, but it took me a little longer to finish my thesis than he did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did make it to Atlanta for the weekend, but were back by Sunday evening. We have laughed about the honeymoon because now honeymoons are such a huge deal.

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary! So happy you got in a gorgeous beach day. What a treat. You've reminded me that I need to sort out our Halloween meal plans. Honestly, it will probably a special treat of takeout pizza, depending on whether the kids meet up with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year we have ball games and Halloween both at the same time, so it possibly changes our traditions

      Delete
  11. I like Bill Withers singing that song - but I loved Michael Jackson's version when he was a young boy. He could really hit those notes. I'm glad you had a lovely time at the beach. I think you need to give your husband's mistress a stiff talking to though, making you come back early. As for not cooking things you don't like, I never particularly liked peas so I never cooked them. One time I asked my son what he had had for lunch at the babysitter's and he said "hamburger, fries and little round green balls"! After that I started cooking peas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "little round green balls" is funny! No matter what I am still not cooking liver or beets. I will buy bananas but they are never going to pass my lips.
      I have nothing against saffron rice, but TheHub would eat it every day. I am going to flood him with it. I am not anti shrimp. The taste is fine, I just don't like to eat it because of the texture (and it squeaks when you chew it)

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.